Wheel adapters?

-

Tony Cabler

Reaction score
What are the stock lug dimentions of a 64 Barracuda? Are they 5 x 4? and do adapters work to change them to a 5 x 4.5?

I had a friend use adapters on his Torino to put modern Mustang cobra wheels on it. Same bolt pattern, different offset and center bore was the reason. He had constant issues with his wheels working themselves loose. The adapters would work loose from the his and the wheels would work loose from the adapters.

I don't know if the aluminum was too soft or if the studs were stretching. But that was enough to scare me away from them.

I know supposedly "modern safe" adapters are made, but I've never liked using wheel adapters.

A '64 Barracuda is 5 on 4 but they are 7/16" studs whereas the 5 on 4 1/2" are 1/2" studs. Will your adapter compensate for that?

Just temporary, till I can get new rear axles and front ball joint bushings or newer A arms for my disc brake rotors.
I said the same thing at about 17 years old. I then watched one of my front wheels bounce down the road as I grinded to a stop on my brake drum.

Please, please, if you are doing this, get a BILLET set of the hubcentric versions. The cast aluminum ones are typically not hubcentric and they "walk" themselves loose. It's much more important to be hubcentric than wheel centric, but both are good.

I would advise against it and put the $ toward your other upgrades, but devils advocate, I HAVE been ok with billet/hubcentric versions on my late model truck/jeep.

Best of luck either way.

Buy good billet adapters, if you're comfortable with adapters. I've never trusted the cast stuff...even spacers.

A '64 Barracuda is 5 on 4 but they are 7/16" studs whereas the 5 on 4 1/2" are 1/2" studs. Will your adapter compensate for that?
Yep, you'll need 10 of 1/2 lug nuts and a different tire tool.

-
Back