Whats the deal with ignition modules

-

Reaction score
I see 4 pin and 5 pin. I see an orange box that clearly is a Mopar part ( and is supposedly meant for high performance/high RPMS ) and then I see alot of other modules listed on E-bay that are various colors that have no Mopar stamp on them yet the seller says NOS.

I see ALOT of different part numbers which I do not understand, different part number means there was a change but I thought that the slant and V-8 modules were the same so why all the numbers and changes?

I am using a harness from a mid 70s Dart on my slant six, not sure what I should be looking for?

Thanks

A portion of the early modules operated on less that 12 volts. a 5th wire and a dual ballast resistor was how they accomplished this. Later modules could operate on 12 volts so the 5th wire and half of the dual ballast resistor was no longer needed.
Bottom line... if you buy a 5 wire harness and 4 pin module will work.

The orange box is designed for 5500 max.

learned that after burning numerous ones up in my 340 , upgraded to a chrome box and all is well

I see ........... I see .............that clearly is a........... and then I see alot of other .................. no Mopar stamp on them yet the seller says NOS.

I see ALOT of different part numbers which I do not understand,

You have to realize that the world is full of bullshitters and liars, and "things have changed."

"In the beginning" IE circa 1971 or 1972, when Mopar dreamed up these systems, the 5 pin box was as Red stated above.

"At some point" in the late 70's a redesign of the box happened, eliminating the 5th wire and the need for the 4 pin resistor."

Fast forward to "now." We have CHINESE (and other third world) manufacturers. Hell there was a recent article about MSD BOXES BEING COUNTERFEITED

If a box did not come from a TRUSTED Mopar source and does not have the proper Mopar logo, then it's not a Mopar box

Yep. People have opened up new Mopar boxes and even MSD labelled boxes and found either a little transistor (w/ fake TO3 case on outside) or a GM HEI module inside. That isn't necessarilly bad since new electronics is often better. Indeed, some here put an HEI module under the cover, keeping the Mopar look and wiring.

Thanks guys, I have been told the orange boxes are not so good. Any truth too that and if so what do you all recommend?

Street driver, never going to see high RPM but would just ask that it last a long time.

what others said above. however, I'll be ordering one of these rev-n-ator modules for mine shortly. heard lots of good success stories from the v8 crowd and it has a rev limiter built in (may come in handy on my manual in case I miss a shift) http://thertgarage.com/products.html

I'm just running a 4 pin HEI. "If I ever get time" I might install it inside an MT Mopar box for appearance sake.

-
Back