Whats the hardest job when you are restoring a car

-
well depending on who you are and what your abilities are it can all be hard. I always tell all my friends, if it was easy then everyone would do it.

I can not keep my finger nails clean! :scratch: Wire brush and Gojo don't cut it!

i d say funds, and sand-blasting i d say sucks the most. especially on your back, upsidedown blasting the whole bottom of the car. never do that crap again!!!
I will second that one and add the grinding welds part

66cuda hit it for me. "FINISHING IT!!! getting to a point where nothing else needs to be done beside wiping and waxing and such.........

I wasn't even aware that you could finish a project! I thought a car project was sort of like Hotel California.....you can get in but you can never get out. Some portions of my projects get done several times, maybe not even improved...just different. Of course with three or four cars going they never really do get done.

like most have said money, seems like there is never enough and with the amount of cars I have.........

i think its all the above at one time or another the main thing when you are fairly new to restoring any car without someone teaching you like your father or friends that have done it before is research and pictures lots of pictures and asking questions.being in a car club is a great way to get started but its definately everything

Removing all the old undercoating off the bottom side without a rotisserie or lift after the car was painted. It's a dirty, tedious, and labor intensive job with gas, blow torches and heat guns. Better do it with a sand blaster before body work on a rotisserie.

Some times for me its Patience.
Patience waiting for parts.
Paintence waiting for the paint to dry.
Patience to do the job right.
Sometimes I dont have a lot of patience,and have to tell myself to stop.
So ya.....for me its patience.

Oh...Did I mention patience ? :lol:

I would have to say getting everything stripped down to bare metal and the metal work and rust repair done. Especially if your doing it by yourself. Its nice and easy if you have a sand blaster or have the money to have it media blasted. But I think you get more satisfaction out of doing it yourself.

Suspension rebuilds have always been a PITA for me. Removing rusted ball joints and replacing control arm bushings have been major work on every car I`ve rebuilt.

icon_cheers.gif
Finding the extra money to do it and see the

face of my wife when the next packet arrive home
icon_cheers.gif

--------------------------

1. Taking care of the rust
2. Do all the body work
3. See all the money that is floating out of the bank account

I would say it's a toss up on block sanding or waiting for the weather to be good enough to work outside.
And then it's finding the time to do anything productive between shiftwork and family commitments.

I am going to agree with 66Cuda...finishing it is the hardest. I still have a few things to do to get it where I want it. I'm just not motivated in the winter to get em done.

-
Back