What oil filter adapter do I need for a 340 in a 1964 plymouth valiant.

-

Mopar64340

Reaction score
Hello guys

Thanks for all the help you have given me on my build.

Im getting ready to install my motor in about 2 weeks and I would like to know what oil filter adapter I can use for my application. ?

what exhaust? headers or manifolds may dictate the choice.

if you can run a 90, be sure to get the early 90. it has more of an angle to it that helps clear the frame rail.

also, might want to edit your title from fuel to oil

You need one from a 273 that has a true 90 degree adapter. 65'

You need one like the one on the right in the pic. If you use the later version, like the one on the left, the oil filter hits the frame rail. Pic credit to @65barracudaLA !
90 degree adapters - SBM.jpg

what exhaust? headers or manifolds may dictate the choice.

if you can run a 90, be sure to get the early 90. it has more of an angle to it that helps clear the frame rail.

also, might want to edit your title from fuel to oil
Im using the dougs long tube headers

Thank you !
THey come up for sale her quite often You may be able to find on ein the sale forums or now that you know the one you are looking for you can start a wanted ad in the Marketplace forums. Some members have a few setting on the shelf.

Question: are the Direct Connection aftermarket aluminum filter adapters a true 90° like the early iron units or slightly angled like later units ?

@JDMopar - you mentioned using angled adapter hits frame rail on early A cars. You're pics show a large filter (PH8A?). Would interference still exist if I used a shorter filter like PH43 ?

Last edited:
Question: are the Direct Connection aftermarket aluminum filter adapters a true 90° like the early iron units or slightly angled like later units ?

@JDMopar - you mentioned using angled adapter hits frame rail on early A cars. You're pics show a large filter (PH8A?). Would interference still exist if I used a shorter filter like PH43 ?
I keep that Fram PH8A around just to do mock ups. I wouldn’t run it on my car for nothing! LOL. I learned about the less angled adapter from reading a thread on here by @65barracudaLA when he went thru all this when he put a V8 back in his car. When I did my mock up, I tried both adapters with both with a long and short filter. I found that with the later, less angled adapter, that both filters would hit the frame rail. I was able to turn the late adapter to where a shorter PH43 sized filter would miss the frame rail enough to barely get a piece of paper between. To me, that was a no go since I wasn’t running solid mounts and like the big filters. When I got the adapter that I used in place to where I wanted it, and it provided the best clearance, I marked the adapter and the block with a Sharpie and installed it permanently with sealer and a copper washer under the head of the big bolt after I pulled it back out and had it back on the stand.

Edit: The pic above of my motor is with a NAPA Gold (Wix) 51515, which is the same size as a Fram PH8A. The filter in the pic is what was on it when it was on the dyno.

Last edited:
I would also consider pointing the adapter down a bit. Mine is pointing up a bit and it appears to drain the oil filter when parked. With my TTi exhaust it's a bit tricky to get to the bolt and I don't really want to touch it, because it's finally not leaking anymore. I'm currently testing whether the Wix 51806 that has a standpipe helps with the cold start valve train noise that I had.

-
Back