what the hell is a sure grip

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
just got back from my local dodge dealer to pick up a bottle of sure grip additive and the parts never herd of a sure grip in his life and hes been the head parts guy for 7 years WTF.

I'm surprised he didn't ask for year model and serial number. Most cant do diddley squat without that. Some won't even talk to you without it

what are you doing at the dodge dealership looking for these?

SURE%20GRIP.jpg

wait... what ? The parts guy doesnt know what sure grip fluid is ? He should....they should sell it on lots of Dodge products now. He may have known it as "limited slip differential fluid" but man... he should know that... not a very good parts guy if not !

-RPM

When was the last time Mopar sold something with what was called a sure grip?

wait... what ? The parts guy doesnt know what sure grip fluid is ? He should....they should sell it on lots of Dodge products now. He may have known it as "limited slip differential fluid" but man... he should know that... not a very good parts guy if not !

-RPM
I think he quoted posi additive

Most younger parts guys have no idea about the older cars. Sure grip? What? What is a carburetor? Oh, the antique fuel injector! I ordered a speedo cable a couple years ago from my Dodge dealer. He looked up a 73 Dart Sport, found the part, they had it available and I bought it. A few months later I called for a transmission dipstick. The younger guy told me they can't look up cars that old. He told me the vin was missing numbers. I told him the other guy had no problem finding it and he got mad and blew me off. Not all cars are new, brother. Better learn to find ALL the parts for ALL the cars.

I tried to get valve cover gaskets for my 1979 360 at the local Chrysler dealer...I said "any 318, 340, 360"...he said his computer didn't go back far enough...I said "any 318, 340, 360"...he found another book to look in. He said "it still doesn't go back far enough".
I left.

Its true though... most dealers wont go back that far as the inventory control doesnt allow for our older stuff. I am pretty sure in our million dollar inventory you wont find one item for anything older then say maybe 1995. Money management and items that actually turn are what the parts managers should be looking at. Now a good parts counter guy should automatically pull out the Mopar performance catalog and happily look up what you need. But as for the fluid the orignal poster was talking of.. that should be basic info for a parts counter guy of 7 years.

-RPM

Sure grip is what I use on my dentures! ;-) I'll send you a tube if you need it.

You should have really freaked him out by asking for turn signal fluid too!:banghead:

just read the bottle and it says for sure grip and limited slip .

I went to the dealership to pick up a set of fly wheel bolts for a 318. They said they didnt have anything that old and couldnt even look it up. I would think they were the same up through Magnum motors. If not at least till 93.

Its true though... most dealers wont go back that far as the inventory control doesnt allow for our older stuff. I am pretty sure in our million dollar inventory you wont find one item for anything older then say maybe 1995. Money management and items that actually turn are what the parts managers should be looking at. Now a good parts counter guy should automatically pull out the Mopar performance catalog and happily look up what you need. But as for the fluid the orignal poster was talking of.. that should be basic info for a parts counter guy of 7 years.

-RPM

my dodge dealer has got parts clear back to 1972 without problems, actually I got a new oil pan last year for the 1966 dart, came with pickup tube for oil pump, the pan and dipstick and tube all for $140!

Not just Mopars. Some time back bought a 98 Ranger, seller told me the alarm was intermittent and not to use it.

I went to the Ferd dealer to find out how much to do a full on readout of the computer to look for errors

Service manager informed me "that is not a Ford alarm."

I informed him I've read the service manual and that it IS a Ford alarm.

Told me "he'd been service manager for XX years and bla bla bla"

Long story short, he ended up in the cab, alarm engaged, looking at the indicator FACTORY INSTALLED in the cluster "I'll be darned, it's a Ford alarm!!!"

Its true though... most dealers wont go back that far as the inventory control doesnt allow for our older stuff. I am pretty sure in our million dollar inventory you wont find one item for anything older then say maybe 1995. Money management and items that actually turn are what the parts managers should be looking at. Now a good parts counter guy should automatically pull out the Mopar performance catalog and happily look up what you need.
actually, a good parts counter guy (especially at a Chrysler dealership) should be able to get you a set of SBM valve cover gaskets without opening a book...

One of my brothers was a Nisson tech for just short of twenty years. Decided he was done with it and got a job at O'Reileys. Guy walks in and says I need a gasket for a Ford nine inch. He looks him dead in the eye and said, Nine inch what?

Sure Grip

Attachments

• Hot-climbing-girl.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 597
I remember going to a Mopar Dealer Parts Department to get the special
Sure-Grip Rear-End Gear Lubricant.

The Parts Guy asked me if a I wanted Sperm Whale Oil as an additive.

The first time I had ever heard about that........

-
Back