What to do? Help me pick...

-

67DARTGTCONV

Reaction score
Well. I am caught in that new engine dilemma.

Help me pick and list your reasons.

This fall, do I install a crate 408 or do I go the 5.7 HEMI route. It’s going into a 67 Dart.

All street and maybe occasional strip

?????????

no replacment for displacement, go big or go home! stuff that 408 in it and listen to all that torque shred those tires. just keep in mind you might want to go a little new tec while you at it like roller cam, efi, or 5spd. behind it.

Tuff call. I think the 408 is my style. But that new HEMI and back it up with a modern tranny. WHEWW! Hard to beat that combo. And if you are beat, theres nothing a little cam, head porting and a blower won't solve!

I remember some mag did that with headers and pounded out over 700 ponys.
Sceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are going to keep an original looking 1967 Dart then go with the 408 or 415. If you do the modern look for your Dart , like 18" wheels or lowering it, custom interiors. I think the new Hemi's can look cool in them. Jysnflem

DSCN4387.jpg

how much do you want to drive it?

If I were starting over and didn't have all the new stuff from the build I would go with the 5.7, tube K member, R&P steering, coil overs and OD trans. The car could be used as a daily driver if you wanted and it would probably get in the low to mid 20 MPG and at $4 a gallon that looks good to me

I was getting 14 mpg with my .040 over 340. Hope to have it back running this week and get the 3.73 gears installed, then will probably be back to 10 mpg, good thing it isn't my daily driver.

both are cool but fi is realy neat when you turn the key and it starts despite being cold, high altt...........

It seems the 408 is the choice of weapon. I drive the car constantly on the street. It is a ragtop that will keep the original look to it.
Anyone have problems with the Mopar 408 crate?

Need some pictures of the car

For a driver the 5.7 will give you less trouble and better mileage

If I were buying a crate I would check out Blueprint Engines

they have a 408 stroker for $3,600 + shipping

pictures of my 67 Dart Convertible

BAFTDart.JPG

low112.jpg

lowrseat.JPG

you can still do things to the 5.7..if use the ECU and so on... you can get chips for it and headers and so on...

You could do the 408 and a lot of other stuff for the price of the 5.7, and it would sound more cool.

HOWEVER, if money were no object and I was gonna drive one a lot, I'd slap in a 5.7 with the matching trans, and take advantage of the higher mileage, A/C, less problems with fuel, etc. I've got to think that setup would run really good in an A body that is 700 to 1000 pounds LIGHTER than a current Charger

-
Back