What's in this Barracuda?

-

sprue

Reaction score
Over a year ago I picked up a Barracuda that was someone's project. They had intended it to be a gasser with a welded diff (which was broken when I got my hands on it) I got it running with a new carb and some minor engine work and replaced the broken spider and ring gears. Now I'm wondering what's missing. The original column shifter linkage has been removed as well as the kickdown levers and it has a B&M shifter installed on the floor. The shifter works well and it easily shifts from 1st to 2nd and D manually. The transmission is a 904. Is there an easy way to tell if a manual valve body has been installed? I'm about to put some money down on a linkage cable to make sure I don't inadvertently kill the transmission.

All I had were reverse manual Valve bodies. Meaning the Drive, 2, and 1 were backwards. 1 -2- D.
And if you had it Drive ( 3 ) it would take off in 3rd. It will not shift on it's own , you have to manually shift it.
1st gear will not gear the car down when you let off the pedal, it free wheels.

If it bangs hard from Neutral to Low, at idle, then the throttle pressure has been cranked up, which points to a shift kit.
If it starts in whatever gear you put it in, the VB has been modded and points to the possible elimination of the KD mechanism.
If it barks the tires going into second at WOT, yur all set just drive the nuts off it.

But if the engine revs up between shifts; STOP! That ain't right. Go get you a KD mech and try again.

useless.gif

If you put it in Drive and take off from a stop at hard throttle, is it in 3rd?
I haven't tried that. To be honest I'm not keen on testing the limits of this little 7 1/4 differential. When I was cruising really slow around the neighborhood and I switched it from 2nd to D it really struggled like when you upshift from 1st to 3rd on a stick. I thought switching from 2nd to Drive on an auto, the transmission would select the proper gear.
What kind of pics? You can't see much of the engine bay or the transmission because of the headers.

I haven't tried that. To be honest I'm not keen on testing the limits of this little 7 1/4 differential. When I was cruising really slow around the neighborhood and I switched it from 2nd to D it really struggled like when you upshift from 1st to 3rd on a stick. I thought switching from 2nd to Drive on an auto, the transmission would select the proper gear..

Those 7 1/4" axles are not very strong... I broke 3 of them in 4 years behind a mild 318 with 9.2 compression, a stock 340 cam, 600 vac secondary carb and dual exhaust on a daily driver....

I went to an 8 3/4" axle after that and never broke that one in over 5 years and 150,000 miles...

What kind of pics? You can't see much of the engine bay or the transmission because of the headers.

You would be surprised at what some people can pick up on from pictures... Many can spot things that you overlook...

Besides, we love pictures here on FABO....

Just following up: I Installed a kickdown cable and today it passed inspection and is now tagged and legal to drive! Now all that's left is replace the fuel sender, speedo, radiator, shocks, and get it painted and sealed up before winter.

-
Back