What is up with the Dodge Dealers???

-
Well there are 3 guys that got new SSs on the Chalenger talk forum, went to the track and none of them ran as fast as the mags say.

Yes it all comes down to theriver somewhat.

But these cars do 170+ top end and high 12s stock with F1 tires and a good driver stock if it is a SRT. We also have many documented cases of 0-60 times from 4.48 to 4.7. My best has been 4.62 and I have run a 13.35 in the 1/4 at elevation in Bil MT. That was before I did a few misc mods to the car.

I beleive there is a 12 in a standard srt8 like
you said, it makes the mph to do so!
Tires make a HUGE difference.
Hell i cut half a sec of my car just by using street slicks.

If you want to buy in the U.S., try Dave Smith Motors in Idaho. They are the largest Dodge dealer in the world (so they say). Last time I checked, they sold at $50 over cost.

I wanted a Challanger really bad. I waited for the Classic pkg which was late release and when it was finally available I could buy it my way for $32,500 prox. 5.7 6 speed minimum options. Came down to it, I decided I would rather build two old cars my way for the same money.
Rat

My local dealer offered me a brand new '10 Challenger R/T Classic at $1,000 under MSRP or would order one for Dealer Invoice. Not a bad deal . . .

Not just the Dodge dealers, guys. bpwordman can attest to a certain Ford dealership being arrogant, too. With Mustang Shelby GTs, both black and silver stripes, both sitting in the showroom, both over MSRP. One sits for over a year and won't move. So what do they do? Order in another just like it. And then the GT500 rolls onto the lot. Goes into the showroom, gets roped off, potential buyers are blown off because they can't touch the freakin' car without filling out the paperwork. Oh, by the way, the GT500 gets marked up $20,000 over sticker. So, no one wants it. The owner's kid trades the GT500 off to another dealership for a stripped out Focus...
Flash forward to another Ford dealership I worked for who does a huge amount of sales with Rousch...427R's, P51's, Nitemares. He's got two GT500s sitting on the lot next to the road. Unthinkable for a lot of dealerships. I did NY State Safety Inspections on three GT500s in a week. I took care of a pre-delivery problem on a P51 sitting on the company's rollback to be delivered to the buyer who lives three hours away.
Why is one selling 'em left and right and the other trading his car off? Because one understands that selling at sticker and taking care of the customer is going to get him more business, the other was just an arrogant little prick...
By the way, if you live in the Northeast, the Rousch certified dealer also owns the Dodge dealership across the street and is starting to get into the performance end of Chrysler, too...

Not just the Dodge dealers, guys. bpwordman can attest to a certain Ford dealership being arrogant, too. With Mustang Shelby GTs, both black and silver stripes, both sitting in the showroom, both over MSRP. One sits for over a year and won't move. So what do they do? Order in another just like it. And then the GT500 rolls onto the lot. Goes into the showroom, gets roped off, potential buyers are blown off because they can't touch the freakin' car without filling out the paperwork. Oh, by the way, the GT500 gets marked up $20,000 over sticker. So, no one wants it. The owner's kid trades the GT500 off to another dealership for a stripped out Focus...
Flash forward to another Ford dealership I worked for who does a huge amount of sales with Rousch...427R's, P51's, Nitemares. He's got two GT500s sitting on the lot next to the road. Unthinkable for a lot of dealerships. I did NY State Safety Inspections on three GT500s in a week. I took care of a pre-delivery problem on a P51 sitting on the company's rollback to be delivered to the buyer who lives three hours away.
Why is one selling 'em left and right and the other trading his car off? Because one understands that selling at sticker and taking care of the customer is going to get him more business, the other was just an arrogant little prick...
By the way, if you live in the Northeast, the Rousch certified dealer also owns the Dodge dealership across the street and is starting to get into the performance end of Chrysler, too...

You got it right with the arrogant pricks Robert, we know a guy who sells Corvettes, well actually my wife knows his wife, well thats him. Plus he is one of the cheesiest people I have met.

I worked as a retail manager for over 10 years and the idea is to turn merchandise not store it. I would rather sell something for less to 5 people then try to get a bigger nut on 1. If they did the math. :read2: 5 sales multiplies much faster then 1. 8)

You got it right with the arrogant pricks Robert, we know a guy who sells Corvettes, well actually my wife knows his wife, well thats him. Plus he is one of the cheesiest people I have met.

