What would you do?

-

69-340Dart

Reaction score
Ive been creeping around the site for the last few years, and it sure came in handy while building my car. I used to be a mustang fan, but a few years ago my neighbor, a mustang guy, talked me into buying a Dart. This is my first "car" and has since turned into my life, and I'm officially a Mopar guy. It has at times been the only reason I didn't pack my bags and leave town.

I recently decided to list my car and see what kind of interest there was. I expected there to be plenty but also expected everyone to back off when I told them a price, and this was the case with 12 of the 13 emails I received. However one gentleman responded back, after I told him a price, offering pictures of a Barracuda to start negotiations. This is of interest because it is exactly what I mentioned in the ad.

I am not in a position yet that I have to sell my car, and I don't really want to. But it would be nice to pay off some debt. After a couple years of going from job to job, thanks to this thing we call the recession, I decided to go back to school to start a new path. My parents have been helping me, and I know my dad would rather help me than see me sell my Dart.

That being said, would you guys sink a little further into debt knowing that eventually this will come around while owning your first Mopar. Or sell the car to breathe a little easier and still being a Mopar owner.

I'm leaning toward keeping the car.

Heres a link to the ad.
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1969-Dodge-Dart-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ251774835

I'll tell you I've had A LOT of car in my life and sold pretty much all of them. That being said no matter how hard time got I've never sold my very first car. Now it's now a Mopar but I'll always keep it.
In your case if you sold your car I know at some point you'll regret it, I'd go a little deeper. Because no matter how crappy times may get, you can always jump in the dart and go for a cruise and just unwind. If it's too cold you can (and I quote the Godfather on this one) "it's the kind of ****, that makes you get up at 2am and wax the he'll out of your car"

I had to learn the hard way and have sold several cars I should have kept. If at all possible keep it. Even if you have a horrible day at work/school/home you can always go out for a cruise and take out your frustrations by banging gears, smoking the tires, or waxing mustangs or whatever.

depends what kind of debt your in.. will selling the car settle the debt? may be worth selling it if so. just don't get back in debt. bottom line is its just a car. there are more out there for down the road when you have no debt and are making the $$$$.

depends what kind of debt your in.. will selling the car settle the debt? may be worth selling it if so. just don't get back in debt. bottom line is its just a car. there are more out there for down the road when you have no debt and are making the $$$$.

Agree.

If it means,say,saving your house - flick the car.

If you're gonna lose the house anyway - hide the car.:-D

Then,if you're somewhere in between,it becomes soul searching time for you.

There is merit in what others say about unwinding in something cool and struggling through financially.
By the way,I genuinely feel for you US people.It seems you lot are doing it an aweful lot tougher than we are over here and it appears to be through circumstances that no one can individually overcome.

There is also merit in dropping out altogether and coming back when you are more financially stable.That's what I did.Had about 12 yrs away from the game ,worked hard 24/7 and then came back with more than enough to take on the cars you only ever dreamed of doing.

If you do sell,it's not like it's your 1st car.You said you were into frauds previously.It's only your 1st mopar.

On that note I think I'll crawl away and dwell on that last comment:angry7:

OK, I know this is a little off the subject, but why did you list the car if you didn't want to sell it?
I've heard this before, and never really got it. Nothing sucks worse than finding the car of your dreams, or the perfect project when you have money in hand and then having the seller back out!

Don't be that guy.

I recently decided to list my car and see what kind of interest there was. I expected there to be plenty but also expected everyone to back off when I told them a price, and this was the case with 12 of the 13 emails I received. However one gentleman responded back, after I told him a price, offering pictures of a Barracuda to start negotiations. This is of interest because it is exactly what I mentioned in the ad.

Seriously? Not a cool way to find out what your car is worth.

4flats, your interpretation skills are lacking at best. I did not say I was trying to find out the value of my car, I know what the car is worth TO ME.

If you know what the car is worth to you, and you have someone willing to negotiate, What is the problem? If he can match "what it is worth to you" sell it; if not, don't.

If you did not intend to sell it, don't waste everyones time by listing it.

Please make your original intent clear to those of us with weak interpretation skills.

I would sell it to me for cheap!!:toothy10: I had my car since 1980 and yes there were times when I could have used the cash from selling it but I'm sure glad now that I didn't.

Well, after further communication with the guy that wanted to trade his "cuda" I stop replying to his emails. This guy sent a picture of the "cuda", which turned out to be a duster that was fully caged, tubbed, and was missing most of the front end, with the passenger side frame rail having a 360 degree twist.
I told him I was not interested in his car and he became totally ignorant. This was his response.

hmm. I thought I was talking to a real car enthusiast gear head. Do you want me to talk to your wife? ....because it seems that you are not thinking clearly; as a real man would not pass on this. This sounds like a womans decision that your making Brent. Since you have not brought up a number, I will throw one at you and so how that grabs you.

1. I will haul out my 'Cuda for free to your house on Saturday
2. unload it for free, taking on all transportation costs, efforts and what -not
3. consult with you for free, educate you and your wife on making better sound car decisions
4. load up your blue car and you make 20000 on the deal. you are never out of pocket.

Thanks Brent.

Going for a jog now so wont be back till later. Kelly

I couldn't have made this up if I tried. It is very unfortunate that people like this exist. I have since had 2 other guys come along that are more civilized and serious. I will continue discussions with them, and for the time being I am going to remove my ad. The more I think about it, the more I realize what this car and the experience it provided means to me. If I don't receive a suitable offer, I will hold on to my car for as long as I can afford.

And nqkjw, This is my first "car", I was a mustang fan but never had one, I have had 3 trucks since I began driving.

Well, that is a really ***-a-hola reply. Just block him and let it go.

-
Back