What to do?

-

speedster

Reaction score
All I was looking for was a nice A- Body cruiser to take to car shows and one I can take the wife around in. She likes car shows, her and I try to make it to Mopar Nationals almost every year. I shouldn't have even gone to look at it, Plum Crazy 1971 Plymouth Duster, "Built 340, Ported J heads,Edelbrock Torker Jr. intake, 540 lift cam, turbo action 8" torque converter, 8.75 rear with 3:91 gears etc... I made the point that the engine was built a bit much for what I wanted it for, but after the owner dropped the price down a ridiculous amount and offered to throw in the original front seat I was hooked!
Now the dilema, I really want to get this Duster to the point that I can cruise comfortably, have a bit of power when I need it but not wake the dead doing it. I know I'm going to catch alot of flack! "Why would you want to change anyting?" It's a point of driving it comfortably.
I already have the plan to take the exhaust out the back instead of ending at the doors with it. and I know that would do it some good.
I was told to possibly get a slightly smaller cam, and change to a dual plane intake. Anyone else have any more ideas?
Thanks

All I was looking for was a nice A- Body cruiser to take to car shows and one I can take the wife around in. She likes car shows, her and I try to make it to Mopar Nationals almost every year. I shouldn't have even gone to look at it, Plum Crazy 1971 Plymouth Duster, "Built 340, Ported J heads,Edelbrock Torker Jr. intake, 540 lift cam, turbo action 8" torque converter, 8.75 rear with 3:91 gears etc... I made the point that the engine was built a bit much for what I wanted it for, but after the owner dropped the price down a ridiculous amount and offered to throw in the original front seat I was hooked!
Now the dilema, I really want to get this Duster to the point that I can cruise comfortably, have a bit of power when I need it but not wake the dead doing it. I know I'm going to catch alot of flack! "Why would you want to change anyting?" It's a point of driving it comfortably.
I already have the plan to take the exhaust out the back instead of ending at the doors with it. and I know that would do it some good.
I was told to possibly get a slightly smaller cam, and change to a dual plane intake. Anyone else have any more ideas?
Thanks
Very nice Duster. The converter will need to be scaled back some. One of the good converter companies 3000ish stall 10" would be in the ball park. A Eddy Rpm dual plane and a cam in this range...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60402/... would give you good drivability, especially with the 3.91's, and plenty of power on the street. Also, you didn't specify what carb you had, but the 750cfm range is what your looking for. I prefer Holley's myself.

Well, how close to stock do you want to come or is there a 1/4 E.T. like power range you want? How is this for an idea? Put up for trade the parts your not going to use like the rear gear and swap it for 3.23's. Rick's cam is a good one, the intake is no longer a wanted part. TRY and E-bay it. Roll the money into a RPM or a Action Plus.

Thanks OldmanRick and Rumblefish. I'm not really looking for any certain E.T. The Duster does indeed have a 750 Holley, I'll take your advice on the cam and converter. Sounds like a good fall project!

What is the compression, if its pushing 11 to 1, I be extra careful switch cams - get a custom grind cam to bleed off some of the compression to run on pump gas

Some would say the 3.91 should go, my take is depends, if MPG is important then yes, 3.23 or 2.94's but the 340 will run all day at 70 mph even with those 3.91 gears and the 340 loves gearing / high rpm's

You might well want to pull the heads and see if they are dome pistons, that motor sounds built . Aluminum heads would be OK with 11 to 1

Want to trade motors? :blob:

Your engine combo interests me.

I would put a FULL exhaust system on your Duster first...tailpipes and proper mufflers will make a difference...you might be surprised.

I have a 2.5" Summit Racing exhaust system, compete with their mufflers on my Duster.

If you wanted to hear my car, maybe something could be arranged, I am about 1/2 hour drive from you according to your profile zip code.

There still are some Car /Shows Cruises going on in the area.

Paul

Not interested in trading! Thanks! I have a car show I'm going to on Friday at a nearby Sears. It will be my first with the car. Thanks for all the advice!

Dodge Freak, The previous owner stated 10.3 to 1 compression on the engine. Thanks for the help.

I was joking about engine trades.

You should drive your Duster as much as possible, with your wife if she is a factor in your decision. There still are a couple good months of weather left to decide how much you like or don't like your current set-up.

The Lincoln Park Sears Friday Cruise Night has been around a long time, I remember it from the mid 1980s. It supposed to rain Friday afternoon and evening...not sure how the turn out will be. They used to get 200-300 cars sometimes back in the old days. LOL Now I get out there 1 or 2 times per year, that's about it...there are some many local cruise nights now.

Also the Frankenmuth Autofest is going on this weekend, check it out at...

http://frankenmuthautofest.org/

The might cut into the Sears cruise also. If it looks like good weather, I might go to Sears.

Paul

Not interested in trading! Thanks! I have a car show I'm going to on Friday at a nearby Sears. It will be my first with the car. Thanks for all the advice!

..your not alone,i know a few guys who built a stroker or a nasty small block
and now wish they had as you say,more of a cruiser.
most say the next build will be near stock with a short duration cam for lo and mid range performance with a 3.23 gear.

Dodge Freak, The previous owner stated 10.3 to 1 compression on the engine. Thanks for the help.

Have a custom cam grind made up and let them know your ratio. This will help them to help you. Call Comp cams or Lunati etc... for there help. It is a snap to do and it is not expensive.

I just joined this forum in July and can't believe all the help available! Glad I'm here!

Gosh it seems once you change one thing you need to change another. The convertor is more likely perfect for the engine now but once you start detuning that convertor is going to be to big (to large of stall). The last thing you want is a mismatched combo in a nice looking car you have.

Mullinax95, You are right. Looks like I have some work to do to get the car the way I want. It' ll sure be worth it though!

-
Back