What Products are Needed in the A-body world?

-
Good idea in listing what I can do. Tube bending in nearly every size up to 1.75", mig and tig welding of all materials, shearing and forming up to 5' wide. Laser cutting up to .375" thick on steel, CNC machining(18x40"). Laser cutting and machining are harder for me to get my hands on as they are a friends, but if we make a run of something, I Can definitely get it done.

An affordable '71/2 340 Duster grille. People selling these are always looking for a small retirement fund for these...what the f....

a nice afordable wheelie bar set up for 8 3/4 and dana 60 rears in case you do a big wheelie.

As mentioned before;
1) Header alternatives especially for Early As. Maybe an opportunity to pick up where the Spitfire headers left off.
2) Alternative to the 8 3/4 rearends. The Ford Explorer 8.8 conversion is popular. Perhaps a bolt in ready 8.8 would be marketable; cut to Abody length with spring pads welded in stock location or customizable bases on customer needs.

Good idea in listing what I can do. Tube bending in nearly every size up to 1.75", mig and tig welding of all materials, shearing and forming up to 5' wide. Laser cutting up to .375" thick on steel, CNC machining(18x40"). Laser cutting and machining are harder for me to get my hands on as they are a friends, but if we make a run of something, I Can definitely get it done.

Great! How much shear & brake do you have - .250 thick mild steel?

B.

Great! How much shear & brake do you have - .250 thick mild steel?
B.

Shear is rated for 1/4" but dont like to push it if I can help it. Laser will burn it out for me if I need it. 5 feet of brake, 55 tons.

I can build a set of wheelie bars now if anyone is interested...Ive done a bunch already. Heres the last pair I did for an AZ resident.
268385_10150255948412381_804302380_7278020_7544474_n.jpg

285480_10150257540267381_804302380_7292292_2456767_n.jpg

As someone doing the 5.7L / 6.1L Hemi into an A-Body, I'd like to see a power steering box that is the same size or smaller than the factory non-power box so I could have power steering without the expense of going to Rack and Pinion.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Bingo !!!!!! We have a winner !!!!!!!

Thanks,but he folks that sell us the stuff dont agree.Something about bean counters feeling they cant sell as many mopar parts and need to charge more. I call b.s.

As someone doing the 5.7L / 6.1L Hemi into an A-Body, I'd like to see a power steering box that is the same size or smaller than the factory non-power box so I could have power steering without the expense of going to Rack and Pinion.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Now THIS is a spectacular idea! A lightweight and small steering box that allows for a bit more header room and doesnt break the bank. Who the hell has 4k for an rms system anyways?

Hey guys,
I may have a lead on a '71 Valiant. If I end up buying this car, and used it for mock up of parts, what other cars would those parts fit? I am mainly concerned with suspension type stuff(front suspension, subframe connectors, etc).
Would it be '70-76 A-bodies, or would the parts fit the late 60's A-bodies also?
Thanks in advance!

Though it's not suspension related, there was a proposal floating around for manufacturing A Body rear window louvers that seemed to be VERY well received ... but the original poster hasn't followed up that I can recall.

Curley, I have to thank you for being one of few who is trying for 'the greater good' and thinking outside the box. Keep it up! :-D I clicked on your Thanks box.

Aluminum seat brackets. I mentioned those on the Moparts thread. When I do my Dart I want to lighten everything I can, but don't want it to look 'exotic'. Anything light for the chassis is good. Affordable tubular k-frame, upper and lower C.A.'s, strut rods, tranny crossmember, and if they would hold up, leaf spring hangers... Bumper brackets, front and rear.
Just off the top of my head...

I would like to participate in the development of a K frame replacement system for the 2nd gen fish that uses torsion bars. Don't mind being the ginnea pig. Will be doing a full paint on my car and could be the first customer.

I would also like to incorporate disk brakes in the effort and sway bar. Something that is more affordable than brans "A". A drop in system for the A body with a hot SB including 8 qt oil pan that is street/strip driven. Solid engine mounts on mine please.

I have a 67 FB fish body I can donate to the effort. Schedule is to start soon and be racing again next summer if the body guy cooperates. PM me if interested.

be perpared to deal with licence issues, from chrysler

Very easy: make sure not to put a Pentastar or any other Chrysler trademarks on your part and then you're under no licence obligation. Layson's and the others who got busted were misappropriating Chrysler trademarks. Remember, over the years there've been hundreds of brands of repair parts for Chrysler-built cars. Everything from distributor caps to taillight lenses. All perfectly legal, because they did not misappropriate Chrysler's trademarks.

I am mainly concerned with suspension type stuff(front suspension, subframe connectors, etc).

Do your research; there are lots of options for subframe connectors already as well as front suspension upgrades. Some of the parts on that '71 would be '62-'72. Others such as connectors would be '67-'76 with 108" wheelbase (that is, '67-'73 Valiant and '70-'76 Duster/Demon/Dart Sport). Interchange varies according to the specific part in question.

Do your research; there are lots of options for subframe connectors already as well as front suspension upgrades. Some of the parts on that '71 would be '62-'72. Others such as connectors would be '67-'76 with 108" wheelbase (that is, '67-'73 Valiant and '70-'76 Duster/Demon/Dart Sport). Interchange varies according to the specific part in question.

Dang it, Dan beat me to it.

2nd gen Barracuda trunk extensions

X2

Correct outer Rocker Panels. I have a set of replacement rocker panels for my 69 cuda and they have no radius (the large outer surface is flat) and the curvature in the bends are way off as well. Everything else I have looked at seems to be the same.:salut:

What about a transmission tunnel to use with newer overdrive transmissions or newer 6 spd. manuals.
C

Thanks for the ideas and info guys. Guy doesnt want to budge on the Valiant...gonna have to keep looking. I would love to help in the sheetmetal department, but dont have the money or room for the big machines to make those parts. I hate that it seems Ive seen a bunch of A-bodies for sale until now when I want one...isnt that how it works? LOL

Thanks again.

If you are just looking for a roller then it shouldn't be a problem locating something cheap. Like Dan stated earlier the platforms of ran for quite a while, so the only major differences will be 108" wheel base on the duster, demon and dart sport to 111" for the darts, scamps and valiants. If my memory serves me right.

The biggest things guys on here are looking for are economical headers for early A's and the tubular K member and maybe another triangulated 4 link that is a little cheaper.

custom dash cluster, center console inserts, cool looking hood an trunk hinges, firewall delete plate kit, rear sway bar for relocated springs...... just a thought. I was planing to make these myself, but if you beat me to the punch ill spend the money and save my time.

Kyle, first welcome to FABO from one YB member to another. Thought about shooting you a pm today. I have an issue that might be up your alley. I'm installing a modern Hemi, adding twin turbos and have to fab just about every part. There is not enough room to keep the stock k member, steering box, or suspension and have room for 1.75 in primary's feeding 3 in collectors. And having 5 inch exhaust post turbo. I have been looking into cutting everything off at the firewall, and starting over. But then I got looking at heidt's front ends and like the idea of keeping thestock framerails. But having a kit for an a body to convert to a mustang 2 front end would be sweet.

Btw if you need a car we might be able to work something out. I know a guy with a ton of a body stuff. He probably has any body you could want. And they are for sale for reasonable prices.

-
Back