what valves for magnum EQ heads

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey guys
I was told I can lap my magnum valves into the EQ heads very easily.
I am not ready to buy EQ heads yet but I have found a set of 2.02 stainless valves cheap and thinking of grabbing them. It says fits magnum or la 360 but I thought the magnum ones were different! 8mm or is that wrong.
I want them for EQ heads but does anyone know what length and stem size I should be getting? Just to make sure I don't buy the wrong ones.
cheers
PS if I use the 2.02 intake valves do I just use the factory exhaust valves or do they need to be bigger too?

On my first set of mags (chinese knockoffs that that crook Ben Gorman of Promaxx in Indianapolis sold me as EQ's) I used 2.02/1.94 (maybe 1.92, too far back) chebby SB valves in it and on my good set of EQ's from Eric Haugland of Las Vegas (VG guy to deal with) I used some Hughes valves. I think OE mag dia is 8MM which is .315" . iirc the chebby valves are 11/32 (.3437") & you're only opening the guides 28.7 tho & your head man can easily do that & the chebby ex valve dia is a bit off from the mags but the mag ex dia is off from the listed dimention so the chebby ex valves fit dead on! (just open the guides). price them and the Hughes' and the extra guide labor & go from there. I also went with .100" longer stems (needed the extra installed height) & the chebby/speedway valves were cheap

Yopu should look after ENGBLDR user in Ebay, he sales SS valves at a very fair price and they are a great product so far. I have run them on my Slant Six and ·60 engine.

Hey guys
I was told I can lap my magnum valves into the EQ heads very easily.
I am not ready to buy EQ heads yet but I have found a set of 2.02 stainless valves cheap and thinking of grabbing them. It says fits magnum or la 360 but I thought the magnum ones were different! 8mm or is that wrong.
I want them for EQ heads but does anyone know what length and stem size I should be getting? Just to make sure I don't buy the wrong ones.
cheers
PS if I use the 2.02 intake valves do I just use the factory exhaust valves or do they need to be bigger too?

Where you getting the EQ heads? You know there made here in Aust somewhere. As far as getting a set of cheap valves forget it until you have the heads. If you still want the 202s you're looking at buy 'em now and if they turn out to be the wrong size on sell 'em later.
Serious where you getting the EQ heads?
Cheers

Macca Mancini sells the 8 mm valves MP S/S use them in mine,192/162,They have them in the 202 and up to 2.150 as well. Shoot them a email to see if they have them in stock.

Where you getting the EQ heads? You know there made here in Aust somewhere. As far as getting a set of cheap valves forget it until you have the heads. If you still want the 202s you're looking at buy 'em now and if they turn out to be the wrong size on sell 'em later.
Serious where you getting the EQ heads?
Cheers
Thanks for the info on where to get the valves.
Yes they used to be made in a foundry in Queensland not far from me but I have tried to contacted them several times and from memory I read they have moved the castings to the usa so I cant buy them here. I can get them in the US for around $300USD each bare.
Would love to find them here for the same money.

I have found out I will have to ream out the intake guides to fit them. I would rather just get the right ones to start with

Thanks for the info on where to get the valves.
Yes they used to be made in a foundry in Queensland not far from me but I have tried to contacted them several times and from memory I read they have moved the castings to the usa so I cant buy them here. I can get them in the US for around $300USD each bare.
Would love to find them here for the same money.

I have found out I will have to ream out the intake guides to fit them. I would rather just get the right ones to start with

Keep this in mind, the right ones may not have exactly the right clearance anyway and need some clearancing. I bought a new set of EQ's from Hughes that came with their valves and they were supposed to be set up. Guess what? The exhaust guides were too tight and scored the valves and guides in less than 5000 miles to the point they needed new valves and guides. From now on I never take anything for granted and always have my head guy set them up cause he does them right.

Everybody is wrong!

Use the 2.25/1.99 valves and port it to high heaven!

LMAO!!!!

EQs are service replacement heads first and foremost. Any stock Magnum valves will work. They are 8mm stem, and IIRC 1.92/1.6 valves. It is common to use a longer Chevy valve and CHevy rockers to get more lift. But in most applications stock stuff is fine. The ported and larger valve combos are all the results of a shop's work. So you have to know where you're buying and what they do.

-
Back