What safe protectant to use on dash pads....

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Picked up a nice original 68 B-Body dash pad at the local salvage yard, I cleaned it up but was wondering...what is a safe coating to put on after cleaning to protect it and not harm it? I’ve seen armor all ruin stuff so not interested in that LOL....thanks!

Some pictures, before and after cleaning....it has dried out and not shiny anymore, just want to use something good and safe on it

F0DD6FF5-0DF8-4F46-ACEE-1F63E81FF388.jpeg

F0FCFEFF-13BD-4293-8A22-0C94941BEA62.jpeg

9EE57B58-1CE1-44F9-AE58-5B6E4F515E0B.jpeg

F0361EDF-80C5-44BF-A1B7-E1851C4B0041.jpeg

Subscribed. Let me message my buddy that does custom car upholstery and see what he likes.

It doesn’t matter in your car, it’ll be full of finger nails the way you drive……ha ha

Picked up a nice original 68 B-Body dash pad at the local salvage yard, I cleaned it up but was wondering...what is a safe coating to put on after cleaning to protect it and not harm it? I’ve seen armor all ruin stuff so not interested in that LOL....thanks!

Some pictures, before and after cleaning....it has dried out and not shiny anymore, just want to use something good and safe on it

View attachment 1715959492

View attachment 1715959493

View attachment 1715959494

View attachment 1715959497
Subscribed. Let me message my buddy that does custom car upholstery and see what he likes.

2 votes for Adams products!

Chemical Guys VRP, vinyl, rubber, plastic. Works great and is the best I've found for tires, leaves a nice dull sheen, not a greasy shine and dirt just rinses right off.
The best all purpose protector I've tried.

Last edited:
any other good parts on that car?

On vinyl I like to spray vinyl dye, which actually adds a thin new layer that melts into the original vinyl.

View attachment 1715959492

View attachment 1715959493

View attachment 1715959494

View attachment 1715959497
Great work Keith!

The 303 protectant is my prefered but if you need a decent, find-at-any-store, protectant then I suggest Meguiar's Natural Shine. It doesn't stay slimy and does work pretty well.

Makes me wonder what sadle soap would do, I wouldn't use it on that :steering: but it soften up old dried leather :D

I have several I stored years ago. I coated them with vaseline and rubbed it in for storage. They are all soft and in very good condition. Vinyl is petroleum based so is vaseline.

Adams's VRT here. I used baby oil on some old seats, softened up nice.

A heated and or cooled garage :lol:
In the attic of a heated garage for years and now in the bedroom of the house. I sold some to members they can confirm how soft they were. Like the day they were made. I had one that was cracked in the front corners as usual. They split there and pull apart. The split went back together and was not noticable.
I installed one in this car. These interior parts seats and panels were all rubbed down with Vaseline years ago and they are all soft without a crack. I have 6 seats left and a bunch of panels I saved for years for 71 Demons and Dusters

100_0125.JPG

100_0126.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back