What's the WORST car/truck you've owned?

-
1974 or 75 (?) Fiat 128 Sport L Coupe. I had gotten onto to much trouble with my 69 340 4 speed Swinger, so in order to maintain my driving privileges it was out with the Dart And in with the Fiat. We spent more time working on it than driving it. After about 8 months and unknown amount of cash my Dad felt so bad about making me buy that piece of crap that he helped me get a 66 Valiant station wagon. It was a 6 cly 4 speed car that was really cool. Out of all the cars that I had as a young man that's the one that I wish that I had taken care of and kept............ Well one of the ones.:-D

1971 Challenger. I was just out of high school. I thought the Challengers and 'Cudas were the best looking cars on the road. I found this 71 on a local Dodge dealer's lot. It was a very basic low optioned car, 318 auto column shifter, no console. I couldn't go any distance at all at highway speeds without it overheating. I put 48000 miles on this car , and the dealer never did fix it. After 24000 miles, it was out of warranty so I just drove it that way. The brakes were a real Adventure. When coming to a stop, you did not know if it would pull to the left, right, or sometimes straight. The fit and finish wasn't very good either. One day when I was washing it, I ran my hand under the cowl and found a triangular fold of sheet metal that put a gash on my left index finger. The most memorable thing about this car is I lost my virginity in the back seat. Ahhh the memories.

1983 Renault Alliance!! Bought it brand new. Should have known I was in trouble when I had to take back to the dealer to fix the RUST after the first week!! But hey, it was Motor Trends car of the year in 83! Of course,so was the Vega!!

The wifes 1990 GMC PU is the biggest POS I have ever encountered, just put a new trans in today and then the fuel pump decides to give it up and GMC is supposed to be the top of the line PU for GM hahahaha what a crock, I can say this cause I worked for GM for 32 years. On the other hand my 1985 Chevy Silvarado is hands down by far the best vehicle I have ever owned.

2002 Mercury Moutaineer. That trans is a timebomb waiting to happen. This is documented time after time on the web. For some reason it is a "sealed" auto with no dipstick? This is the only car I felt bad for the next owners because I knew it was only a matter of time before another trans would be needed even though it seemed fine when I sold it. We at least sold it cheap.

2001 Honda Insight

runner ups: 1971 MB 250/8 and 1995 Saab 900S Cabriolet.

LOL, we have an '05 Insight. I hated it and refused to even ride in it for about the first year we had it, but now I drive it 4 days a week to work. Can't beat 600 miles on a 10 gallon tank of gas.

My biggest POS was a Geo Tracker my ex wife had when we met. Hate to say it, but I think second was my '88 Dodge Dakota, or the '97 Suburban...too close to call.

1980 Subaru 4X4 Hatchback. It was my first new car when I was a kid and I hated every %$#@*^% day of the 3 yrs. I owned it. I still don't know why I bought the damn thing in the first place. Aside from the total lack of power and the shitty ride, there were oil leaks.... and the stalling....and then the fuse box melted.... twice. The second time I let it burn.

As I watched it turn into a fireball I said to myself "Good riddance". I received a recall letter 2 months after the BBQ from Subaru about the fuse box issue. I just forwarded it to my insurance company. :-D

Amazing how years later what a popular car Subaru became from that wretched piece of ****....
:angry7:

Mine was a Plymouth Unreliant, don't remember what year - I guess I've blocked all the bad memories out...
It was a POS from the get go and spent more time at the shop than in our driveway. It was the only car I traded in and was upside down with. Replaced it with a Buick Century which was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
C

Suckiest ever was a ford ranger, you could take out the oil dipstick, fire it up and it would shoot oil out the dipstick tube over the fender... Uh little BLOW BY maybe??? My dad gave it to me, I sent it to the crusher...

The worst 40 days of my life was in 1977 while owning a 71 TR6. Underhood wiring burnt up because some idiot disconnected a piece of emission eouipment and left it to short out, smoke would roll up through the floorboards from the overdrive and the coup d'gras was dropping a half shaft in downdown Seattle during rush hour.
Told the tow truck driver to deliver it back to the dealer and called the dealer to tell them where to park it.

