What to use for washer fluid?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I use plain water when it’s not freezing out, but anyone know of a product that won’t freeze and won’t stain the paint or strip wax in streaks?

Thx

A friend of the family had a recipe to make washer fluid. He owned a service station in Minnesota. That was back when they‘d pump gas for you , checked your oil and washed your windows. The stuff didn’t freeze in the winter.
Don’t have the recipe but I found one that I’m sure it close.

Windshield Washer Fluid Recipe​

1. In a clean 1-gallon jug, combine the water and methanol (if you do not have access to methanol, you can substitute rubbing alcohol), using the proportions listed in the table above.
  2. For example, if your vehicle will be exposed to temperatures as low as -10 F, choose a mixture of 70% water and 30% methanol. ( you could use cheap vodka too).:D
  3. Add 1 oz of washer fluid concentrate or dishwashing fluid such as Dawn or Joy.
  4. Add food coloring if desired. This step is optional and is mainly as a safety feature so that the fluid is not accidentally used for a different purpose.
  5. Seal the jug and shake lightly to mix (avoid suds). (If it still freezes just add a little more alcohol to it.)
I don’t know of anything that would make it not freeze that wouldn’t mess with the wax.

Last edited:
I've actually been thinking of trying something similar, at the price of this junk, nowadays

I haven’t filled the washer reservoir in my Scamp since I restored it in the 2007. And since it was in the body shop for a year, and in storage for several years before that, I don’t think it’s held liquid since the early 2000’s.

For my daily driver cars I buy something similar to this:
Robot or human?

Is it possible to make your own fluid for less than $5 once you also factor in the cost of your own time?

Whatever you do, don't use anything ammonia based OR put ammonia in the mix. You will end up with a greasy mess.

Plain old blue Washer Fluid.
When selling it, among other automotive fluids, it was referred to as "G.O.B." for Good Old Blue.

When I was driving 1000 miles a week in the salty northeast, I loved the Rain-X Orange fluid. I'd use two gallons a week, at most. With G.O.B., I'd use at least two gallons a day.

-
Back