What is this ?

-

superbirdrag

Reaction score
I am looking for some one who has extensive knowledge about A-body barracudas . There is no fender tag . I know the car is a 1969 barracuda convertible with a 340 engine . What else is it ?

BH27P9B340937

without a build sheet or fender tag, there's not much info. it codes out to a 69 vert with a 340

B = Barracuda
H = High trim line
27 = Convertible
P = 340-4bbl HP engine
9 = 1969 model year
B = built at Hamtramck, Michigan
340937 = serial number

Is there a broadcast sheet? Without a fender tag or broadcast sheet you’re not going to get more details on the car relative to what options it left the factory with.

All 68 340 barracudas were S. Not all 69 340 verts were S. You could get a 340 in 69 in all 3 body styles and it not be an S.

I was told all 69 convertibles with 340s were formula s ?
Hopefully the seller didn’t quote that to you to justify a higher selling price? Considering it doesn’t have a fender tag, hopefully you got a decent discount and it didn’t ‘even out‘ with him claiming they are all Formula S’??

According to GG white book Plymouth made approximately 125 plain Barracuda convertibles with a 340 (34 4spd, 91 auto). Rare indeed.

From what i understand, all Formula S cars had the engine call out in the side stripe. Whether they allowed a stripe delete idk. The other easily identible thing is the blackout tail panel. Surely it has probably been repainted some time in it's life, but if there is a hint of black back there under the current paint, it might be a clue. Good luck. Looks like a non S may be a real find.

There was indeed a stripe delete, I ordered my 68 Formula S 4 speed car "stripe delete". When I got it home, I put 67 hood inserts on it and sold the 340 inserts. I didn't want anyone knowing it was a 340 car, I claimed it as a 318 that I put a 4 barrel on.

I am looking for some one who has extensive knowledge about A-body barracudas . There is no fender tag . I know the car is a 1969 barracuda convertible with a 340 engine . What else is it ?

BH27P9B340937
Get the back seat cushion out, & see if You've got a VIN matching broadcast sheet, if so all of Your answers are right there.
As SSD called it out, H is High Line trim, so a real chance it is an "S" model...how 'bout some pics...We luuuuv pics!!!

I believe all 2nd gen cudas had "H" as trim level. Has no bearing on it being an S or not.
OP hasnt been back, must have not liked the answers lol.
Get the back seat cushion out, & see if You've got a VIN matching broadcast sheet, if so all of Your answers are right there.
As SSD called it out, H is High Line trim, so a real chance it is an "S" model...how 'bout some pics...We luuuuv pics!!!

I believe all 2nd gen cudas had "H" as trim level. Has no bearing on it being an S or not.
OP hasnt been back, must have not liked the answers lol.
Ahh, good to know, while I dig the A-'cudas I is faily ignit 'bout 'em...:thankyou:

this car is bad , it need so much rust repair but it can be done. I was thinking of using it as a parts ar for my 68 s because it does have all the pieces i need .

this car is bad , it need so much rust repair but it can be done. I was thinking of using it as a parts ar for my 68 s because it does have all the pieces i need .
i would seriously consider trying to save it rather than part it. it's potentially an extremely rare car.

How does this read . A total of 125 340 verts but 83 were 340s ? Or do you add the 125 and 83 to get the total 340 verts

IMG_5742.jpeg

This car was a automatic . Does it mean only 8 cars were with 340 S ?

Last edited:
-
Back