Whats the hardest job when you are restoring a car

-
Money,time,finding parts,a garage to work on it and motivation.But makes it harder in the winter and with no garage,hopefully soon.

finishing all the saftey items before takin it out...ie seatbelts, brakes, turn signals

If I keep reading these threads I won't work on my cars again!. HAHAHA.

Trying to get these three aligned

Time
Money
Place

Seems like I can only get two of them together at any particular time :(

Grant

for me its

I N T I M I D A T I O N. I know how to make the car mechanically sound, engine, suspension, etc... its the bodywork that intimidates me and being able to see any mistake. oh and Motivation works too... i need a motivator to help me do the body work on it. :)

Putting it back together without scratching the paint.

Removing all the old undercoating off the bottom side without a rotisserie or lift after the car was painted. It's a dirty, tedious, and labor intensive job with gas, blow torches and heat guns. Better do it with a sand blaster before body work on a rotisserie.

Ya I remember doing that, its sucked.

I would have to say.............Just about all of it...............Just about everythings a challenge for me.Not mechanically inclined and need lots of help. Motivation i have.:thumbup:

i would have to say planning the build. When i took my truck apart i was just gonna rebuild the motor. After i put a little cam in it, i kinda wish i would have built a stroker motor. interior is all out gonna put in bucket seats. and i want to build it a wood bed because i think a d150 with a wood bed and big tires up under the rear end would look good. it's really hard to plan them and stick to your original plan

Finding parts and shipping across the border.

X2!!
Just wait. Our govt is engaged in "secret" talks about border stuff with Obama and his cronies right now. I can almost guarantee the result of those talks will make it even more difficult and expensive to bring stuff across the line.

Sorting out those little details that I know will drive me nuts if I don't get 'em right...

I would say staying motivated enough to NOT go for months and not doing anything to it. That can spell death to a project. But also, not to get that "deer in the headlights" look when you stare at the rolling shell that you completely stripped.

But specifically, I hate doing little trim piece jobs or trying to assemble my factory A/C without all the parts you need (push-button vacuum switches that are not available :( )

HEY I FOUND A NEW ONE YESTERDAY!!!!
sanding the whole bottom of your car and prepping it for the last coat of primer(that u know in the back of your mind, you will have to sand again before paint). i can barely type. my finger tips feel like they were in a tank full of pirahna.

Now that I'm right in the middle of rewiring the Dart I will say that this wiring thing is a pain in the ***!!!

Hardest part is getting vendors to live up to the deadlines.

-
Back