What's a better 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 TRADE???

-

slantysix

SlantySix
Reaction score
I've got an 8 3/4 a-body axle 741 case small bolt. Should I built a 8 3/4 or should I get a 8 1/4 rear with one broken axle and no brakes, find one axle and brakes 10" x 2" (already 4.5")? Or should I build the 8 3/4, need two new axles (4.5") and brakes 10" x 2"? Just running a six. Just not sure what is cheaper to build, juat a street/strip car. Been looking for a 8 1/4 axle, but having a hard time finding one. Should I trade the 8 3/4 (need 4.5" axles) for the 8 1/4 (needs one axle already 4.5")? Anyone have a 8 1/4 with two good axles they want to trade? I'm in Hamilton Ontario...Just don't know which is a better option????

If I had a housing and center chunk, I would go ahead and get axles and brakes for the 8 3/4". I lost all respect for 8 1/4"s when I broke one with a 4 cylinder Dakota.

Then all you need is axles and 10" backing plates from anything '73 up eh? Make sure you get the spreader bars and emergency brake arms from the donor car since you can't get them at the parts store.

If I had a housing and center chunk, I would go ahead and get axles and brakes for the 8 3/4". I lost all respect for 8 1/4"s when I broke one with a 4 cylinder Dakota.

If you had one made before 96 you had the extremely bizarre 10 bolt 7 1/4 with the axle tubes that narrow down going into the center. That's what would have been stock. My friend had a 93 and we broke the 10 bolt 7 1/4 with the 4cyl and put in a real 8 1/4 at that time.

That being said the 8 3/4 is a better overall piece, but the proper 8 1/4 will work good in this application too. Have fun finding replacement axles for an 8 1/4 though.

I'm just flat out confused here!!!!! Is this person asking which is better??? 8 1/4 or 8 3/4???? The answer to that is obvious. Or is he asking this because he is having difficulty finding axles for one of them???? To me it sounds like he is asking these questions in order to easily make one of them work with the large bolt pattern????

I would go with the 8 3/4. It will last longer and be a better investment. But thats just what I would do.

by far an 8 3/4 rearend is a far better choice that way if you decide to upgrade to a v8 you wont have to swap rearends parts are more readily availablefor the 8 3/4

If you had one made before 96 you had the extremely bizarre 10 bolt 7 1/4 with the axle tubes that narrow down going into the center. That's what would have been stock. My friend had a 93 and we broke the 10 bolt 7 1/4 with the 4cyl and put in a real 8 1/4 at that time.

That being said the 8 3/4 is a better overall piece, but the proper 8 1/4 will work good in this application too. Have fun finding replacement axles for an 8 1/4 though.

Dad broke the original rear and I replaced it with a new 8 1/4". That's the one I broke. The carrier split in half right below the ring gear. Had another one in a '74 Charger behind a stock 318 that broke an axle and took out the quarter panel. Far as I'm concerned, 8 1/4s are as dependable as 10 bolt Chevys. They're junk.

Yeah, looking for a way to save some money and convert to big bolt, not racing just a driver with a six. I have a 8 3/4 I would like to build with disc brakes and big bolt pattern one day, but for now I can get a 8 1/4 with 4.10 and sure grip with a broken axle. Just trying to figure out how and where to get an axle shaft, one is broken. Or should I get some c-body axles and have them resplined and cut and just run drums for now on the 8 3/4. Just looking for a cheaper way to get big bolt for now. . What's better, i know the 8 3/4 is stronger. But can I get an axle shaft for a 8 1/4 cheaper than getting two axles for a 8 3/4. I've got a reply for where to get a 8 1/4 axle shaft, but will one from a 73-76 a-body only fit or do other makes and models fit (lenght)? I've heard Moser, but have not found a listing for one...Sould I just buy axles for the 8 3/4, forget about the 8 1/4 and stop bugging you guys lol, I'm just looking for some advice. Thanks for your time, Just not sure what to do???

If it was me I would build the 8 3/4. I have seen Yukon A body axles Large bolt pattern on e-bay for 179 a set plus shipping. You could also have your SBP axles re-drilled to bigger bolt pattern along with your drums. Also most C body axles can be cut down and re-splined to a body length to get the large bolt pattern. An 8 3/4 under your car is a good investment and will increasy your cars value.

Slanty,I,ll try to help here:

8 1/4 rear,new richmond 4.10 gears with sure-grip bbp,needs an axel (no hardware,brakes)or

8 3/4 gears??sbp axels (no hardware,brakes)

This will be going in a 6 cyl. car,which would be the cheapest route to take?

My 2 cents is for sure-grip anything!

Hope this helps Roman!

Hey, thanks. To me it just sounds like I'd be better off just getting axles for the 8 3/4 big bolt, get drums and backing plates from a doner car and just put it together. I can pick up c-body axles and have them cut and splined for pretty cheap. Than just save up for a better case and sure grip. Thanks for all your help. I just tought the 8 1/4 would be a cheaper fix for now. Build it once build it right. 8 3/4 it is....now I'm talking sense lol...

-
Back