What's this all about? Dual pickup electronic distributor?

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but I never saw or heard of a dual pickup electronic distributor before. No vacuum advance. Anybody know what this is about?
I bought a box full of ignition parts from a guy and this was in it.

Cley
20210625_143200.jpg

I remember that a 1982 Dodge 1/2 ton 225-6 Pick Up that I once owned had a dual pick up dizzy. It also had one of those air cleaner mounted ignition computer.

Was told it's for a big block. The drive shaft is about 1/4" longer than a small block distributor.

Cley

Dual pickup is a trick setup. If you're on the street, be sure to add vacuum advance.

You can time those two pickups independent of one another. Time one for nitrous, one not, and set them up to switch when you need it.

Or set one up for race gas, one for trash gas, with a toggle switch for whatever is in the tank.

Or set one up to send power to a coil hooked to your big toe, and use a mercury switch attached to your eyeglass frames, so it kicks on if you nod off while driving.

What you CAN'T do is change the advance curves since those are set in the mechanisms of the distributor, so keep that in mind.

Lean burn. They don't have vacuum OR mechanical advance. One pickup is a start pickup and one is a run pickup. It's a doorstop.

My 88 D350 Ram came with the dual pickup. One day it quit running. Disconnected one side,started right up and got me home.Mine has vacuum advance.

I use the shafts for locked out ones, bout all they are good for to me. I dont deal with them.

My 88 D350 Ram came with the dual pickup. One day it quit running. Disconnected one side,started right up and got me home.Mine has vacuum advance.

I've never seen one like that. I wonder if they made a version with vacuum and mechanical advance?

I have seen both with and without vac. The non vac are later versions. The Vac adv pllate covers are great to hoard also. Think I put one one your slant I did if I remember right.

Thanks for the replies! Good thing is that I bought the lot of parts for other things and not this distributor!

Cley

I never get a demand for them. I have a few nos just gathering dust also. Prob die with them terrible system in its day and hard to get the right ecu's for them today but some love them!

To be honest with you I will have to say that it is mechanical too.I ain't climbing in the engine compartment to look.
The year 1988 for Dodge trucks over 8500 gvw still had a carb, NO cats and no computer.
I got in a pissin' contest with slantsixdan about this long ago.He said there was no such thing. But here I got one.

To be honest with you I will have to say that it is mechanical too.I ain't climbing in the engine compartment to look.
The year 1988 for Dodge trucks over 8500 gvw still had a carb, NO cats and no computer.
I got in a pissin' contest with slantsixdan about this long ago.He said there was no such thing. But here I got one.

I know better than to argue about Mopar stuff. When you say "they never made it", almost every time without fail, one pops up.

LOL Ma Mopar has a ton of stuff that has absolutely not make it to the books.

if its longer than the small block it is probably a 440 lean burn unit.
NOPE its's a 400 lean burn.
One thing it might be good for is an EFI setup
Yes it would work fine for that if you use the optional spark control some systems offer, like Mega Squirt or Holley, not sure which makes all offer spark control. In this case it becomes the Cam P Sensor.

No such thing as Junk MOPAR stuff. What ever it was it can be used for something else if you have the smarts to make it work. I used to hoard stuff like this, I used a hoarded distrib to rebuild another that had a bent shaft and make it work because NO ONE else in Bakersfield was smart enough to see the bent shaft. Easy $100 repair for a free part.

NOPE its's a 400 lean burn.

Yes it would work fine for that if you use the optional spark control some systems offer, like Mega Squirt or Holley, not sure which makes all offer spark control. In this case it becomes the Cam P Sensor.

IF its longer than a small block its the 440, quick google search will find this.

Mopar LA engine – 3.875”
Mopar B engine – 3.5″
Mopar RB engine – 4″

-
Back