What mini starter are you using ?

-

jimmer

Reaction score
I have not bought a mini starter in years.
I'm getting ready to buy one and the price is all over the place .
What one are you running ?
How much was it ?
Have you ever compared cheaper vs more expensive ones ?
Thanks

Nippondenso makes the mini starter for Chrysler. You can get one at any parts store. Just tell them you have a 94 Dakota with a 318 it should fit. The last one I put in a 360LA engine I had to grind down a small bump on the block that would not let it sit flush but it was no big deal. They are about 75 to 100 dollars.

The ones I have used I got from mancini racing.
I never did anything extra just installed and they worked fine.
This is a new project.
I did a search and they range drastically in price.

I have not bought a mini starter in years.
I'm getting ready to buy one and the price is all over the place .
What one are you running ?
How much was it ?
Have you ever compared cheaper vs more expensive ones ?
Thanks

I pulled mine from a later 90's Ram 1500 Forest Service truck with a 5.2 about 5 years ago for 15 bucks at the U pick it.
Same starter is in the car today and works just as well as it did 5 years ago.
Someone had taken the trans out and left the starter hanging on the cable, so it was about a 5 min job.:D

I pulled mine from a later 90's Ram 1500 Forest Service truck with a 5.2 about 5 years ago for 15 bucks at the U pick it.

Got to love that price. Those starters are the best. Never have problems with them. Gotta say, I never thought of Pull-A-Part but damn I can save a lot of money getting them from there!

Got to love that price. Those starters are the best. Never have problems with them. Gotta say, I never thought of Pull-A-Part but damn I can save a lot of money getting them from there!

As plentiful as they are out there no way in hell was I going to spend anywhere near 100 bucks for one.

Damn, I bought a Powermaster for hundreds (plural)! What was I thinking?.. (however it does crank over my high compression application with ease ~ hot or cold).

Get these for your mini starter. It will make life easy!

20171123_200102.jpg

I took the one off my 1990 Ram 150 and put it in my dart! And I put that fat-assed hunk of iron from 1973 in my truck-it sounds funny in the Ram but who cares!!!!

I took the one off my 1990 Ram 150 and put it in my dart! And I put that fat-assed hunk of iron from 1973 in my truck-it sounds funny in the Ram but who cares!!!!

Yea most people have no idea what the old type Mopar starter sounded like. I remember rebuilding them back in the day.. they sucked to work on. You could always tell a Chrysler starting up back in the 70's. No other car had a starter that sounded the same.

I pulled one from a V6 Dakota. Easy pull stacked up on 2 tire rims. I had the same one on the 451 and it cranked like it was turning a fan. There are 2 sizes, long and short case <1" difference but IIRC one was 1.5Kw and the other was 1.8Kw. Same mounting, just the motor was longer. I bet that motor had timing chain tensioner on it too.

I pulled one from a V6 Dakota. Easy pull stacked up on 2 tire rims. I had the same one on the 451 and it cranked like it was turning a fan. There are 2 sizes, long and short case <1" difference but IIRC one was 1.5Kw and the other was 1.8Kw. Same mounting, just the motor was longer. I bet that motor had timing chain tensioner on it too.

Thank you. I was however, asking about the connection adapter thingy. Sorry that was not clear. Anyone know where to source?

We just bought a new mini starter for my dads Cuda. Looked up a 1991 Dodge Dakota. New Napa one was about 100. Came with the nice terminal hoookup extensions already installed.

Same starter is in the car today and works just as well as it did 5 years ago.
Someone had taken the trans out and left the starter hanging on the cable, so it was about a 5 min job.:D

I did the same thing a few years ago! 15 bucks and it works awesome on my 340. I found mine on a mid-90s full size Dodge Van

As others have mentioned. I buy/use JY mini starters and have never bought a new or rebuilt one. Started plenty of high compression stuff over the years

1/2 off day at pick-a-part and buy a couple.

Only thing that ever seems to go bad on the mini denso mopar starter is the solenoid contactor behind the little cover with 3 screws. Rock auto has a rebuild kit for that. $15 and change

Screenshot_20180401-142539.png

-
Back