• cummins

Votes: 82 83.7%
  • power stroke

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • duramax

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
-
Ive bought worn out,beat,89-93 12 valves with 300-500,000 miles on them and drove them 2500 miles east with full loads in the bed and getting no less than 16 mpg.Only one failure and it was a flat tire so it don't count.Guys in PA are like rabid dogs to get their hands on them.
I bought a new 03 Dually Dodge,last year before drive by wire(I think) put 100,000 miles on it and when I mentioned that I was going to sale,,the words barely left my mouth and it was sold during a race at the Strip.A fist fight almost broke out between two guys pitted next to each other.
So My vote is Hummin' Cummins for sure.

Yeah they sell like gold here. Took one ride in a Cummins, Cummins fan for life.

Cummins is the only option. The 5.9 liter six was designed from the get go for a life of 500k miles. This motor was introduced in 1984 and it's a proven design. 40% less moving parts inside than those off brand diesels. Have you ever seen a Powerjoke or a Duramax with 800k miles on them? There are even Cummins engines with over 1 million documented miles.

The 12 valve is a killer engine. You can add 30-40 horsepower in less than a half hour by tinkering with the fuel plate. Lots of free power to be added. Simple injection pump (p7100) that really doesn't give much if any trouble whatsoever. Just make sure the killer dowl pin issue has been fixed behind the timing chain cover.

I also love the 24 valve. It has a vp44 Bosch injection pump. The vp44 pump is computer controlled. The stock lift pumps are terrible unreliable so get a good one so that it doesn't take out the expensive injection pump. You can also add a programmer and add stupid levels of hp and torque. Power at the push of a button. The engine with proper care is everybit as reliable as the 12v. I love them both.

Somebody said "gutless 24v"...that is hilarious.
12v 160hp 400ft pounds
24v 5.9 235 hp and 460 foot pounds of torque.
75 hp and 60 foot pounds of torque. Yep ...gutless.
H.O 24v 5.9??? 245hp and 505 foot pounds.

Dad has a 24v from 2001.5. It has gotten low 17's to 18 ish mpg pulling a trailer. Highway 22. My friends PowerStroke gets 14.

I know that lots of the newer Duramax trucks have injector issues. When they go out, the dealer fix is around $5k.

Cat engines are good but in the lighter diesel truck range, "if you ain't got a Cummins, you ain't got s**t!!"

As I have said before I am a Cummins fan. However I just found this video I remembered of a Detroit. Listen to that thing roar. Full throttle up a hill with a full silage wagon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbtWoOKbDMk"]Oliver 1950 GM 4-53 Detroit Chopping Silage - YouTube[/ame]

7.3 Navistar IDI for me. Don't care if it is in a Ford or cornbinder chassis. Rock solid engine although I'm not exactly in love with the E4OD behind it in my 89 E350 bus.

5.9 12V Cummins is also a great engine. Not only found in Dodge pickups of course. Lots of ag equipment used them as well as medium sized Ford trucks like the school bus chassis.

This is my first try at a post so bear with me.
Ihave an early Dodge with 5.9 Cummins that I Really love!
Minimal computer to gum things up.
Gets constant 28 mpg(imperial gallons) running empty with few maintenance issues.
2 wheel drive, 5spd manual. That's about 22 1/2 U.S.

Cummins is the only option. The 5.9 liter six was designed from the get go for a life of 500k miles. This motor was introduced in 1984 and it's a proven design. 40% less moving parts inside than those off brand diesels. Have you ever seen a Powerjoke or a Duramax with 800k miles on them? There are even Cummins engines with over 1 million documented miles.

Yes. There was a boat hauler on Cape Cod who had 1,000,000 miles on a 1995 F-350 dually. My wife drove an F-550 rollback...when totalled, it had 930,000 miles. 400,000+ on a 7.3 PSD wrecker is COMMON!

Also note: International installed (and warrantied!) the T444E (what they called the 7.3) in medium-duty trucks, school buses, 10-wheelers, and even semi tractors!

89 Cummins 4x4, 5-speed with 3.54's. Love the truck. It is good and reliable, and the WORST mileage I have seen is 16 MPG-towing. I don't get the 25 MPG other owners claim, but 20 MPG is pretty easy. Stock pump, and a BHAF and 4" exhaust. Stock tires and decent driving habits.

