What leaf springs?? Experts please chime in

-

sbmopar318

Reaction score
I'm finding so many options from stock/xhd/superstock and /6 springs so what should I run and why? My car is a :
1972 scamp
I'm running a 360ci
An 8 1/4 390 gear posi

I recommend ESPO 6 leaf per side springs. The ones on my Duster are from 2002, so 15+ years old. Also works great with a 470hp 340 and a 4-speed. These are stock height. Also put a set on my friend's 71 Demon and they are great there too. They will make them in 1" height increments as well.

IMG_20170409_181750.jpg

I just did mine. Everybody on here raved about doing the 1" over. I have to say, I'm not pleased with the results. I wish I would have done stock height, like Goldduster. Again I think it's a preference thing.

I agree with mycuda
Race springs are completely,IMO, different from street springs.
It also depends on what mods were done to the front or will be done. Also on the condition of your bladder and kidneys. or if you will be towing. If you just like to cruise around on the weekend or if you are a hard charger. Or if your 360 has mega torque or not.
And it also depends on your current complaint.

Duh should have clarified my preference is to have some rake. Nothing crazy but good mean stance. Also strip premormance preferred

To solve for rake, you can just get yours re-arched.
For a little more performance you could add a second mainleaf, from under the front eye to under or near to under, the rear eye.
Adding rake at the back,also subtracts caster at the front. Losing caster gives up high speed stability.
Adding rake at the back,shifts weight to the front. If the front ride height changes, the camber may also change.
if the camber changes, so will the tow-in.

Sometimes after raising the back,the car wanders at hiway speed. A new alignment may/will probably, be required.

ESPO Springs and Things are awesome. Give them a call and tell them exactly what you are looking for and they will take care of the rest. Great staff, great prices, and fast delivery.

Stay away from SS springs. You'll be glad you did.

Mine started going away last year. I got ahold of a set of duster 340 OEM springs. Painted and rebuilt them and am using those. I'm happy with these. They are 6 leafs and cost me nothing.

I recommend ESPO 6 leaf per side springs. The ones on my Duster are from 2002, so 15+ years old. Also works great with a 470hp 340 and a 4-speed. These are stock height. Also put a set on my friend's 71 Demon and they are great there too. They will make them in 1" height increments as well.

View attachment 1715043448
I also did this exact thing except I used the 1 inch over bend. Excellent and worth it. I'll do it again. IMO, they added the right amount of rake to the car.

What part of IL are you in? I run the 863/864 SS springs on my car. I have a set of slightly used Mancini XHD springs that I won't be using but a buddy has first dibs.If he doesn't want them then I will be listing them. I'm in the west burbs of Chicago

What part of IL are you in? I run the 863/864 SS springs on my car. I have a set of slightly used Mancini XHD springs that I won't be using but a buddy has first dibs.If he doesn't want them then I will be listing them. I'm in the west burbs of Chicago

I'm in Peoria. Leaning towards SS but Define slightly used?

Meaning they were installed in a car and it sat in the garage and never driven before being swapped out.

As long as ride height is part of things here. Does anyone have any numbers on the original ride height on a 72 small block automatic Swinger? Since the hot rod was 30 years old when I got it, I have no idea about it's stock attitude as it was produced. The springs were well sacked when I got it, and hasn't improved any since that time. Personally I prefer a bit of a rake. I'm sure new OEs would raise it to a small amount, more would be better. In the near future it will get an improvement differential wise, either an 8 3/4 or a 9" Ford. Currently with the assistance of Gabriel and 40 lbs. of air, it has 15x8 rallies with 245 60s.

-
Back