wheel bearing stuck need help...

-

Nappa82

Reaction score
Driver side wheel bearing stuck. I blew it out on the road but cannot get it off the spindle. I have used hammers I have tried prying I took the tire off to try and get off and it will not come off. Here is a picture

20130422_115630_zpsfe9cefd5.jpg

If anyone has advice please feel free to let me know. I am really stuck and need to get to work in the morning. Thanks.

225 slant 6 1971 dodge demon Nine Inch drums.

Take the wheel off, back off the brake shoes and then try pulling the drum assembly. If the drum is grooved the brake shoes could be holding everything in place. If that fails try a bigger hammer.

you could go get some 1/2" coupling nuts and then you would have something to attach to for a puller. most auto parts stores will rent you a puller if you dont have one. i think a harmonic balancer puller would get the job done. i have found that if you put some pressure on it with the puller then give it a couple smacks with a dead blow hammer it will let go.

It is drum brakes. I have taken the wheel of have also taken the drum off but the hub is really stuck due to the bearing. I will try and get to the auto parts store and get a big puller. I will look into heat as well. Just don't have a torch or anything to use to heat it up.

Take a sharp chisel break a piece of the race so that you can take the rollers out. Then slide the drum off.

It is drum brakes. I have taken the wheel of have also taken the drum off but the hub is really stuck due to the bearing. I will try and get to the auto parts store and get a big puller. I will look into heat as well. Just don't have a torch or anything to use to heat it up.

You will most likely need a new spindle because it is mostl likely gaulded together or will be damaged to the point that it won't be safe to use of you get it off..

you could also try to break a piece off of the inner flange with a good punch and hammer then fish out some bearing rollers it will come off then. then you can work on separating it from the spindle.

Take a sharp chisel break a piece of the race so that you can take the rollers out. Then slide the drum off.

you could also try to break a piece off of the inner flange with a good punch and hammer then fish out some bearing rollers it will come off then. then you can work on separating it from the spindle.

wrjjol.jpg

Most likely the bearing race is now welded to the spindle, at least partially.

You "might" get it off with a proper hub puller, but good luck finding one, unless you can fabricate one. You need the type used for tapered rear axles, like old Fords, IHC Scouts, pickups, Jeeps, AMC and Mopars up through 64

ho4.jpg

At this point I think I'd just pull the entire assembly with the spindle. The spindle is likely toast anyway, if the bearing is that stuck its done significant damage. And if the brakes have been serviced as recently as that bearing, I'd bet that they need just about everything replaced anyway.

Might be a good time to consider thinking about a disk brake upgrade...

***Edit***

Just noticed you're in Sac. I am too, and believe it or not I have one of those drum pullers. I still stand by my previous statement, but shoot me a PM if you still want to give a drum puller a try. I may also have most of a disk brake set up if you want to go that route too.

I will try and chip away at the bearing and see if I can't pull some of the bearings out to pull the hub. I am currently stuck in Dixon as that's where the car broke. Thankfully I had all my tools in the car and my girlfriend lives here.

The passanger side was slightly fused together and I pried it off and sanded down the burrs on the spindle. Do you think that it might be weakened from that and I should not drive on it? I was able to get new bearings on it and fixed it all up. Blah.

If you get a puller and pop it off, the inner race will most likely be stuck on the spindle because it spun on it with no grease. Usually you have to either crack it with a chisel or VERY carefully cut it off with a grinder-grind it thin then crack it with a good chisel. If the spindle is badly burnt and blue, it's not safe anymore. Cheap chinese grinders at a pawn shop or harbor freight can be had for $10 or so.

If you get a puller and pop it off, the inner race will most likely be stuck on the spindle because it spun on it with no grease. Usually you have to either crack it with a chisel or VERY carefully cut it off with a grinder-grind it thin then crack it with a good chisel. If the spindle is badly burnt and blue, it's not safe anymore. Cheap chinese grinders at a pawn shop or harbor freight can be had for $10 or so.

I use a dremel to cut it then a chisel to split it and knock it off and then I used a grinding wheel on the Dremel to even it out enough to get the bearings on. The passenger side had no bearings whatsoever and was easy to just pull off the driver side on the other hand has most of the bearing still intact and is being a pain irent a puller.

Sorry if my typing is out of whack and punctuation is worse at best. Doing all of this on much phone since I have no access to a computer.

I used a grinding wheel on the Dremel to even it out enough to get the bearings on.

Ouch.

Those spindles are done. The bearings inner race is a precision fit to the spindle. If you had to grind on it, even just with a Dremel, then it isn't a precision fit anymore. If the bearing has any slop between it and the spindle, it will wear out the spindle even more as you drive it.

At this point, I would say that the best you could do would be to patch it up with new bearings and drive it backroads home. I don't think I'd be inclined to keep driving it with those spindles for any amount of time/distance after that.

Just a word of warning... Bearing steel is worse than glass in the body. The more you dig the deeper it goes. In your eye ?.. It might come out the back of your head. LOL
Seriously, BE CAREFUL
If you can make a nice groove the inner race with a grinder and then crack it
you might find the spindle can be saved. Good luck with it

All fixed up new bearings on. Used a hub puller and it pulled it right off very quickly. Thank you all for the advice. Spindle only had a slight groove torn out of it around it and I was able to sort of smooth it over for the bearing to go back on its good for a quick fix for now I think. Drove around the block a few times no smoke and no spitting of Greece. The clicking I was experiencing is now gone as well, I guess I learned a lesson on how to tighten bearings.

-
Back