What would make a car sound like a big rig stoping?

-

hoop

Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart, Just put a used drum/Hub on passage side with new bearings, & new shoes all the way around, brakes fine, drove it on a 40 minute drive, parked started back going & a load nose come in it about ever time I stoped, sounds like passage side, It sounds like the brakes on a big rig stoping, but it brakes fine!

So what would make a car sound like a big rig stoping???

I'm thinking the used drum may need resurfacing!

There is surely a better description for the loud sound than "big rig". Anyway...
My best guess is a spring/part. A return wasn't attached properly or simply broke and is now laying in the bottom of the drum or a retainer/cap on a hold down spring failed.
In any case you'll need to pull the drums and have a look. There are conditions like loose parts that will lock down a wheel when you least expect it. I had a 71 Gremlin go nearly 180 degrees around once because the hook end of a spring broke.

I have a 72 Dart, Just put a used drum/Hub on passage side with new bearings, & new shoes all the way around, brakes fine, drove it on a 40 minute drive, parked started back going & a load nose come in it about ever time I stoped, sounds like passage side, It sounds like the brakes on a big rig stoping, but it brakes fine!

So what would make a car sound like a big rig stoping???

If you are meaning a loud howling or moaning sound, probably so, assuming the brakes work right. You can use some 220 sandpaper (I like the drywall sanding grids) to rough up the drum surface if the surface is not too scored up, and see if that does it. Check everything else while you are in there too.

If you are meaning a loud howling or moaning sound, probably so, assuming the brakes work right. You can use some 220 sandpaper (I like the drywall sanding grids) to rough up the drum surface if the surface is not too scored up, and see if that does it. Check everything else while you are in there too.

X2
Probably just a surface mismatch.

So what would make a car sound like a big rig stopping???

I dunno, I drive a "big rig" everyday and my brakes are quiet.

With that said, follow the advice above.

Is it possible you put the shoes on in the wrong orientation?

They should be like a mullet, short toward the front, long toward the rear.

I was going to say collector leaking and popping like a jake brake, but if its a drum, I bet there is a return spring not installed, cocking the shoe and causing a whole lot-a-chatter.

Or more likely an over tightened hub bearing that is now toast.

There is surely a better description for the loud sound than "big rig". Anyway...
My best guess is a spring/part. A return wasn't attached properly or simply broke and is now laying in the bottom of the drum or a retainer/cap on a hold down spring failed.
In any case you'll need to pull the drums and have a look. There are conditions like loose parts that will lock down a wheel when you least expect it. I had a 71 Gremlin go nearly 180 degrees around once because the hook end of a spring broke.

Well, I would call it a loud and high pitched squealing noise. but not like a car make, I have only heard rigs make that nose stopping!... I never had heard a car make that nose until mine done it!

Yell, more of like howling or moaning sound!

The used drum I put on did have a light light grove in it & one small rust spot in it, but other then that, ok, that's way I'm thinking it may need to be took back off & have it turned!

The used drum I put on did have a light light grove in it & one small rust spot in it, but other then that, ok, that's way I'm thinking it may need to be took back off & have it turned!

and new pads again, do both sides the same

Drum being worn past its limit might be your answer if everything else is together correctly.

a sprang was in wrong hoe, but now after fixing that right fronts not working right!... I'll start a new post on that!

a sprang was in wrong hoe!

I cun see haoew thet 'iz 'n prollum

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZVnve5wG0A"]Velvet Jones School of Technology - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back