what's this a body worth

-

richard cushing

Reaction score
ok guys I'm a b body guy I'm looking at a 70 dodge dart swinger that needs a total restoration. the car is a 70 340 swinger 4 speed the original 340 is gone but the manifolds,air cleaner matching numbers 4 speed is in the trunk and it don't have the fender tag but it does have a perfect build sheet. I'm trying to figure out what its worth. thanks

20181007_163550.jpg

When everything is said and done, you'll have at least 50k into that car for a total resto...so for the amount of work and investment needed, I wouldn't pay over $3500...and that's probably being generous.

$2500 tops. Your only buying sheet metal at this point with the motor gone.

Depends on condition, clean title, etc. From your photo about $2500.00 65'

That car could be ugly underneath when you pull it out of that dirt :(

Last edited:
Hope not but check first. The rocker doesn't look to bad but it would be nice if you could see the frame front and back. Does it have all of the interior? Are those parts good? You may have something IF the engine is the only thing missing.

Last edited:
car has perfect floors and frame rails its super clean underneath and the interior is mint besides the bottom of the bench seat has a rip in it a set of quarters and its on its way to being a nice car

Does it have a title or transferable paperwork.

In some states now a days, It could be the most restorable car ever but with no title or any paperwork, it's a parts car.

So that is one of the first questions I would ask when trying to evaluate what a project car is worth.

Are you going to do a lot of the work yourself? Or source it out?
P.S. Do you know what his asking price is?

Ok...Only you know what your capable of...so If it's within your skill range and you believe that it's a worthwhile project the go for it. Do you know what he's asking for it

were trying to come up with a price it has all the 4 speed parts, the air cleaner and exhaust manifolds there is nothing missing besides the short block and fender tag

Throw out a price and I'm sure he'll counter...eventually you'll find a middle ground that you both may be comfortable with. If you're both worlds apart and he has unreasonable expectations then throw out your final offer and a phone number and walk away...

I'd say 3500 as well.
Since it does not have the original engine, I would think $2500-3500 range. You say it is pretty solid
except for lower 1/4's and the interior is decent. For a project probably a pretty good deal. Missing
the original engine would not make it worth as much from a collectors stand point. I myself think
"matching numbers", etc. is over rated.

Since it does not have the original engine, I would think $2500-3500 range. You say it is pretty solid
except for lower 1/4's and the interior is decent. For a project probably a pretty good deal. Missing
the original engine would not make it worth as much from a collectors stand point. I myself think
"matching numbers", etc. is over rated.

Missing the engine increases the value.........in the fact that is now just a car, not a "collectible"! Don't have to worry about the purist, perfection, correct, yada, yada, yada! :)

Hey Rick - check the frame rails in the back by the spring hangers. Did you look at the underside of the hood? I believe the block is a 318. Someone needs to save that car. I'm tired of seeing it under the tarp, dying from the moisture.

(Step on soap box)
My opinion is the car is worth about $2k - if you parted it out, that is all the parts will bring you IF you can sell them in one afternoon. After that, it is costing you money.
Restore the car because it connects to you or walk away for the next person.
If you decide you want the challenge- then get the guy to lift it up for you and look at the rails and rockers- that is the toughest part of restoration.
Also, can the block be had or is it long gone. Matching numbers is great but only if you do a 100% restoration. If not... its just a 2 door car at this point
because the 4 speed is fun but if you swap in a newer engine and trans with today's sheet metal you can make it anything you want easily.

Buy it because you love the rebuilding process or the final product... not because it has value after dumping in a lot of money and time.
I am happy you reached out to this board to ask the value. Because of all the TV auctions and shows lately the values are so crazy (in theory) but be realistic and trust your gut.
Keep us posted!
Good luck,
Joe
(Off soap box)

I laugh at the people who tell people it's going to cost 7.2 million dollars to restore a car when all they have done is write checks to someone and get ripped off by supposed restoration shops. especially when they are simply looking at a picture , have no clue on the actual condition of a car, and have no idea what kind of experience or abilities the potential owner has. it's like they are just trying to scare them away from buying a car. STFU

I laugh at the people who tell people it's going to cost 7.2 million dollars to restore a car when all they have done is write checks to someone and get ripped off by supposed restoration shops. especially when they are simply looking at a picture , have no clue on the actual condition of a car, and have no idea what kind of experience or abilities the potential owner has. it's like they are just trying to scare them away from buying a car. STFU

With all due respect, the OP asked a question and the members are doing their best to give their honest answers...do you have something to contribute the the Op's question or are you just here to vent. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to the OP's question then maybe you should heed your own advice.

Well by looking at one pic, 2500 is the max tops would not go any higher. I would offer 1500 and play the game from there, if as you said the interior is good frame rails good, but needed quarters, then it starts getting expensive. This would make a good flip, buy a 318 on the cheap, piece it together, clean it up, and drive it awhile, if you like the ride, fix it up. If not, you may be able to double your money, it runs and have title in hand, I would ask between 4500 to 5000 for it all day long.......easy.

-
Back