What steering wheel are you using?

-
Like the title says. Id like to see some steering wheels and what you like about them.
What are you replacing? Manual or power? I replaced the original on my 66 Dart with a 3 spoke simulated woodgrain. It's easier to steer with manual steering. I really like the Tuff Wheels but on Power steering only for me.

100_4680 (1).JPG

Last edited:
That's the wheel I have and like too, except mine has the Plymouth logo in the middle of he horn button.

The big wheel makes a big difference on a manual steering car. After driving my ‘65 Dart GT convertible I am amazed I could do some of the things I did with my ‘65 GoGo coupe when I was in high school. Adrenaline surely helped, but I suspect my 145lb self from 1966-67 was a little stronger than my 195lb self now. The wood rim GT wheel is still my favorite all the ’65-66 Mopar A bodies. It looks good and works well.

Right now in my Dart I'm running a Flaming River manual steering box so I using a 72-4 E body sport wheel which I like. I might go to power in which I'll change to a Tuff wheel.

20230122_124546.jpg

I put a repro tuff wheel on my dart sport. The stock wheel was just too sensitive but the smaller tuff wheel is just right. On my swinger I am also running a 72+ E body wheel. They are nice wheels and are easy to come by. For my 71 cuda im building I have a repro rimblow wheel. Beautiful piece but damn they are expensive.

What are you replacing? Manual or power? I replaced the original on my 66 Dartt with a 3 spoke simulated woodgrain. It's easier to steer with manual steering. I really like the Tuff Wheels but on Power steering only for me.

View attachment 1716161021

I have the same on my Aussie Valiant, I am a huge fan :steering:

I also have a Grant Tuff Wheel replica on my daily 1986 Nissan WD21 pathfinder, which also has a nice feel.

I am also running an E-body sport steering wheel on a tuff wheel hub in my 72 Duster. I had the tuff wheel in there first, but with 16:1 manual steering that extra diameter on the E body steer wheel is nice. Another bonus is a lot better view of the gauges than tuff wheel especially in a turn, which is most the time lol.

I had a woodgrain version of this one, ut on the hot humid days it would be too slippery with manual steering and sweaty hands. This one doesn't look as good, but has more grip, and is 1" larger to help with low speed turning.

20230612_210339.jpg

My 65 Barracuda has its original plastic "wood grain" sport steering wheel. I put a smaller diameter real wood steering wheel on it for a while because I had to stretch to see completely over the original. But I have the seats adjusted higher now, so the stock wheel works just fine. It has been driven some 300,000 miles, so the "wood grain" is completely worn off. No cracks at all, though. At one show a few years back, a judge asked my why I had a brown steering wheel in a black interior. And it was a Mopar show, too.

1698979363887.png

I have the same wheel in my 63 Valiant convertible. Not available in 63, so not stock or original, but my original two spoke wheel was badly cracked. This one has fewer miles on it than the one in my 65 Barracuda, and still has some wood grain. I put it in the Valiant because it looks good.

1698979540725.png

I have a metal flake red Moon steering wheel in my 64 Polara convertible. It is 15 inches in diameter. It's a near duplicate of the one I bought with my allowance money back in the early sixties and put in my Dad's 62 Polara 500 convertible. So - homage to that car. As are the radio knobs.

1698979682579.png

I also have a metal flake blue Moon steering wheel in my 67 Barracuda. Like the Valiant, the original steering wheel was badly cracked. Plus I like the sixties look of the Moon steering wheels.

1698979819130.png

I have another plastic wood grain steering wheel in my 67 Charger. It's actually a 66 wheel. A similar 67 wheel was recalled. My original wheel was the same as the one in my 67 Barracuda except for having a full horn ring. Like the Barracuda's wheel, it was badly cracked. So - this one. You'll have to take my word for it, because I don't have a picture of it on my computer.

The steering wheel in my 49 Dodge Wayfarer is the original wheel with a Coronet horn ring (Wayfarers just had a horn button).

1698980165920.png

My 56 Plymouth Belvedere also has its original steering wheel. The horn ring is correct, but is NOS, because, as was common in 56 Plymouths, the poorly supported upper half of the original ring was broken off. I try to remember not to use the upper half to blow the horn.

1698980313464.png

And finally, my 59 Dodge Coronet also has its original steering wheel. The padding on the horn ring was optional.

1698980517849.png

Last edited:
Mooneyes. When only the best will do.
VIXEN STEERING WHEEL.JPG

-
Back