What Oil Filter to use

-

EmersonC

Reaction score
So Im sure this sounds dumb, but I am having trouble findin the right oil filter. According to O'Rielys I need to use the Fram PH8A. But this looks too short and the circumfrance is much larger than the one I have on my car already. Im thinking it looks more like the Fram HP1. They dont look interchangable, but maybe they are?
This is my daily driver so I dont want to take the oil out remove the filter and then hope that I can find the new filter around town.

BTW
1966 dodge dart 273. I dont think it was origionally a 273 (per VIN #) so the engine could be a different year, but that shouldnt matter right???

Fram sucks.
Grab a Wix filter. There are 2 sizes. One tall one short.
You should have no problem looking up the part number.

Really? I always thought Fram was a good one. Well I'll try the one you all recommend. Thanks

Xs3, Fram SUCKS....

FRAMTGParts.jpg

FRAMEGParts.jpg

WIXParts.jpg

More filters...... http://www.abodyjoe.com/Misccars/carinfo/oilfilters/oilfilters.htm

At the local Checker, they cut open all the various oil filters to see the differences. I'm sure there are photos online. Fram really does look like crap.

As above, do not use Fram, their construction is poor - paper and carboard inside and they have been known to breakdown internally, and also to burst.

Im glad I posted this. Sounds like we are all in consensus here. No fram filters.

The WIX 51515, is that the taller filter. Kinda hard to tell

WIX or NAPA gold same filter. I use a WIX race filter. The only reason it is remote mounted is because it is not accessible in the stock location with 2 inch tube headers .

I use the wix 51515 on my 360 also. Fram was good back in the 60s but you didnt have the competition back then like you do now.

Here are some different length filters that fit our Mopars

Oil Filters
WIX Baldwin Length
51515 B2 5-13/32
51068 B233 4-3/8
51085 B34 3-7/8
51335 B7221 2-9/16

You all can call me odd but I only use Mopar filters on Mopar engines. I'm not exactly sure of the part# but I do believe it is a M1-990.

I must be dodging bullets like a ninja because I have been using the Fram HP1 for a lot a years...no problems.:D

-
Back