What to do with outside of new gas tank

-

prorac1

Reaction score
exterior of tank.

What does everyone use?

We just bought a new tank for Jason's project 63 valiant.

Bare steel
Silver
Use primer as a base?

All input is welcomed.

Thanks. Eric

I left mine as delivered with what I would guess a galvanized coating. Bare steel?

I left mine as delivered with what I would guess a galvanized coating. Bare steel?

It does appear to be galvanized in pictures. I wasn't sure if surface rust was an issue with after market tanks.

I wash mine and clear coat em...keeps em looking good and easy to clean off if you wanted to.

It does appear to be galvanized in pictures. I wasn't sure if surface rust was an issue with after market tanks.

I have had mine in since 2014 and still looks the same. Not a daily driver though.

I used black undercoating on mine, just make sure what ever you do is have a good ground to the frame .

I left mine as is on the truck when I put the over size tank in. Specta coats all their tanks inside and out with a special coating that resists corrosion. It's also very slick and makes coating them with anything else problematic, unless you scuff the finish. I had mine coated with Red Kote in the inside and it didn't stick. I had to remove it and have it cleaned out to get all the Red Kote out. It was a mess.

I would at least coat the straps where they contact the tank.

02FFF8C9-93CA-498F-ABCB-4D13F989952C.jpeg

I ended up coating mine with a product called Sharkhide Metal Protectant that I got at Eastwood’s. I didn’t trust that clear would stick to the corrosion protection Spectra uses especially without scuffing it which would mess up the finish I’m trying to save. This stuff goes on a clean surface nice and easily with cloth baby diaper or a good quality cotton rag. I can’t testify to how long it will last, I’ll likely wipe on a new coat where I can reach each year since it only takes a couple minutes.

I just install them. The spectra tank I put in my Challenger ten years and 70,000 miles ago still pretty much looks the same. Daily driver for most of that, parked outside for most of it too.

Originally the car tanks came with just a natural finish, and probably most cars had an undercoating sprayed just on the bottom. I bought a Spectra tank, but I wanted a little more protection, so I sprayed with two coats of Eastwood SprayMax 2K Glamour High Gloss Clear and I'm very satisfied. 2 coats = 2 cans.

Thank you very much for the replies everyone. I didn't realize they put a coating over them. I think I will just try it Bear and see how it holds up and go from there. Thank you again for all the advice and help. Eric

The Spectra tank I bought came with a coating. I wasn't sure what it was and I removed it with iso alcohol. I didn't know how 'soaked' into the metal that coating was, or if i got it all off, so I left the tank bare as is. We'll see what happens.

-
Back