What to do to get a quicker launch...

-
If you can find a 8.75" with the removable carrier it would be a lot easier to go from gear to gear than the 8.25". If you value cruising the highway at high speeds and enjoying moderate gas mileage then the 3.91 gear is not for you. If you want to go from street light to street light as quickly as possible then you`ll get your moneys worth from the 3.91.

John's right. A 8-3/4 is quick to swap out but a 8-1/4 rear is alot more work. If you have a lift it isn't bad but laying under a car swapping gears isn't a real joy compared to just swapping out the whole 3rd member. Also if you do much hwy cruising 3600 rpm is really buzzing hard.

I run a PTC converter and it works real good. I ran a Mopar perf. converter first and swapped to the PTC and I like it alot better. Drives nearly like a stock converter when I'm putting around and when I step on it it flashes right up to 3000 making takeoff's effortless. They reasonably priced too.

Yep sounds like 3:21 gears.

I just looked at your signature line and see you have an Eddy cam in it. Which Eddy cam is it? The performer or performer RPM? Did you degree it in when you installed it?

If it were me I'd try the bigger stall converter first before going lower on the gears. Your stock converter only stalls about 1500 rpm so even if you went with a conservative 2500 stall you'd gain alot. What size rear tires are you running?

I'm going to try a TCI 904 Streetfighter, advertised flash of 3000RPM. Good deal from a buddy, so I'll let you guys know what I think of it in a a few weeks.

If you can find a 8.75" with the removable carrier it would be a lot easier to go from gear to gear than the 8.25". If you value cruising the highway at high speeds and enjoying moderate gas mileage then the 3.91 gear is not for you. If you want to go from street light to street light as quickly as possible then you`ll get your moneys worth from the 3.91.

I'm gonna get the suregrip 8 1/4 3.94 set just for the hell of it. Guys come down in price and if I'm still unhappy after the TCI Streetfighters in and the TransGo kit I'll gear down...

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll keep you informed. So many people just let threads die halfway, I'm tryin' to keep this alive for the next guy trying to figure it all out:toothy10:

Cheers,

D

Are you using a pinion snubber?

SS springs?

I would deninitely recommend an 8-3/4 sure grip larger gears, pinion snubber, and ss springs.
I am running all of these on my car with 3.23 gears and it hooks like mad, but I am also mini tubbed and have 12" tread width and mickey thompson sportsman pro tires.
I also have a four speed manual trans.

Also run a torque strap to keep the motor from lurching under torque, maybe even solid motor mounts too, but a torque strap is really all you need.

Don't forget a driveshaft loop.

Make the converter change, make sure your Ign. timing is "fast" to advance to 34-38 degrees. Find a 904 out of a police package/taxi, this will have the 2.74 low gear set. All these will help the "turtle" out of the hole! More work than $$$

Attachments

• Dart wheels up Chrysler Classic 2010.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 90
-
Back