What Non mopar mechanic work are you doing

-
Update on the Comet, we got everything swapped over & bolted down. Oil pan & pickup change done, when we pulled the pan it was obvious this engine had very few miles on it. The oil was super clean & the inside of the pan & oil filter were just as clean. Tomorrow, Thursday we are going to drop the engine in & put the transmission in from underneath. More updates later.

I am putting a 77 vega on a 90 toyota 4wd. V6 5spd. Also working on a 61 falcon that needs a carb/vacuum spacer that someone had removed and made a poor adapter from 1/4 plate

So, I work on my family's vehicles as well as some customer work now and then. I used to do more customer work when I was in college because I worked on cars for fellow class mates.

Now I have a boring office job and I've really been missing the feeling of discovery by working on non mopar, modern cars with any set of problems you can think of.

I wish I had time to do a lot of customer work, simply to become a better mechanic.

What customer work or general work are you doing with any brand of car of any year?

I have a 1994 ford ranger that has a fuel cutting out problem while driving.
Also have an 04 kia xg350 with a crank but no start problem.

What do you have going?

We have my Dart, a 72 Dart, 59 Ranchero, 1991 BMW 325i convertible, 2006 BMW R1200gs adventure type bike, 2000 Nissan Frontier quad cab 4 door and a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix SE.
They all run and drive.

I do the work any of them may need, but I absolutely HATE that Pontiac GM piece of garbage.:D

Just got this 65 Pontiac GTO back in driving condition after 17 years of it sitting.
The owner bought it new in 65.
It needed work on about everything fuel and electrical related.
It had shorts and bad bulb sockets, missing radio, shifter miss adjustments on the 4 speed, and the tail panel was missing all its paint.
This is it now ready to drive.

C9137E5D-76EB-4475-A8B0-38995FBE64F6.png

5254FD2A-9416-4AFA-9D84-ECB974D2E52D.png

Last edited:
Rebuilt my corvair engine, sent heads out to the local machine shop to go through them. About 1000 miles later, a few of the valve guides started moving back and forth in the heads....then some bits of the guide end pieces snapped off at the port end and got blown up into my brand-new $750 turbo. :(
20210123_190621.jpg

Rebuilt my corvair engine, sent heads out to the local machine shop to go through them. About 1000 miles later, a few of the valve guides started moving back and forth in the heads....then some bits of the guide end pieces snapped off at the port end and got blown up into my brand-new $750 turbo. :( View attachment 1715701868
Well that blows

tenor-1.gif

Ford ranger,bad clutch slave. Broke a couple bolts. T case is out and one bolt left holding transmission. Should have it done tomorrow.
FF1E6368-8C48-4D4F-A793-674D4F4A68DC.jpeg

This has been a 45 year project. Started with my dad buying car. It was running at the time had a latex paint job but basically a solid car. We took car apart right to frame. It is now basically a new 31 model A ford coupe. Just needs paint. The one thing I am thankful for is that my dad got to drive it around and take mom for ice cream in it before he passed.

FD092ED9-4E08-4530-BEBC-5681B6B1DB76.jpeg

Rebuilt my corvair engine, sent heads out to the local machine shop to go through them. About 1000 miles later, a few of the valve guides started moving back and forth in the heads....then some bits of the guide end pieces snapped off at the port end and got blown up into my brand-new $750 turbo. :( View attachment 1715701868
Those engines air cooled?

My opinion unleaded fuel will have played a large part in this

This has been a 45 year project. Started with my dad buying car. It was running at the time had a latex paint job but basically a solid car. We took car apart right to frame. It is now basically a new 31 model A ford coupe. Just needs paint. The one thing I am thankful for is that my dad got to drive it around and take mom for ice cream in it before he passed.

View attachment 1715701911
Forgot to mention the he payed the ungodly sum of $75.00 for it running

You’d have to ask the old man. Might be kinda tuff unless you use a we gee board or something. One of my boys will get the dart and one will get the model A told them they will have to scrap it out amongst themselves. Like to be there for that conversation.

I almost hate to admit it but my other cars are Fords...up to and including my 86 Fox Body convertible...:) I dunno ,when Mopar went all front wheel drive it killed it for me.Mom had a 1980 Dodge omni that car was crap...:)

I put a outside door handle in the kid's Buick yesterday. Not bad, less than an hour. Probably a 30 min job if I hadn't dropped 2 of the 3 bolts inside the door. (I have a well worn 10mm. socket) LOL They landed on the guard beam and I couldn't find them in the bottom of the door. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I put a outside door handle in the kid's Buick yesterday. Not bad, less than an hour. Probably a 30 min job if I hadn't dropped 2 of the 3 bolts inside the door. (I have a well worn 10mm. socket) LOL They landed on the guard beam and I couldn't find them in the bottom of the door. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
Been there done that. If the magnet don’t work could turn out to be an 8 hour job. Naa just get new bolts.

Been there done that. If the magnet don’t work could turn out to be an 8 hour job. Naa just get new bolts.
It was actually kind of funny, I lost one and unscrewed a second one so I could go find one somewhere in town. Then I dropped the second one. I had been looking in the bottom of the door and didn't realize there was a ledge half way up. There I found both bolts! LOL

It was actually kind of funny, I lost one and unscrewed a second one so I could go find one somewhere in town. Then I dropped the second one. I had been looking in the bottom of the door and didn't realize there was a ledge half way up. There I found both bolts! LOL
Then you cut yourself on the sharp metal when sticking your arm inside the door.
Done that a few times.

Then you cut yourself on the sharp metal when sticking your arm inside the door.
Done that a few times.
Have a friend who was doing some under dash work on a 60 something cuda. Had his arm about up to the elbow under the dash. Started to bring it out and got caught on something. He panicked and before I could calm him down he just ripped his arm out. Off to the hospital we go 38 stitches later. We were laughing at the situation

Have a friend who was doing some under dash work on a 60 something cuda. Had his arm about up to the elbow under the dash. Started to bring it out and got caught on something. He panicked and before I could calm him down he just ripped his arm out. Off to the hospital we go 38 stitches later. We were laughing at the situation
Easily done.

-
Back