I worked as a retail manager for over 10 years and the idea is to turn merchandise not store it. I would rather sell something for less to 5 people then try to get a bigger nut on 1. If they did the math. :read2: 5 sales multiplies much faster then 1. 8)

The kid that bpwordman and I worked for never understood the concept of turning merchandise. He'd buy used from the auctions, let it set on the lot for ages. Most dealerships around here have the 30-60 day rule: if it doesn't move in that amount of time, time to wholesale it. This kid kept things forever on the lot and complained about inventory. What a shrewd business move it was to mark up the GT500 $20,000 above cost, then get impatient and trade it off for a stripper Focus...that didn't sell, either. And his arrogant sales manager never liked to fix anything. Woudn't take care of necessary repairs up front, we'd refuse to pass 'em on NYSI, he'd take the car down the street, have someone do a lick 'em and stick 'em on safety inspection, then wonder why the customer would come back b****ing up a storm about a used car that shouldn't have passed inspection. It gave the dealership as a whole a bad name.
On a side note, since you brought up Corvettes, we had a joke when I was the Chevy garage: what's the difference between a 'Vette and a porcupine? A porcupine had pricks on the outside...

Even @ sticker price, it's way outta my price range. I'm not buyin' sh** right now. You'll probably see a bunch o' old dudes driving them around!!......that's all who can afford 'em!!

I totally agree, they are out of most peoples price range and for the average person owning one is a pipe dream. The Mustang is within a lot of peoples budget especially when it comes to the aftermarket availability and that is why Ford as a company is out selling Dodge and Chevy. This was going on back in 93 when the new 94 Dodge trucks hit the market, the prices were ridicules so my father went across the street to Ford and ordered a new Ford truck for almost $10,000 less than the Dodge with less options.

Long story made short....I had been trying to buy a Challenger R/T for over 8 months. No dealer that I contacted in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Port Lavaca, Dallas, Austin, Houston, and pretty much any place in between would sell one for sticker. I wanted a base 6 speed R/T with NO OPTIONS. They would not order one or try to locate one. So I finally decided to do something. I bought an 09 Mustang GT 5 speed manual trans and NO OPTIONS. The car was over $10k cheaper so I am using that extra money to redo my 70 Duster!! I like my new Mustang, and I love having the extra money to fix up the Duster, so it was a win/win as far as I could see!!!

I have a family member that works for the largest Dodge dealer in this area and even the employees say the arrogance of the dealers and management is where troubles begin and until that changes, Dodge is going to remain in this financial trouble.

I know people that went to look at the Challengers but because of the price and attitude, ended up going across the street to the Ford dealer and leaving with a Mustang.

Brand loyalty only goes so far.

Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of the Challenger by far over the other two, but there is too much that I don't like. I'm sure you all know, but I'll vent anyway!

Too damn pricey, RT as much as SS Camaro
Too damn heavy
Will never have the aftermarket that Mustang & Camaro will
The parts that are out are too expensive and tuning sucks
Quality is better than past, but still not up to par.
Blah blah blah!

I have and SRT8 Charger and it rattles, clunks, creaks, etc. I love the power, looks, and seats, but everything else is just OK or worse. Whoever said that the Challenger is more of a luxury car is crazy. I thought the same, until I sat in my friends CTS. Its not even close. I wish I had bought a used 2005ish CTS-V. They are pimped out, 6-speed, way nicer. Another friend has a Challenger RT. It rattles, clunks, already has noisy throw-out bearing, no parts available.

I absolutely hate Mustangs, but the 2010 is actually growing on me. I like the subtle changes they made. Camaro still hasn't got me, except for the LS3.

If I ever buy a more modern sports car, it will most likely be a used C5/C6 Vette. They have their flaws too I'm sure, but I think they are the best bang for the buck. Have a friend with a C5 TT 6 spd, stock except for LS6 intake, and exhaust. Makes 525/575 and runs low 11's and still gets high 20's mpg. Probably only has $25K in it too!

OK, I'm finished. Sorry for being long winded!