The weird thing is that it gets the same or slightly better mileage than my DD, but my DD is quiet, smooth and so I use it most of the time.

The Cummins is the ONE vehicle that I won't sell. Every toy will go before it does.

7.3 Navistar IDI for me. Don't care if it is in a Ford or cornbinder chassis. Rock solid engine although I'm not exactly in love with the E4OD behind it in my 89 E350 bus.

5.9 12V Cummins is also a great engine. Not only found in Dodge pickups of course. Lots of ag equipment used them as well as medium sized Ford trucks like the school bus chassis.

My uncle uses an E350 Ambulance (conversion van) with a 7.3L to transport mail to post offices.

That 7.3L has over 500,000 miles on it now (almost all of those miles put on by him) It's not exactly a powerhouse/torque monster, when compared to a Cummins 6BT (even when it had low miles), but it does do a great job.

The only problems he's had, is the Dana 60 rear end had to be rebuilt twice, the Flexplate broke at 400k (we replaced the Rear Main Seal at the same time), and it likes to eat Vacuum Pumps like candy, about 3 or so a year. At 500k+ it is definitely nearing the end of its life, the motor is just plain wore out.

In 2007 or so, I passed up a chance to buy a 1997 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins 6BT, NV4500 5-Speed, Standard Cab / Long Bed, 5th Wheel Hitch, Trailer Brake Controller, Rust Free, Mint condition paint, 148k miles and it had been serviced at my family's shop from day one (So I knew the truck like the back of my hand). The seller was offering it to me for $3,000 (which is the average going rate on a nice cummins in my area), at the time I already had one Dodge Diesel and wasn't looking for another one.

Yes. There was a boat hauler on Cape Cod who had 1,000,000 miles on a 1995 F-350 dually. My wife drove an F-550 rollback...when totalled, it had 930,000 miles. 400,000+ on a 7.3 PSD wrecker is COMMON!

Also note: International installed (and warrantied!) the T444E (what they called the 7.3) in medium-duty trucks, school buses, 10-wheelers, and even semi tractors!

There may be a few and the 7.3 is far better than the 6.0 in the newer Fords which have a plethora of problems. I like the power and reliability of the Cummins. Dad has an '01 and I have a '92. Wouldn't trade either for two of the Gm or Ford offerings.

My buddy just got a Powerstroke 1995 (7.3) with only 28k miles on it. Mpg isn't that great but it has more power than I thought it would.

There is a company by the name of "Groome Shuttle". The use E350 Extended Passenger vans that are all Diesels. They have been using them for decades. They put a ton of miles on them, and according to one of the operations officers, they would switch to another brand of type unless forced. I suppose that time is coming with Ford discontinuing the E-series vans after over a 50 year run, and only 3 major remodels and 4 body styles.
There must be a reason a company like Groome Shuttle", that depends on their vans being efficient locked into Ford Diesel vans so steadfastly.

...2 decades of continues operation with hundreds (probably thousands) of Ford E vans. Must me something to it.

I'm going against the grain here but I drive a 2009 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax for a tow vehicle. It is a nice truck and has never let me down. Fact is I prefer to drive it on long trips over my wife's 2009 Dodge Journey.

I'm going against the grain here but I drive a 2009 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax for a tow vehicle. It is a nice truck and has never let me down. Fact is I prefer to drive it on long trips over my wife's 2009 Dodge Journey.

I have 2 Ram diesel pick ups and my daily driver is a GMC Sierra.

We started out looking for a wrecked cummins to put into our car hauler

4-03-06030.jpg

http://ramchargercentral.com/diesel-talk/1973-cummins-hauler/

found a wrecked 92 in Ky,with an automatic trans.
but then decided a standard trans would be better for the hauler

found a deal on 3 trucks,( all 5-speed trans) been sitting many years, all needed work/repairs
bought them figure why not, would have many parts

034.jpg

the gray one on the trailer we stripped to put into the car hauler
the white one we restored for a farm truck

001-1.jpg

http://ramchargercentral.com/diesel-talk/looks-like-a-different-truck/msg1675175/#msg1675175

the red one got it running, only needs a seal kit for the injection pump

-
Back