What scam is this?

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I have listed one of my cars on craigslist about a month ago. I priced it extremely high because i dont really want to sell it but it gets the wife off my back as she thinks i have too many cars. Anyway I get about 3 texts a week that will say, "is your car still for sale? if so please call me."
If someone can text why do they not call? Its always a different number so Im guessing its some type of scam. I always reply back to the text with this, "if you can text you should surely be able to dial the number and call yourself"
Never another response.
So now I ask, is this some kind of attempt towards a scam?
Thanks Rod

I have listed one of my cars on craigslist about a month ago. I priced it extremely high because i dont really want to sell it but it gets the wife off my back as she thinks i have too many cars. Anyway I get about 3 texts a week that will say, "is your car still for sale? if so please call me."
If someone can text why do they not call? Its always a different number so Im guessing its some type of scam. I always reply back to the text with this, "if you can text you should surely be able to dial the number and call yourself"
Never another response.
So now I ask, is this some kind of attempt towards a scam?
Thanks Rod

Yes sir! What they’re trying to do is get your number so the can clone it to call other people! You know...the calls you get from someone who you migh know in the area...only to answer and it be someone trying to sell you an extended warranty on a car or to let you know that you can get out of your financial student loan debt! That’s why I NEVER put my phone number on CL add...emails only!

Never reply to an unknown and unsolicited text. It identifies you as an active number.

.only to answer and it be someone trying to sell you an extended warranty on a car or to let you know that you can get out of your financial student loan debt!

Now that make sense as I continue to get calls about student loans that I hang up on right away. I answer my phone all the time no matter what. Maybe its time I stop that practice. Also I guess I shouldnt reply back to those inquires of is your car still for sale!
And I thought i was being the smart *** by replying back!
Thanks for all the reply's. Hope others learns from this question!
Rod

Another little known trick when you get an unknown call is to answer it...but don’t speak. The robo call will timeout after a few seconds and hang up. Your number then gets listed as inactive in their data base and the calls stop. It also gets shared between robo systems as being inactive.

If it gets your voice mail or if you speak, it remains listed as an active number...even if you hang up on it.

My best friend gets calls from time to time regarding his "time share". He does not have a time share, and always tells the caller that. Some months later, the same type of call begins all over again.

I have had two scams on Craigslist carried to the point of sending me checks (bad).
A local police captain told me not to use Craigslist. Scammers print up bank checks and money orders.

Another little known trick when you get an unknown call is to answer it...but don’t speak. The robo call will timeout after a few seconds and hang up. Your number then gets listed as inactive in their data base and the calls stop. It also gets shared between robo systems as being inactive.

If it gets your voice mail or if you speak, it remains listed as an active number...even if you hang up on it.

Sometimes it's fun to torture them. I had an awning salesman call me. I told him I was very interested. He asked how many windows I had. I said, none, I live in an earth home but I want you to come out and show me your materials. He stuttered and tried everything to get out of it.

I do email only and if an inquiry is as generic as "item still for sale?", then it's pretty obvious it's a scam.

Ask me a human, reasonably intelligent question, and I'll respond.

I also don't get the "I don't have time to answer questions" mentality.

That's how you make a sale!

Converse using the method that accommodates safety and the time convenient to both parties- email, and answer questions.

Simple recipe for success.

I have had two scams on Craigslist carried to the point of sending me checks (bad).
A local police captain told me not to use Craigslist. Scammers print up bank checks and money orders.

I used to collect those fake checks as trophy of wasting their time, but stopped when I learned they were paying to ship them with fake checks, too.

I bought 60 feet of dock off craigslist yesterday
It had been listed for 16 hours when I made the first call and 12 hours after that it was on my trailer

That was a good deal

We bought an engine last weekend. The guy didnt return my call after an hour so I sent a text he returned right away and we were loading it in the truck an hour later.

I suspect that a scammer is trying to set me up on one of my ads right now... I'm toying with him to see how far I can push him...

Here is his first contact:

Hello. I saw your ad on CL for your vehicle for sale and I wanted to speak with you.

Not all of my mail has been making it through on here. I think something is messed up. Lets make sure we can get in touch!

Please message me direct at my personal email -

BenDent39(at)Gail.com

Thanks! - Ben

Last edited:
So I email him and get this response:

Hello, I was reaching out to you about your vehicle for sale. Do you have a current vehicle history report for it? If not, I suggest getting one at:
SafeVinCheck.com
When I was selling my vehicle I got one from there to show people that were interested. It was only $19 which is half the cost of Carfax($40 or more). It will show if there are any issues with it. The peace of mind it gives for such a large sale is a bonus too.
It will verify that it has not been in any bad accidents, that it has a clean title and that it has not been stolen. There are so many scams out there. People are more likely to look at it with a report provided.
Talk to you soon. Thanks!

Along these same lines. Is there a way to stop these bogus phone calls on my cell. I have about 500-600 blocked calls as of now. I get on average 2-3 a day.

I got my notch from Craiglist. It was a few hours away. He claimed there were like 50 people interested. I agreed to Western Union him the cash. Western Union took the cash, then upon the seller attempting to retrieve it, would not release the funds. I told them it was my cousin, they didn’t care. Apparently, you can’t send money from NY to PA via WU anymore. I ended up having to bank transfer the cash for the car, sight unseen into this guys account. He kepts telling me to buzz off, that he never heard of WU doing that, yadda yadda, and it was suspicious I wasn’t asking any questions about the car, saying he was going to sell it to someone else. I begged him not to. Then, after I transferred the cash to his account, people at work started telling me I got scammed, but low and behold, I trailered home a Barracuda two days later

I had a home security system company banging my phone. So I told them to come on out, and demonstrate their system. He drove 80 miles to get here. When he arrived, I asked him how he liked to have his time wasted, and to leave. Haven't been bothered by that company since.

I had a home security system company banging my phone. So I told them to come on out, and demonstrate their system. He drove 80 miles to get here. When he arrived, I asked him how he liked to have his time wasted, and to leave. Haven't been bothered by that company since.

LMAO!

That's ingenious! Something I really need to try.

Along these same lines. Is there a way to stop these bogus phone calls on my cell. I have about 500-600 blocked calls as of now. I get on average 2-3 a day.

I use an app on my phone called Mr. Number. They keep adding to their list when a user flags a call and when I receive a "suspected scam" call comes in the screen turns red and it states "suspected scam" on the screen. I just wonder if they sell the phone numbers of people who sign up.:BangHead:

something tells me you have a pretty decent home security system allready
What I'd really like to do is find out where the jehovah witness' live at. I'd like to go banging on their door when their asleep.
It got so bad here, I had to have a group trespassed by the sheriff.

-
Back