Whats a good price for a 74?

-

jeryst

Reaction score
Ran across a guy who has a 74 Dart Swinger. 95k miles. Slant 6. Completely original. Drove it home 600 miles from down south.

What is a fair price for it? I'm thinking about buying it, but I'd like some opinions.

Depends on rough the body is and what options the car has. That being said /6 generally sell for less

my valiant is a 74, loaded with AC, PB and PS, all working with a 318 and I paid 1500. Am guessing 1k depending on overall condition

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I have a '75 Swinger 225 auto with only 29K on it. I've got it on Craig's list for $4500 but no takers yet. I figured that was a deal but who knows.....is $4500 out of line for such a low miles car?

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I have a '75 Swinger 225 auto with only 29K on it. I've got it on Craig's list for $4500 but no takers yet. I figured that was a deal but who knows.....is $4500 out of line for such a low miles car?

It's a /6 that way im thinking no takers, if it was a 318 or 360, it'd be gone already

With gasoline headed the way it is, that 6 may start looking pretty good soon!

The pointy nose and the somewhat unattractive tail lights of a 74 - 76 Dart often deter people who are looking for a muscle car of the 70's. I find those year of Darts are usually cheaper. Plus with the /6, they usually make great daily drivers, but nobody wants to put out a large chunk of change for them.

This one has no rust at all, and everything is original except for the tires.
He wants $3800 for it.

3800 is way too much. Those generally go for 800-1500 around here depending on condition. The only time I'd even go as high as 2000 for one is if the engine was recently rebuilt and the suspension was all good. Even then thats kinda high because like the previous poster said, they have about the least desireable grille and tail lights.

You didn't say if 2 door or 4 door. Even 2 door has variants - hardtop or post (not sure about 74). 4 doors go for much less since not considered sporty. For practical daily driver a 4-door slant six is great and you can get fairly cheap since little re-sale value.

Like ESP4, I see 74 slant sixes sell for ~$1500 in Sacramento, and that is minimal rust. Some ask $5K, but that is usually people who inherited the car, see a few car shows and think all Darts are worth $10K, so they price lower since faded paint, etc. A long ways from theirs to the show car, and no way to get a 4-door there.

It really does depend on what part of the country you're in, when I used to sell a lot of body parts on ebay all my parts went up north, one guy had his wife drive from Maryland to North Carolina just to pick up a '79 Malibu door, that should tell ya something, either the guy was crazy or he couldn't find a rust free door...

I would not give more than 2k for it if i wanted it.There are more desireable cars out there in that price range.

if it is 100% rust free 2 door, it has some value in the northeast. does it have disc brakes? a/c? 7 1/4 or 8 1/4 rear? depending on what you plan to do with it, all of those will effect the price. the 72+ cars are normally worth less, but you can get more bang for the buck and not have to change to big bolt pattern, electronic ignition, dual field alternator, disc brakes and the 8 1/4. might not look as cool as an earlier dart but you can spend a few bucks just upgrading those things on an earlier car. its nearly impossible to find a rust free muscle car that is originally from the northeast, you can find them elsewhere but then you have to transport it. i could see going up to 3,000 if its really nice and original paint so you know nothing is hidden under a repaint.

1973-1976 dart swingers should never go above 2000 unless its a v8 car and has work/restoration done to it My 1974 swinger was a rust free v8 cali car and I walked away with it for 1400.00 A rust free car is a rust free car though if you are having hard time finding a rust free project get them down some cash and get your self a nice mopar and regardless on what evreyone says here 1973-1974 darts always lookg good.......

Attachments

• 020 (Copy).JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 021 (Copy).JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 80
  • mopar 005 (Copy).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 87
  • mopar 006 (Copy).JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 99
-
Back