What type of tape?

-

olddman

Reaction score
What type of tape do you use to wrap engine wiring harness? Friction tape,fleece,pvc,vinyl adhesive, vinyl nonadhesive or what? Going to rewrap wiring harness in a 1965 Dodge Dart GT.

Working on dash harness I will reuse or replace with the non adhesive 1 inch wide vybil like OEM. Under the hood I put a small amount of adhesive here and there as needed to hold the wires in position and completely cover with split loom. New split loom gets pricey at the stores but pick and pull yards will give it away.

F-bomb E-tape. Sticky gooey mess that you'll never get cleaned up.

Tightly wound non-adhesive vinyl.

non-adhesive tape if you are re-doing a harness-- electrical tape makes a mess if you ever have to get back into it. Lawrence

There were two types used on mine. Most of it is the non-adhesive. Thats a lot nicer if you need to get it off. I ususlly just put a small piece of electical tape to keep it from unraveling. Some stuff like headlights have a sticky cloth tape. You can get both on ebay, just search 'harness tape'. I got mine from Motercitymusclecars/Inline.

Painless has the best wire wrap I ever used expensive but you won't find better. Dis this dogge diesel with it. friction tape on ends and intersections. Tightens itself to size.

Attachments

• DSCF2838[1].jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCF2860.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 331
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like the non adhesive tape is the way to go which is what I was thinking of using. Like said it gets sticky!

Year One sells reproductions of the original wrap under P/N HWRAP.

I use scotch tape and band aids. It looks more redneck.

Scotch telephone splicing rubber tape. Works great but a pain to get off.

Tape? Loom? Ties?

z10.jpg

computer_wiring_nightm.jpg

wires.jpg

_WiringNightmare01.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Damn! That looks like the electrical version of spaghetti!

there were two types used on mine. Most of it is the non-adhesive. Thats a lot nicer if you need to get it off. I ususlly just put a small piece of electical tape to keep it from unraveling. Some stuff like headlights have a sticky cloth tape. You can get both on ebay, just search 'harness tape'. I got mine from motercitymusclecars/inline.

x2

and I'd hate to even think about finding anything in that wiring nightmare above!!!!! that would scare the H@## out of me!

If trying to look original, I would use non-stick vinyl tape like Mopar used. However, I am more "resto-mod". I have used PVC tubing, from SPC Technology or Alpha. Search for "PVC-105" on ebay. Various sizes, black or clear. However, works best with unterminated new wires. It is smooth, so much easier to keep clean than split loom. My 80's M-B's used it everywhere, for both wiring and vacuum tubes.

Lol have to think it funny on the e tape. I use nothing but. However all connections get soldered and tested before wrapping..I make sure everything is right!

-
Back