what the hell is a sure grip

-
Shoulda asked him about some FIAT parts for a 500 "Pop Edition." Now you know why I pretty much avoid the "Chrysler Group, LLC-division of FIAT" thing.

Typical questions from a AutoZone parts counter when needing a universal joint: "Got A/C"? "Did that come with a wiper delay"? "And does that have disc brakes on the front???"-----

I remember going to a Mopar Dealer Parts Department to get the special
Sure-Grip Rear-End Gear Lubricant.

The Parts Guy asked me if a I wanted Sperm Whale Oil as an additive.

The first time I had ever heard about that........

The original SG additive was fish oil based.

Just because somebody's been doing a job for X amount of years, doesn't exactly mean they've been doing it RIGHT. :-D

just got back from my local dodge dealer to pick up a bottle of sure grip additive and the parts never herd of a sure grip in his life and hes been the head parts guy for 7 years WTF.

You really should of gotten his goat by asking for a bottle of Whale Oil

Should have come seen me,
4318060AB
I know exactly what you wanted. You ask me for posi fluid on a Mopar and I'll tell you you're in the wrong place.
and it's whale sperm, not sperm whale oil. they used to actually use whale sperm as an lubricant. smelled like hell and you didn't want to get any on you.
Hasn't been used since we started hugging trees and saving whales.
But that stuff worked great!

Attachments

• 4318060AB.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 240
Should have come seen me,
4318060AB
I know exactly what you wanted. You ask me for posi fluid on a Mopar and I'll tell you you're in the wrong place.
Hasn't been used since we started hugging trees and saving whales.
But that stuff worked great!

Did they use sure grip or limited slip oil when they started hugging trees?

Sorry my friend, you have this backwards.

That additive used oil from sperm whales, therefore, "sperm whale oil"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_oil
Nooooooooo!
It's whale sperm! see a sperm whale ejaculates over 400 gallons of sperm during mating, only about 40 gallons actually make it into the female whale.
this is why the sea is so salty. :poke:

:happy1:

Hanging-on-for-dear-life-276.jpg

I remember going to a Mopar Dealer Parts Department to get the special
Sure-Grip Rear-End Gear Lubricant.

The Parts Guy asked me if a I wanted Sperm Whale Oil as an additive.

The first time I had ever heard about that........

Dad bought a new power wagon in 1978.
He changed the fluids at 10,000 miles and put Sperm oil additive in it from Chrysler and synthetic oil in everything else.
He still has that old POS truck, and the rear end is still quiet after 240,000 hard miles.
The rear end has never been apart except for brakes about every 80,000 miles.
360 Short block is all original except for timing chain which went a 85,000.
New clutch at 213,000.
The damn old truck will not die, it still runs great, and it is smooth going down the road........Kinda floats like a boat.
Dad left me the truck in his WILL because the POS will still be running down the road when he is gone.

The rear end runs quiter than my one owner 78 power wagon I picked up last year with only 80,000 and a open rear.

'Little Fish' talking to his Buddy, 'Johnny' the Sperm Whale.

Hey 'Johnny', the Mopar Service Manager is here with another 400 Gallon Container.

'Little Fish', you better get me that BIG 'UNS Magazine again.

29ee307d-2cf3-3f67-b250-e8ba6274ab32

I was at a local glass shop on Friday and the old seasoned gray-bearded owner sees my Dart out in the parking lot and just for fun tells me the part number I'd find in the lower passenger side corner of the glass. Of course I had to go check and of course he was 100% correct. We told him about the '74 Satellite my son is building and he told us the number we'd find on that one as well. I'm not going to knock the young guys at all but I sure love those old timers who know their parts, can't beat them!

-
Back