What's the best way to repair these holes

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 72 Dodge Demon with same cancer around the windows. So what's the best way to repair these cut and weld or por 15 and expoxy putty or even fibreglass repair.

I'm an ok welder but nothing special.

I will be keeping the car, planning a stroker 383.

Most all the body work is done. We painted the under side with bed liner.

Oh by the way whats the best primer to apply over the por 15, Expoxy primer or ?

Thanx everyone .

Rick

HPIM1893.jpg

HPIM1894.jpg

HPIM1895.jpg

HPIM1896.jpg

First, can you get some shots from a just little further out? Close ups are good, but these are almost too close.

Second, cut it out, weld in new metal. Treat with Por or KBS Coatings on the back side. On the exterior, use regular automotive finishes like PPG. Por is great, I love the stuff, but it was never meant to be used on the outer shell of the car except in areas like around window channels where it can be concealed under trim pieces. Since in most cases, rust starts from underneath, that's where you want to apply Por 15.

But I could really use some wide angle shots of the area you're repairing.

Back in the early 70's, I had a car with the same problem. I took it to an old guy that did leadwork. He ground it all down, leaded all the holes, and repainted it. I had the car for at least another 5 years after I got it repainted, and no rust ever showed up there again.

I dont know how long it really would have lasted, however, and I dont know if they still allow leading, or if anyone still does it.

You could find someone that knows how to use a metal break and get them to fab up the pieces that need replaced cut the old out and weld in the new and probably come out 100% better than trying to lead it. my opinion

Any rust you don't cut out will come back to haunt you. Don't rely on "elixers" to keep it at bay. Cut it out and weld in new metal. Even if you decide to use fiberglass and matting, cut the rust out first.

another vote for cutting out the rust and welding new metal patches, covering holes only temporary fix the bproblem, and if you're keeping the car, don't do it, spend few extra hours and get it done right

Stefan

Are those spots along the lip where the windshield or backglass fit into?
Find a donor car to cut what you need out of it.
Check with your local heating and air conditioning shop. They usually have a sheet metal brake in the shop.

I have the complete upper lip from my Valiant that I parted out I could cut out a few pieces 6-8 inches long if you pay shipping.

Do it right, cut it out and weld in new metal.

Thanks,

Do you need a larger picture to cut out the proper pieces.

We are Toronto, Ontario and do you take paypal or how would you like us to pay.

Rick 416 816 5578

Yeah get a pic a little farther out. Paypal is fine let me see how much you need and get an accurate quote.

-
Back