What's the deal with the Poly 318

-
66fs, check the link I left.

I did, but that is ported way too far for me, by the time you are breaking into water jackets and sleaving pushrod holes. The cool thing is the exhaust port! That flows well. I am not a porter, my numbers come from this link, http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#Chrysler . Porting is an Art in my opinion. I have a self imposed .50 valve lift limit. My stuff has to be bulletproof, I'll leave the all out competition to others with more time and money. That said, I make more power than I can use. My friends are/were Stock and Super Stock class racers so their approach to machining made a big impression on me. They also left me with a lack of appreciation for Bench Racing, theoretical numbers, magazine hype, and other general BS. The Poly head is still no slouch and a lot of things add up that don't show in the numbers. Thanks for the consideration!

Putting an issue aside as if they were a bolt in and go, I would have to go with weight.
Making the most of the available stock or ported head flow is the biggest key in power production. The poly head idea is excellent but this particular head may not flow the best or be ported out as well as the current available after market heads will flow.

There is a fella on the sister site, FBBO, that has taken a lot of time on poly heads to come up with something really nice. Not for the average guy kind of stuff. Milled rocker stands, he took molds of the chamber for custom pistons, etc....
Click the link --> http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...-CNC-Ported-318-Poly-Heads&highlight=CNC+poly

That is my friends handy work he has 5 custom sets of heads in the shop now,building 2 stroked polys, i was just over there..everything is custom... he's got a pro comp engine on the stand he's going to fire up tomorrow for me can't wait:D:D

Nice thread and good info for Poly folks.

As the Poly is a bad fit into an A-bod most folks here will not be interested in them?

But even so it’s a fine engine with some nice goodies now lol.

Happy New Year to all Poly fans...

I am not a pure purist, but I like engines in models they came in. It just seems appropriate. Maybe the 426 hemi did not come in a 59 Fury, and to me does not need to be there. But a gen 1 hemi would work for me there. Thats my point.
The poly 318 "wide block" is not really wider, yes some heavier than an LA, the poly heads look wider and thus the name.

My friend uses Poly 318s to repower old Power Wagons and M37s. A friend repowered his old Dodge and was going to scrap his running poly 318, but I saved it and donated to my other buddy to put in a PW project.

2021-06-05 16.08.35.jpg

Another thread resurrection. lol

Just saw this post, what's the deal with the 318 Poly. Back in 2002 I purchased a '63 Plymouth Fury with a Poly 318. It had been upgraded with a small cam, 4V intake, valve job and dual exhaust. It ran well but I wanted a little more. I had a '64 383 to swap but it would have been just another big block like everyone elese had. In 2004 I teamed up with Gary Pavlovich and started learning about Poly Head engines. My engine builder Bill Richardson of RAM Racing Engines was on boad with my ideas, build a Poly like a Rolex watch, blue printed and dare to be different. The plan came together in 2006 and this is what was built.

Here are some of the specs on my engine using a 1964 318 block, bored .090", stroked to 3.58" making 359 cu.in.

Callies Dragon Slayer 3.58 crank
Crower forges rods
CP Carillo forged aluminum pistons 9.5 CR
Racer Brown ST-14 flat tappet cam 266 deg. .486" lift
Howard pushrods
RAM blueprinted heads & rockers 1.5 ratio
Mildon 8.5 qt oil pan
Melling oil pump
Weiand 7503 intake ported to heads
REV stainless steel chromed tip valves 1.96 in 1.60 exh
Mallory 57 magnetic breakerless distributor, 30440 coil, Scott plug wires
100 amp 1-wire alt
TTI headers, 3" Max Wedge exhaust, Spin Tech XL mufflers
Craig Fountain valve covers

This smaller 359 inch package revs up to 6500 real quick and on the dyno made 392 hp @5700 rpm, 392 tq. @4200 rpm. Transmission is a '62 727 modified by Bellafatto. It uses a 24 spline input shaft, 518 metallic clutches, 4 clutch forward drum, Fairbanks extra wide intermediate band, HD band strut, Turbo Action forward manual valve body, and TCI 2600 stall converter. Gears are 3.55 with 31" tires.

e38.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

ram_logo.gif

ps77.JPG

f245.JPG

f288.jpg

Just saw this post, what's the deal with the 318 Poly. Back in 2002 I purchased a '63 Plymouth Fury with a Poly 318. It had been upgraded with a small cam, 4V intake, valve job and dual exhaust. It ran well but I wanted a little more. I had a '64 383 to swap but it would have been just another big block like everyone elese had. In 2004 I teamed up with Gary Pavlovich and started learning about Poly Head engines. My engine builder Bill Richardson of RAM Racing Engines was on boad with my ideas, build a Poly like a Rolex watch, blue printed and dare to be different. The plan came together in 2006 and this is what was built.

Here are some of the specs on my engine using a 1964 318 block, bored .090", stroked to 3.58" making 359 cu.in.

Callies Dragon Slayer 3.58 crank
Crower forges rods
CP Carillo forged aluminum pistons 9.5 CR
Racer Brown ST-14 flat tappet cam 266 deg. .486" lift
Howard pushrods
RAM blueprinted heads & rockers 1.5 ratio
Mildon 8.5 qt oil pan
Melling oil pump
Weiand 7503 intake ported to heads
REV stainless steel chromed tip valves 1.96 in 1.60 exh
Mallory 57 magnetic breakerless distributor, 30440 coil, Scott plug wires
100 amp 1-wire alt
TTI headers, 3" Max Wedge exhaust, Spin Tech XL mufflers
Craig Fountain valve covers

This smaller 359 inch package revs up to 6500 real quick and on the dyno made 392 hp @5700 rpm, 392 tq. @4200 rpm. Transmission is a '62 727 modified by Bellafatto. It uses a 24 spline input shaft, 518 metallic clutches, 4 clutch forward drum, Fairbanks extra wide intermediate band, HD band strut, Turbo Action forward manual valve body, and TCI 2600 stall converter. Gears are 3.55 with 31" tires.

View attachment 1716052480

View attachment 1716052481

View attachment 1716052482

View attachment 1716052483

View attachment 1716052485

View attachment 1716052486
Yep, they are cool and can be built to run really well.

-
Back