What will my 70 383 Super Cammando fit in

-

Bbnuts

Reaction score
I have a cherry 70 SUper Camando 383 with 4 spd and rear axle and am currently looking for a rolling chasis to put it in. Is there any specific models that I should be looking for or 'stay away' from. It all came out of a 70 Barracuda. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a cherry 70 SUper Camando 383 with 4 spd and rear axle and am currently looking for a rolling chasis to put it in. Is there any specific models that I should be looking for or 'stay away' from. It all came out of a 70 Barracuda. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think I'm correct in saying it will fit with no trouble in 67 and up A-Bodies:read2:

You can fit it in anything if you have a shoehorn that is big enough.....

If not handy with cutting torch or BFH,stay away from pre 67 a-bodies

Nothing a torch, sawzall and a welder can't make work and fix.

The E-body rear is a little wide IIRC, for most A bodies, sorry, all A bodies.
The shifter point of mount is in the wrong spot. It'll take a rear section swap to correct or an adapter plate to adjust it's position.

You could trade the rear for a rear and trans for a trans. E to A body

Funny you all say the tranz is to long, I picked up an e-body 4speed for a friend in late december.
I was expecting it to be the same length as a b-body, but no no its the same length as an a-body box.
Just with an extended mount on the tranz cross member.
is this the norm? or an aftermarket tranz cross member? The mount and cross member look factory. anyone seen this sort of thing before?

Oh and my valiant has a 440 in it, so if you want to put your 383 in a pre-67 A? I say do it! schumaker dos a kit.
Tim

You can use the Schumacher engine mounts to install it in an A-body. The trans should have two places to mount the shifter if it came out of an E-body. The rear mount is for E-body cars and the front for B-body cars. If you want to use it in an A-body it`s possible if you fabricate an adapter for the shifter plate. As it is, it should fit in a B or E-body without doing much. One other thing you`ll have to consider is no matter what you put it in (other than an E-body) you`ll have to get the correct exhaust for it. That would be headers or manifolds suited to the car and A-body manifolds are not cheap.

The E-body four speed is EXACTLY the same length as the B-body four speed. The E-body four speed also has TWO shifter mounts (as does the 70-up B-body four speed because it's the SAME TRANS).

I put a b-body trans in my dart sport.I had to make a adapter plate to put shifter in the right spot.I believe I got the pattern on bigblockdart.com I modified it a little.Used skock cross member.Had to shortened drive shift.

-
Back