What kind of oil filter do you guys use?

-
Lot of people here smarter than me of whom I respect their opinion a lot but I have been using Fram for 40 years on my race cars and all without 1 oil related failure. Your experiences may vary.

Wix is still made here, and many other places. As stated, they have gone the "global" scene.

Motorcraft is still made in the USA as of right now. They are good filters, too.

I like the Wix 51515 and Fleetguard LF551A.

Fleetguard aka Cummins (as in diesel engine) Filtration makes filters in Cookville, TN under their own label and used to do OEM work for other heavies in the business.

I like the Wix 51515 and Fleetguard LF551A.

Fleetguard aka Cummins (as in diesel engine) Filtration makes filters in Cookville, TN under their own label and used to do OEM work for other heavies in the business.

Yup. It's funny most of the best filters don't have the big flashy names.

Wix is still made here, and many other places. As stated, they have gone the "global" scene.

Motorcraft is still made in the USA as of right now. They are good filters, too.

Damn skippy Robster,

FoMoCo's FL1A after all these years is still a re-branded 51515 !!!
Hell lets paint the can pink, black, lemon yellow, or put flames & orange pokka dots
on it.

some dumb azz said:
Single Most important caveat here however...
Wix --- North American Production --- is made in the USA, & DOES NOT SUFFER from
the ... mmmm... latency of overseas quality control groups.

Damn skippy Robster,

FoMoCo's FL1A after all these years is still a re-branded 51515 !!!
Hell lets paint the can pink, black, lemon yellow, or put flames & orange pokka dots
on it.

Exactly.......just like oil, anti freeze and everything else. There are not many factories world wide that actually "make" the stuff. Most things are re-branded in some one else's brand.

One filter I will not run is Fram. I don't give a rat's butt who makes it. lol

RustyRatRod said:
One filter I will not run is Fram. I don't give a rat's butt who makes it. lol

Laugh My F'N azz off Mr Rob---

Fram is a great filter for lets say <20% duty cycle on a lawn tractor ? or perhaps a weed
eater? or an Polaris watercraft < 110 cc,? or an Kubota? , or an Stihl chainsaw?, or a Kenmore
washing machine?,or two rats creating heat scre***g in a wool sock...?

Mr Bundy
Buy the USA branded Wix filter !!!!

As stated here , hard to beat Wix. But in a pinch I also use Purolater oil filters. Just make sure you get the premium Pure 1 , not the classic.

Laugh My F'N azz off Mr Rob---

Fram is a great filter for lets say <20% duty cycle on a lawn tractor ? or perhaps a weed
eater? or an Polaris watercraft < 110 cc,? or an Kubota? , or an Stihl chainsaw?, or a Kenmore
washing machine?,or two rats creating heat scre***g in a wool sock...?

I used Fram on the '66 Mustang I put about 200,000 miles on. I used Fram on pretty much everything else I've owned for the last 30 years or so, and like Back In Time said, no oil related failures.

I've even used Fram in my Stealth for the 10+ years I've owned it, and those engines are notorious for bearing failures.

When I had my camshaft replaced recently, the Microguard (the guy at O'Reilly's told me they were a Wix brand) filter I bought for the 340 wouldn't fit with my headers because the "stock" filter they sell is too long. The shop doing the work put this really tiny filter on the car and I went about switching that out (it couldn't have been half a quart capacity). I went to another O Reilly's (I was in a different city, nothing against the first store) where a helpful counter person went through all the dimensions on all of the filters since he said, and showed us, that part interchange numbers aren't always the same physical size. He found a Purolator that would work and Wix 51085 that I wound up using. It turns out the Wix filter is the same filter that would be used on my 4.7L Dakota, so Mopar parts can still interchange.

For my gas engines I usually go with Purolator, or, believe it or not, the Walmart brand filter. Walmart filters, last time I looked, were made by Champ Industries, as were Bosch and many other companies. For my Cummins I run purolator or Wix. Frams were known to come apart and plug the oiling passages on early Cummins Dodge motors, killing the motors. So I haven't used Frams in over 20 years. When I ran them on my gas engines I noticed the lifters were noisy at start up til they filled up with oil, which told me their anti-drainback valves were no good. Most of your engine wear occurs at start up.

This should be a sticky? Along with the soon to be asked and argued about for the millionth time "what spark plug to use" !? Can't say I didn't ask when I was new to the forum and relatively speaking still am.

This should be a sticky? Along with the soon to be asked and argued about for the millionth time "what spark plug to use" !? Can't say I didn't ask when I was new to the forum and relatively speaking still am.

Most of these types of questions should be sticks, and should have their own FAQ section!!

About 20 years ago I did an oil change on my slant 6 dart, pulled off the FRAM filter, and the oil wouldn't drain out of it. I could feel the oil moving around inside it, almost like I was holding a jar of pickles or something. So either it was so clogged up that oil couldn't move through it, which is doubtful on a 3000 mile change cycle, or the filter media had collapsed inside the filter on gummed up the flow. Either way, that was the last Fram filter I ever used.

Oh, and to further the discussion about parts stores rebranding someone else's filter under their own brand, I should warn our members in the great white north that Canadian Tire's Motomaster oil filters are rebranded Fram filters. You only have to take a look at the Motomaster and the equivalent Fram side by side and it will be obvious.

That's not to say that all of Cdn Tire's stuff is junk; their Motomaster Formula 1 oils are made by "SHELL / SOPUS PRODUCTS / PENNZOIL-QUAKER STATE" so it's all probably pretty good. I, for one, never have a problem using their oils. Just their filters.

Good lord this question AGAIN !!!! Walmart sales mopar filters for less - black with the mopar M . I think my uncle said they're made by Purolator. I use it on my new stroker motor for drag racing, no problem.

Wait a week...and it will start over again...and what oil to use also.....

I've never had a problem with Fram or any other filter brand for that matter.
If you're worried about it, buy an O.E.M. filter and oil for your car and be done with it.

:)Yes, and you could buy 18 Yugos for the price of a hellcat

Yeah, but i'd trust those 74 WIX way more than your expensive stainless SCREEN.
Oh, and I can stick a magnet on the WIX ,too!

Wix.. ( Carquest gold,Napa gold ,as mentioned,Purolator..) ,the way to go. Great luck with Baldwin, K & N ( overpriced.., but nice) . Avoid Fram ( myself ..),at all costs,even on lawn mowers...

Yeah, but i'd trust those 74 WIX way more than your expensive stainless SCREEN.
Oh, and I can stick a magnet on the WIX ,too!

Taint it interestin to see some folks still buy snake oil?

-
Back