The worst 40 days of my life was in 1977 while owning a 71 TR6. Underhood wiring burnt up because some idiot disconnected a piece of emission eouipment and left it to short out, smoke would roll up through the floorboards from the overdrive and the coup d'gras was dropping a half shaft in downdown Seattle during rush hour.
Told the tow truck driver to deliver it back to the dealer and called the dealer to tell them where to park it.
The biggest scare I`ve ever had in my life was in a TR6, hitchhikeing cause of the previous mentioned 55 chev stuck in first. That sob driver was going 70+ mph around curvey mountain roads, that to this day I take @ no more than 45. Oh yeah, this is the same guy who seen me comeing and offered to trade his 67 R-10 for my 55:bootysha:

1978 Pinto:-D
Actually my first nice car was a cherry 74 pinto, started smokeing 2 weeks after I bought it. Damn used car salesmen:angry7: Had about 93-K miles on it, Had the head rebuilt and it give me 240 -K miles of service, imagine that:-D it liked it`s oil though:angry7:

87 Diplomat ex-cop car. The State Police sure got their moneys worth out of that thing, as everything was worn out.

Wife's 85 Ford Tempo was a close second.

Oddly, my last TR-6 was one of the most reliable cars I've had (once I undid most of the previous owners "repairs").

Hopefully the neon guys wont hate me for this but my worse car was a Dodge Neon(Pee-On as I called it)Dont remember the year but I think I put 3 head gaskets in that damn thing,2 timing belts,the front end was crap,the ECM went out 2 times.Finally another head gasket blew and I was on the highway and i said screw up,I continued to drive it until it was gushing coolant ,blowing white smoke everywhere,until finally the engine just died.I called a friend to pick us up and he asked what about the car?I told him the hell with that car and just left it there.Finally after 3 days I recieved a visit from the state patrol telling me the car was impounded I told them to keep it,lol

Man, you mean I have to pick just one? Okay, I guess I could just lump all the GM FWD V6 shitboxes I've owned together- in the friggin crusher, preferably. The first was an Olds Cutlass Ciera I got from the local used car dealer (MISTAKE) after my '70 Dart was T-boned. Great car, right? Working seatbelts! FM radio! A functioning heater! So much luxury! Effin tranny on that car exploded (no, not a metaphor) after about 3 weeks. A month after that, a camshaft **** the bed.. I told the towtruck guy where the dealer lot was and never saw it again. Next experience along these lines was an '82 Buick Century. Threw a rod after a month. Should have learned my lesson right there, but these cars were everywhere, and cheap, so I've owned like 8 of the damn things. At least the first two GM products did me the honor of having massive mechanical failures- pretty much every one after that did the "runs great/dies for no reason/won't start/starts right up an hour,day,week later/runs great/dies for no reason etc" weird untraceable electrical fault crap. In my family this is known as "Buick's Disease". Maybe if the ECU wasn't so busy regulating the power-assisted 3-way memory digital cupholders and crap like that, GM could design a car that would actually run.

A stock motored '79 Chevy Luv truck. I think that thing leaked more oil than it used in gas.

Mine was a Plymouth Unreliant, don't remember what year - I guess I've blocked all the bad memories out...
It was a POS from the get go and spent more time at the shop than in our driveway. It was the only car I traded in and was upside down with. Replaced it with a Buick Century which was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
C

That's funny you say that, I had an 88 Dodge Aries and it was one of the best cars I had. I paid $900 for it with 45K on it. Little to no maintanance for 5 straight years, I wracked up close to 250K on it. Took it through mud bogs, drove it out in the woods, in the bush, took it off jumps at high speeds, did donuts in the gravel parking lot, rallied it hard. Sold it for $500 hahaha.
No matter how hard I beat on that car, it would still fire up the next morning and get me to where I needed to go.
Got a ton of action in that back seat too.

I have been lucky so far and have had nothing but good reliable cars and trucks. But I am still young so I am sure there will be a turd in my future.

I owned a '91 BMW 318is and the damn thing just wouldn't work. After it got to running temperature, it forgot how to idle, idle would fluctuate randomly, if I gave it ANY gas it went right up to 2000rpm, then it would die. It had no heat when I drove above 60km/h, the fuel gauge would dance on the highway (My GF took a video of it going really quickly between 1/4 - 3/4 - full - Empty and back). I bought it for $4k, sunk $1k into it, and finally gave up, waited til it was warm, and sold it for $3k. I hated that car. Also the 2nd gear synchro was going, and you couldn't use 2nd gear unless the car was warmed up or it was warm outside.

86 ford ranger v6 84 pont. fiero luckily they were both free

1984 Nissan Pulsar aka "the dixie cup" wherein I discovered the "Nissan Uncertainty Principal": under the hood either you can see it OR you can reach it, but you can NEVER do both.

Died with only 50K on it and everything made noise except the horn. -LY

1BadDodge71:

I had a 97 Neon that was a gem until the engine block cracked for no apparent reason at 97k miles. I was SO torqued-off when I saw the crappy construction of the block I swore I'd never buy another Chrysler again. Pitty, it was a fine car otherwise.

-
Back