What're those rectangle Holes for.....

-

Jlcaptain24

Reaction score
The ones in the rear bumper for a 72 Dart Swinger. I'm in the process of shaving my bolts and I'm inclined to fill these in also.....but have no idea why they're even there. The rectangle ones on the lower half....kinda in between and blow the tail lights. See pic...not my dart...scoured pic from the internet.

Attachments

• 1972-dodge-dart-swinger-rear.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 401
bumper jack slots

I wouldn't recommend ever using a bumper jack on it so filling them in isn't a bad idea.

bumper jack slots

I wouldn't recommend ever using a bumper jack on it so filling them in isn't a bad idea.

Holy crap...I can't remember the last time I jacked a car by it's bumper!! I wasn't even thinking that...they're getting filled it. THANKS!!!

What if you get a flat tire? Then what? Or maybe you don't mind sitting on the side of the road waiting for the towtruck.Any other type of jack needs to be strapped down in your trunk so it cannot get airborne in an accident.
The paint and chrome on that back end look pretty good!

Obviously for you, those rectangle holes are for filling in.

anyone willing to wait for a tow truck over a flat tire, really needs to buy a prius and get a pink I-phone.

A floor jack strapped in the trunk behind the rear seat on the part that goes over the rear end keeps it out of the way and you jack the car under a subframe chunk.....100% safer.

I know that sometimes you can mess up the bumper alignment when you use the old bumper jacks. On my '69 barracuda I modified a modern Monte Carlo jack so that it fits into a particular spot on the sub frame. This particular jack is easy to use and store. You can find them at swap meets for $5 to $15, brush them up, repaint and you have a very nice jack that stores real nice.

Treblig

Attachments

• Monte carlo jack - Copy.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 309
I know that sometimes you can mess up the bumper alignment when you use the old bumper jacks. On my '69 barracuda I modified a modern Monte Carlo jack so that it fits into a particular spot on the sub frame. This particular jack is easy to use and store. You can find them at swap meets for $5 to $15, brush them up, repaint and you have a very nice jack that stores real nice.

Treblig

those are nice and handy, most 80s full sized GM cars have those. I have one similar to that out of a 88 caprice classic former cop car.

What if you get a flat tire? Then what? Or maybe you don't mind sitting on the side of the road waiting for the towtruck.Any other type of jack needs to be strapped down in your trunk so it cannot get airborne in an accident.
The paint and chrome on that back end look pretty good!

If I get a flat tire, I'll change it. Just because I'm not going to jack my car by the bumper (which is clearly not a good idea...as you can see the bumper already bend there from doing so) doesn't mean I won't have any means to jack my car.

Treblig
Brilliant...thanks.

Brilliant...thanks.

No problem. I'll try and post a pic of the one I have in my Barracuda to show how I modified it. If I remember correctly I think there are some large holes in the frame (on the bottom side) which can be use a stabilizing point so that the jack can't slip/fall off once you get the car jacked up.

treblig

I wouldn't use the original jack either. It tends to damage the bumper. Also a 1970 jack does not need the slots. But they usually cost alot due to the fact they are the same as a 70 Cuda.

some trucks have the hydraulic bottle jacks I believe the late 90s ford f150's

lots of chrysler cars use the scissor jacks.

Yes those will also work but I if you've ever had to change a tire by the side of the road or on a crowned street where the ground isn't flat you'll want something more stable. I've used bottle jacks on a flat concrete surface and they work fine but I've also used them on gravel or on a crowned road and it's actually dangerous. The scissor jack also work well but my experience with them is that when you crank on the handle (when the jack is collapsed) the whole thing wants to rotate. You have to physically hold the base of the scissor jack and crank on the oddly shaped handle at the same time. I cussed scissor jacks many times and eventually settled on the Monte Carlo jack. It doesn't try to rotate, it can be easily modified to hook into the frame (safety) and it has great height when fully extended. The Monte Carlo jack is also designed to stay "on center" as you raise the car.

Keep the ideas coming!!!!
Treblig

the only way I can get the rear tire out from under my '69 dart is to use the bumper jack. wheel well is too tight to use a jack under the car. yes, you can raise it but doesn't help much if the tire doesn't come out.

the only way I can get the rear tire out from under my '69 dart is to use the bumper jack. wheel well is too tight to use a jack under the car. yes, you can raise it but doesn't help much if the tire doesn't come out.

The Mote Carlo jack raises the frame just like the bumper jack raises the frame by lifting the bumper (which is attached to the frame). Now if you put the jack under the axle I can see how you would have a problem.

treblig

-
Back