What on earth could be causing this?

-
My 305 would start and idle decent, then when the oil got warm and started thinning the old lifters just couldn't deal with not hardly any lift from the worn out cam, new cam and lifters solved my problem, sounds like billy has more work to do then just a cam swap to get you that 650 hp...

Here's a fuel filter tip, never use the chrome or metal ones, use the clear plastic..

I have a clear glass filter. Thanks

Bad and double bad. Plastic is less durable.

Glass can break. Fuel all over the place on a hot engine waiting for a spark.

Metal one are best period and all filters should be change often even if they do not need it.
Fuel filter, once a year in the beginning of the season
air filter at least twice a year. OIil filter very often, close to crazy.
Trans filter, every 10,000 - 15,000
PCV once a year.

Clean clean clean clean...say it 1 milllllllllion times!!!!!!!

What about the fuel pump? Pressure gauge? Diaphram could be wearing out.

Metal one are best period and all filters should be change often even if they do not need it.
PCV once a year.

I've been using FRAM-G12 clear plastic fuel fiters for the past 25 years.. Not one issue ever.... lay it on a header and you might have a few issues...

Fram,....now that's a brand to write home about.....

Wix, and nothing else..

PCV once a year.

I've been using FRAM-G12 clear plastic fuel fiters for the past 25 years.. Not one issue ever.... lay it on a header and you might have a few issues...

What's missing in this burned up slant six picture?

untitled.jpg

What's missing in this burned up slant six picture?

Who's to say the rubber fuel line didn't leak and start the fire?? I've had worse face burns then that leaning over a holley carb backfiring and catching on fire... It's all common sence and how you use a part... Good stuff, bad stuff, just how you use it...

a year or so ago, i had problems with my car sputtering and not wanting to run. wasn't a fuel issue though, the coil was heating up real bad. and alternator ended up giving out. after it died i would let it set for awhile, and once the coil would cool off enough it would run a for a little while, until sputtering again and dying. after taking me 4 hours to get home from work, that usually takes 1 hour.. i went through it all, the first thing i did was change out coil, and got a gm one wire. switched to electronic ignition as well since then, and it hasn't had that same problem since. I ran out of gas the other day, it was a good feeling.. cause i knew all i had to do was put gas in my car and not spend a weekend under the hood.

Put an inline gauge between the pump and the carb and see what pressure it says. Is the dist. loose? I mean go over fuel system entirely, then go over the spark system.

If they put crap parts on it, they ain't "solvein" the ptoblem.

Even the worst brand new fuel filter would have solved the problem, "if the old filter was his problem to begin with".. It could be anything, eletronic box, the coil like the one guy said... just because you like a certain brand you don't have to shove your preferance down everyone elses throat...

Even the worst brand new fuel filter would have solved the problem, "if the old filter was his problem to begin with".. It could be anything, eletronic box, the coil like the one guy said... just because you like a certain brand you don't have to shove your preferance down everyone elses throat...

And I shoved my "preferance" for what brand, down whose throat?

Ok ok ok ok, relax everybody, lets just drop it all and focus on the problem. The OE posters problem.

And I shoved my "preferance" for what brand, down whose throat?

I just said what works for me, I've always had rust problems out of the steel ones (if you let them sit for any period of time), I've never had problems with the clear plastic ones, you can see if their trashed up, I change my inline filters 2 or 3 times a year and I always change the rubber fuel line when I change filters...

Just an update I removed the current filter. Its one of those HELP/motormite line clear glass filters. The ones that have the metal fittings instead of the plastic ones. I have been using these for about three years now. Not too many people sell them though. Never an issue.

Anyway Looked clean inside and I could blow through it so I put it back on. I did notice my carb studs were loose. All of them. Not finger tight but with a wrench I turned them several times. I plan on driving it today. Is it possible that when I was flying down the on-ramp just enough air was making its way between the carb and intake? I wouldn't imagine it would take much. The fuel line appeared to be good.

As far as metal filters is there a good brand someone reccomends. Mr. Gasket seems to be all I see and I don't like their products too much. Does wix make them in metal 5/16?

Thanks everyone

Wix #33032 for 5/16, 33033 for 3/8. I still think that either fuel delivery or spark is the culprit and not a vacuum leak.

Just an update I removed the current filter. Its one of those HELP/motormite line clear glass filters. The ones that have the metal fittings instead of the plastic ones. I have been using these for about three years now. Not too many people sell them though. Never an issue.

Anyway Looked clean inside and I could blow through it so I put it back on. I did notice my carb studs were loose. All of them. Not finger tight but with a wrench I turned them several times. I plan on driving it today. Is it possible that when I was flying down the on-ramp just enough air was making its way between the carb and intake? I wouldn't imagine it would take much. The fuel line appeared to be good.

As far as metal filters is there a good brand someone reccomends. Mr. Gasket seems to be all I see and I don't like their products too much. Does wix make them in metal 5/16?

Thanks everyone
Vacuum leak! Will cause engine to run lean creating heat and causing loss of power. Usually good to start with the simple basic stuff before you start replacing stuff. Hope you found the problem!!!

sounds like ever one is helped u get most of the idels i could have come up with but i let me 64 4 door set for two years i put some new gas in it and filter and dumped a can of seafoam in it case it was doing almost the same thing urs was doing but at stop lights and it quit

-
Back