• duramax

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
late last night and very early this morning I was out by the farm and right now they are moving cows around because the season change the animals are shifting around and some them are going to another farm 10 miles from here and going to different places and some are being brought in.

well I was with a relative and I was in the shed and I can hear a truck approaching ....and I made the comment to my relative that its a dodge truck.......he said how did you know its a dodge when you cant see it.

and I said easy ...just pay attention to the sound and all three of big three diesels make sounds really unique from each other. around here its always one of the big three ...Ford, dodge or chevy, with the ford power stroke being the most common, the newer fords are not much in use around here ...mostly older ford with the power stroke

so I went outside on a challenge and closed my eyes and as i heard the trucks coming I would tell my relative which one it was...

HA I got them all right.

to me its very obvious.....the ford has a higher tone to it ...almost sounds like a loose valvetrain.
the dodge has a much lower growl to it and when it revs up, it sounds like a six cylinder ....which it is.

the chevy is a lot quieter at idle and more of an animated sound to it.....

I can hear the differences clear as day in these youtube videos ....

for me I prefer the sound of the ford ...I like to listen to the ford power strokes when they are 5 speeds....and my least favorite is the duramax.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlKaAnImboM"]2001 Dodge Cummins Straight Pipe - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZNEO2LIEGU"]1996 ford f350 7.3 powerstroke diesel - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czJ2Qs-y_pA"]Duramax vs Tree - YouTube[/ame]

I like these.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWV-gZ5cREE"]871 Detroit Diesel - YouTube[/ame]

I make injector flow bench electronics for 3 different Ford common rail engines. The 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4. Each uses a different means of injector control. As an engineer, I personally think Ford engineering is poor. The good part, is it gives me a job, making things better. The testing of the injectors is very noisy. They make enough nasty noise, I cannot think at all. I do all the code and hardware development offsite.

I love the smooth sound of the Perkins engine in my farm tractor. I have good creative thoughts when bush hogging, and my dog likes it too.

i've towed stuff with a ram 2500 with cummins deisel and you cant even tell there is anything back there lol

Ever seen one "run away"?.......jump to minute 1:30.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRaqgab0_w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRaqgab0_w[/ame]

Perkins. Speaking of perkins back in the 70's a local guy put one in a f250 and actually got the thing on the road but it was a dog.

i have owned a cummins in my 2006 2500. that motor never failed. freinds with their fords 6.0 litter have had nothing but problems. the duramax sounds like a gas engine. so cummins it is

Detroit Diesel 16 (aka DD16) has my vote.
Small diesel, Duramax gets my vote.

The Ford 6.0 have an ON, soleloid, and an OFF solenoid. It doubles the problems, and the FICM modules fail like crazy. There is a huge rebuild business for the modules.

well I agree about the 6.0 ford :tard:....but the 7.3 ford is a good engine ...I have had one around and no problems at 163,000 miles :D

I love the 7.3 IDI (no turbo) in my 90 f250 shop truck. Not the fasted truck on the planet, but it gets over 20 on the highway, and it's reliable as a brick.

I always liked the Mitsubishi 4D55 / 4D56 Turbo Diesels that were a very rare (less than 1%) option on the Dodge D50's

They used Adjustable Roller Rockers, An Overhead Cam, A Bosch VE41 Injection Pump (same thing as the VE44 used on the Cummins, some slight exterior differences and more options than the 44), and a 4,500 RPM Governor Spring. The little mitsu diesels have twice the rpm band of most other diesels. Though they sounded downright scary above 3,500 rpm (any diesel sounds scary when you spin them that high)

Had one of them in my D50 years ago, really miss that little 4D56T (Intercooled 2.5L Turbo Diesel). One of these days I wouldn't mind picking up a 4M40 or 4M41 Intercooled Turbo Diesel to put in it.

I like my 95 F250 7.3 Powerstroke.

If the engine ever died, I'd likely find a way to stuff a cummins in there!

The 6.ohhhhhhhhhhhs are terrible! You couldn't pay me to take any of the post 7.3 engines.

I have a 92 250 2wd diesel with 365k on it ,I admit that I did have to reseal the injector pump 200k due to the crappy fuel (loss of sulfur in it) with no lube in it, that was my fault for forgetting about the fuel and it was sortof leaky when I got it @ 180k. I drive the heck out of it and treat it BAD. no problem other than the injector pump so far. my son inlaw has rebuilt his late model 7.3 ford completely with less than 200k on it.

and my last trip to Michigan I averaged 23.3 MPG going up and 20.3 coming back with a loaded 17ft trailer loaded.

Just one engine out of em all? Jeez that's hard. but out of the 3 families listed, I'd take a Cummins. I honestly have thought of shoving a 4BT in a Dart. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the newer stuff. I like all the old weird stuff and the 12v 6BT. The new Cummins are cool, but new stuff doesn't strike my interest, diesel or gas.

what kind of trucks did those go in? almost sounds like a city bus

ALL KINDA stuff. lol I've seen a wood chipper with one on it. Yeah. a V871 Detroit. That chipper was a MAN too. lol

None of the new light truck diesels capture my imagination. They are pushing the limits of everything to the point they are not as reliable. Give me an old 12v Cummins anyway over the current offerings. Better mileage, easier on the rest of the truck, and pull anything the truck can handle.

I voted for cummins. I am on my third truck with a cummins engine. They are, in my opinion, the best engine one can get in a light truck.

I vote for...7.3, But then again I'm biased :D
And they know when I'm home,
cummins sound like Tuba's :blackeye:

LOL! 238 Detroit, Haven't heard that sound in many many years, Used to call them "Pissed off chain saws". Had to rev the bejeez's out of them in the GMC Jimmy's

407617595.jpg

Those detroits are where we get 671 and 871 blowers from, right? 6 cyl 71cuin each, etc...

-
Back