Oh....Dealers and salesmen.....I'm not even going there!

Buy the Mustang. Look at the aftermarket for the car. There is endless stuff you can buy for it and it keeps growing. Yea a lot of people have them, but with all the crap you can buy, you can definalty add a ton personal touches. MSRP for a Base GT is $28K....

Leave the "new" Cramaro for the gold chain crowd. I wouldn't support Government Motors anyway.

Have you considered a STI, pretty fun car.....

At over 4,000 pounds, those new cars sound like a pretty good deal $/lb!!!

Seriously, the new Challenger is gargantuan. I park next to one every day and the best thing about it is that it sort of looks like an old one. After that it is just heavy and expensive. Plus the interior isn't as nicely styled as the exterior. I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about picking one up, but there is plenty not to like.

Might be a great car after it depreciates to half or less.

Keywords: Portly, large, huge, tall, land yacht, rebodied 300, elephant, enormous, leviathan, titanic, walloping, ginormous, grande, behemoth, geezer

Have you considered a STI, pretty fun car.....

yep but new ones go for 38k. Because of the new body, used ones are 16-20k and a brake job is 5k using stock parts if you need calipers. They are very fun and imo the '04 is the best value because it's the lightest but buying a used turbo car is something to think about as well.

its kinda funny to hear about the weight of the new challenger, the car is what 4400lbs? a '70 was '3800 with a 426? thats only 600lbs more for all the crap like air bags and crash beams. Not to mention all the ones I have been in don't squeak/rattle and have some the amenities that people seem to want.
just sayen
personally I would rather have a '70 but the new ones seem to be decent in m book.

If you want to buy in the U.S., try Dave Smith Motors in Idaho. They are the largest Dodge dealer in the world (so they say). Last time I checked, they sold at $50 over cost.

I checked out that website but they do not sell new cars to people wishing to export.

Also the info I've seen states that Chrysler won't honor warranty either side of the border if the car has been imported.

I was at the Dependable Dodge dealership today in Canoga Park, CA. This silver classic R/T was loaded. It stickered for $38,835 and they had it advertised at the show for $300 under sticker That's not a price that whispered in someones ear, it was advertised like that.

4021688934_1c8f60cdde.jpg

I really like the Challengers but I consider them more of a crusier. It's bigger then the others which makes it nice for the open road. If you are looking at a Mustang, wait until the 2011s when they are introducing the 400+ hp engine. The current 315hp GT just does not cut it compared to either the R/T or the SS

I really like the Challengers but I consider them more of a crusier. It's bigger then the others which makes it nice for the open road. If you are looking at a Mustang, wait until the 2011s when they are introducing the 400+ hp engine. The current 315hp GT just does not cut it compared to either the R/T or the SS

Or you can check out my former employer for Mustangs. Holy Crap he's got a P51 for $48,000! List on these things is close to $70,000... He's also got two SRT8s over on the Dodge side for the same price as he's selling the 427Rs. Didn't check his Chevy dealership for Camaros and prices...

holy crap, i'm surprised to hear im not the only one that is disappointed in the new challenger. for the price i would get a 350Z. cheaper and amazingly fun to drive.

Wow, I just visited another dealership in a nearby town and they had 5 challengers. 3 R/T's and 2 SRT8s

Lowest price for an R/T - $48000!!

My son just bought a "used" 09 Black R/T. it had 6K miles. The PO done some upgrades to it before he could no longer make the payments and traded it for an Avenger R/T. the PO put after market exhaust, wheels\tires, KN cold air intake and "chip". The dealer had $40K on the car. We talked to the sales guy, I told him 40k was to much for a used car. Being a smart a$$ he called the new dealer and asked how much for a new one, the price was $46K. So me being a smarta$$ told him that was way to much for a fu_king car. So needless to say the sales guy gave my son $12K for his 01 Chebby blazer. So he gave $32k for the car with 6k miles.
My son is in the Army and just drove his Challenger to Ft Bilss, TX from KY and got 25mpg crusing 10mph over the speed. I hear that TX open road is 70mph. Dealers that want to sell cars just need to be told what the car is worth and they dropped $8k off, easy for them when priced to high and they know it.

-
Back