Wheel opening mouldings...yes..no?

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
Trying to decide on putting the wheel opening mouldings back on the Duster or having the holes filled while they are doing body work??? Do you prefer mouldings or not??

Hard decision......maybe if it was a total stocker that was highly optioned. But a cool hot rodded ride?.....no way. I chucked mine.

My opinion, it's better to keep them on the car. They belong there, you'll always have them, they won't get damaged/misplaced.

This car had basically no option other than carpet, AM radio, and wheel lip mouldings. The car is FJ5 green with black interior. I am having the "blackout hood" style paint done when we get to that point. Just trying to decide on a few of these small things. The bodyman is asking on welding up the moulding screw holes or not.

It really depends on the color of the car along with the wheel choice you make. There are a few members here that can "photoshop" stuff.....

Chunk 'em. Personally I've never been a fan of a lot of chrome and I like a lil more of a modern look. I wish I would have remembered to fill the holes while having the body work done. My car is blue with a black hood and I painted my door handles, mirror, and glass trim black. Really sets it off. I painted the drip rail trim blue because the shiny stainless stuck out too much. It blends in now. Only chrome I have is some on the wheels and the bumpers. Its just enough. But hey, its your car, so you gotta do what you like. Good luck!

Here's a little wheel opening molding trivia - what car came from the factory with only the front wheel opening molding in place?

insert Jeopardy music here...

That's right, the '68 Hurst hemi Darts!

The car is originally FJ5 green. I may go back with something closer to FJ6. Anyway I plan to run 15" aftermarket wheels. I think with the green paint and the blackout that continues along the top of the fenders, down the top edge of the door and up and around the 1/4 glasses, I will fill the wheel moulding holes. I looked last night and most of the cars with the blackout did not have the mouldings.

Here's a little wheel opening molding trivia - what car came from the factory with only the front wheel opening molding in place?

insert Jeopardy music here...

That's right, the '68 Hurst hemi Darts!

My dad said his only came with either front or back trim, can't remember, but think the factory just screwed up. Also sent it with the wrong gears, 3.23 instead on 3.92. Damn Chrysler Corp, go figure!

Wouldn't have come with rear trim since the Hemi Darts had enlarged wheel openings.

Chrysler was trying to upsell even with their race cars.

Car probably came with 3.23 gears because it was up to the racers to decide gear ratio. Most likely ran 4.56 or 4.88.

If they are in great shape - I would be interested in them for my 75 Dart Sport - especially the rears

You don`t know what I was thinking about trading yet! But after reading the other post I would not want to take your wife`s car. Oh, does she like 70 coke bottle shaped cars and can she drive a 4sp yet? Also are you going to add a/c on the 70 Duster? Wayne

Well with that statement, you just answered your own question....build it the way you want to8)

That is the problem....I don't know..lol Don't want to weld the holes up then want the mouldings. Also don't want to leave the holes and not use the mouldings.

I have been thinking that with the hood blackout and the blackout going up and around the 1/4 windows, maybe without would be a "cleaner" look.

The wheel opening mouldings look great on any Duster when it has the stainless rocker moulding on the car as well.....(which I am looking for a pair):toothy10:

I could have put the mouldings on my Duster when I had it painted in 2004, I decided that if I ever got caught coming from a show or anywhere in the rain that these mouldings would get wet and that the possibility of water under the trim would create more of a problem than it would be worth so I sold my trim . I think the car looks better IMO. :happy10:

I am thinking the same thing about my Swinger I am leaving the holes just in case I put them on later. Its not like you can see them standing next to the car. plus it may help (very little) with water and crud from building under the lip.
So I may have a set FS later;)

-
Back