• cummins

Votes: 82 83.7%
  • power stroke

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • duramax

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
-
Love the old Detroit Diesels, cant beat that sound! They say Detroits run on 2 things revs and hatered!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3gZGUInd4"]Detroit Diesel 453T in 48 Diamond-T - YouTube[/ame]

Love the old Detroit Diesels, cant beat that sound! They say Detroits run on 2 things revs and hatered!

Detroit Diesel 453T in 48 Diamond-T - YouTube

There's an old saying in the (old) trucker's circles.

How do you drive a Detroit? First thing in the morning you open the door, place your hand on the door edge, and slam the door on your fingers. That way you're pissed off all day.

Huhh what you say she has a twin Mike:D? Haha she's easy to look at and my truck would be no match against her's then.
She has a set of twins but it's not a sister or brother :D then she also has twin turbo's :smilebox:

i have an 04.5 dodge ram 3500 and it currently has 230,000 and still runs like a champ

Lot of truck right there :D thus the Cummins for my choice

Cummins LongBed MegaCab

:glasses7::glasses7: ha :blackeye: yep allot of truck :D

Yeah, they're called Caterpillars.
Detroit ain't it :-k

I voted Cummins, too, but it would be interesting to see this poll taken on an "diesel forum" instead of a MoPar forum.

...btw, I have 2 Cummins pick ups. ;)

I think the Cummins sounds great. Id take a 6BT 12 valve cummins with mechanical fuel injection over any of the newer ones. You can run biodiesel in these with no ill effects. Plus with an un corked exhaust on a standard shift one they just sound bad a$$.

Power stroke doesnt sound good at all to me. Sounds like a coffee can full of rocks shaking around at idle, and i wouldent give ya a dime for the GM Izusu sourced duramax.

well I agree about the 6.0 ford :tard:....but the 7.3 ford is a good engine ...I have had one around and no problems at 163,000 miles :D

One my wife drove (F-550 ramp truck) was totalled with a bit more than 930,000 miles. Original turbo and three original injectors.

I think the Cummins sounds great. Id take a 6BT 12 valve cummins with mechanical fuel injection over any of the newer ones. You can run biodiesel in these with no ill effects. Plus with an un corked exhaust on a standard shift one they just sound bad a$$.

Power stroke doesnt sound good at all to me. Sounds like a coffee can full of rocks shaking around at idle, and i wouldent give ya a dime for the GM Izusu sourced duramax.

The D-max isn't BAD, I just don't like the trucks they come in!

You couldn't pay me to own a powerjoke. They're noisy and annoying. Like rani said, sounds like valve train that falling apart. The dura max is ok, but it's too quiet. Cummins for me. My next dodge truck will be an 87-97 cummins 4x4. No gutless 24 valve for me.

Not anymore. Cat left the on-road engine market after 2007. The Freightliner I drive has one of their last on-road engines (a 250HP C7).

Umm... not anymore? There's still plenty of Cats around.

That's like saying that because no new slants are being built you can't have one "anymore."

And the question I responded to was, "are there any other diesels than Cummins?" Didn't say anything about "on-road."

Ive bought worn out,beat,89-93 12 valves with 300-500,000 miles on them and drove them 2500 miles east with full loads in the bed and getting no less than 16 mpg.Only one failure and it was a flat tire so it don't count.Guys in PA are like rabid dogs to get their hands on them.
I bought a new 03 Dually Dodge,last year before drive by wire(I think) put 100,000 miles on it and when I mentioned that I was going to sale,,the words barely left my mouth and it was sold during a race at the Strip.A fist fight almost broke out between two guys pitted next to each other.
So My vote is Hummin' Cummins for sure.

Stop it, Robert. lol

No.

It's one of the reason's the 3406 is a hot commodity for salvage yards. The Cats are strong engines and people know it. One of the reasons a lot of smaller companies are ordering glider kits. They can buy a new truck, but because it's a "kit" they can drop the older engines in 'em and by-pass the EPA regulations on diesels.

Not anymore. Cat left the on-road engine market after 2007. The Freightliner I drive has one of their last on-road engines (a 250HP C7).

They left for a few years, however not only do they make an onroad engine they make a complete onroad vocational class 8 truck:

http://drivecat.com/engines

http://drivecat.com/overview

Mind you , not that any of these are pick-up engines with CAT, but wanted to point out they are still in the onroad applications. One of the biggest problems for CAT was most heavy duty truck manufacturers now a days make their own engines and will only sell their own engines with their trucks and it left CAT with out a market to have their engines available in, their fix is now their own truck.

Ive bought worn out,beat,89-93 12 valves with 300-500,000 miles on them and drove them 2500 miles east with full loads in the bed and getting no less than 16 mpg.Only one failure and it was a flat tire so it don't count.Guys in PA are like rabid dogs to get their hands on them.
I bought a new 03 Dually Dodge,last year before drive by wire(I think) put 100,000 miles on it and when I mentioned that I was going to sale,,the words barely left my mouth and it was sold during a race at the Strip.A fist fight almost broke out between two guys pitted next to each other.
So My vote is Hummin' Cummins for sure.

The Cummins 5.9 went DBW for 1998.5, with the 24-valve ISB. It was the LAST drive-by-wire diesel pickup...Ford went DBW in 1994.5, GM in 1994.

They left for a few years, however not only do they make an onroad engine they make a complete onroad vocational class 8 truck:

http://drivecat.com/engines

http://drivecat.com/overview

Mind you , not that any of these are pick-up engines with CAT, but wanted to point out they are still in the onroad applications. One of the biggest problems for CAT was most heavy duty truck manufacturers now a days make their own engines and will only sell their own engines with their trucks and it left CAT with out a market to have their engines available in, their fix is now their own truck.

They top out at 475HP? That's IT? Wow...that's pretty weak today!

No.

It's one of the reason's the 3406 is a hot commodity for salvage yards. The Cats are strong engines and people know it. One of the reasons a lot of smaller companies are ordering glider kits. They can buy a new truck, but because it's a "kit" they can drop the older engines in 'em and by-pass the EPA regulations on diesels.

Robert, I agree with you. I had a fleet of 40 Internationals with DT3406's with Allison Auto transmission in them for city delivery trucks. I liked them, the drivers loved them, and even the mechanics in our shop liked them. We'd do an inframe at about 400,000, and a complete rebuilt at 750,000 ( usually just a swap at that point, with a rebuilt from a prior swap).

As far as a medium duty worker, the 3406 was damn hard to beat.

[ame]http://youtu.be/vPAtNkuA9Gg[/ame]

What they don't bring up is at the 600hp level it makes over 2000 foot pounds of torque.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-cssL4Azs&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL6A4A234AAC7D44F3"]Inside Cummins: This is CMEP (Columbus MidRange Engine Plant) - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back