what make model of carb for '64 slant 225

-

rdb

Reaction score
Well as some of you know, my 64 dart came with a much later slant, early 70s maybe, but I want to put it back they way it would have been. My auto guy says if I can get the parts he can do it. Service manual states 2 brands .. Holley, which I know and BBL which is new to me . Does any one know what make/model single bbl carb would have most liekly been on this... what should I look for? Saw this on ebay but don't know enough to tell.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-1bbl-Carb-List-3920-62-63-64-65-66-67-68-225-170ci-SLANT-6-Dodge-Mopar-/251683494349?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a998159cd&vxp=mtr"]Holley 1BBL Carb List 3920 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 225 170CI Slant 6 Dodge Mopar | eBay[/ame]

Model 1920 Holley would be correct. I'm not sure which exact one would be correct fot 64 though. The correct 1920 has linkage set up for the rod style throttle linkage.

My 64 Valiant slant has a Carter BBS. You can find a pdf manual on-line. Whether Carter or Holley, your year should have a rotating rod from the throttle instead of a cable, unless your car was originally a V-8 (unlikely).

thanks for the info -- sure seems like either one will do. No idea what to pay for a rebuilt one or one needing rebuilding. I guess demand dictates prices on these

find a good core, get a rebuild kit and either you or your mechanic can do it. there is an insulator (plastic) where the rod goes that is available on ebay. I have found some from members on slantsix.org. mine are 1920 Hollley. do you have the correct throttle rod and gas pedal to make it work. if auto, the kickdown? things to consider.....

Both Holley 1920 and Carter BBS were used in production so either would be correct. The originals used the older style bimetallic coil in the choke well on the intake manifold for the choke action, if you are wanting year-correctness. For that period, the choke pull-off is not a vacuum dashpot external to the top of the carb body as on later models; it is a choke piston within the top of the body.

This video shows an intermediate year 1920 with a choke piston but with the later electric choke action. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-htTHAkBvc"]Holley 1920 Carburetor Rebuild Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

My 64 Valiant slant has a Carter BBS. You can find a pdf manual on-line. Whether Carter or Holley, your year should have a rotating rod from the throttle instead of a cable, unless your car was originally a V-8 (unlikely).

I second Bill. My "new" 64 Valiant 225 manual trans has a BBS. I believe it's a model 3677S?

Some numbers I came up with Carter 3682s , 3684s . Holley model 1920 , R-2886 , R-2887 , R-2888 used on both the Dart and Valiant 225 /6

Just a FYI. OEM carb was smaller with a 170 standard shift trans. The 170 auto trans, and all 225's used the larger carb. The larger carb is more common, and can be used in place of the smaller carb. This info is for 1964 and 1965 "A" bodies. Might pertain to others, also, but can't be positive. It is correct for either the Holley or Carter carb.

I guess opinions differ on which one (Carter/Holley) was better -- or were they the same as far as temperament and care-and-feeding?

The Carters had a reputation for vacuum leaks at the throttle plate shaft. A rebushing job fixed that. The Holleys were known as a "cheap" replacement for the Carter. I currently have a Holley 1920 on my '64 and it starts and runs perfect.

I had continual problems with a Holley 1920 on my 1969 Dart, over 20 years. Always idled rough and wanted to die when you left a stop-light, sometimes stalling. Mechanics said "bad valves", intake leak, ... which I paid for several times, plus at least 3 rebuilt carbs from auto parts. After a complete long block engine ran rough, I tried my 4th carb and it ran smooth as silk. Many bad rebuilds out there. I don't like their sealed metering block which can't be rebuilt.

Bill, I just feel like I got lucky with my Holley. I just cannot believe how good it is. It can sit for a few days and fires right up without having to pump it. I was always a big fan of Carters, but this Holley has been the exception to the rule for me. I dread the day it craps out on me.

-
Back