wheel openings

-
its a 423 HP 470 footpounds 408, running through a 727 and 3.23 gears
i dont know it it spun or not (first time at the track, got a little excited running down the alley and didnt pay much attention at all)

i dont know it it spun or not (first time at the track, got a little excited running down the alley and didnt pay much attention at all)
So, I'm guessing it's about a 14 or 15 second car. In that case 1.98 is about right as long as you aren't spinning at launch. Have somebody video the launch for you or just watch it. Personally I like the look for the street, but my Duster would never hook with the rear end up like that. If it works for you that's the important thing!

Your 60 ft. should be alot better than that unless it is spinning bad.

it should be much better then a 14 second car, provided i can keep fuel to it
(i have since replaced the fuel pump with a high flow carter unit)

my best run of the day was with those 60 foot times (worst 60 footers were 2.30s)
1/8th ET was 8.7194 at 74.48 MPH
right about there, i run out of fuel, and coasted to a
1/4 ET of 14.9149 at 71.88 MPH

im not sure if the rear end works like it should or if im leaving a lot on the table
im planning on bringing it back down, once i can find/afford rims that i can get decent tires for

i mostly plan on driving an old mopar and looking good doing it
IMHO it is hard to beat those 14X10 slots

of course, if i can do it while going fast, thats a big plus

When we back halved the Buddies car we drew a line above the wheel opening and parallel to the ground. Then went out clear of the opening on each end and drew straight down. Cut out the wheel area in as good a square as we could get it, with a cutoff wheel. You then cut that piece in half, up through the center and move the opening as big as you like. Tack it back to the remaining quarter and make a filler for the center, then prep the whole assembly and weld it all back together solid. When we were finished most people wouldn't know it was ever touched.

ProRacers-2.jpg

2 options, other than hacking the **** out of your quarters, are to move the rear back or to lengthen the opening. Here are the 2 examples respectively. If you really wanted to go super huge, like 33" rubber or something, you could do both methods.

16378_10204960777488574_6317630999826702274_n.jpg

00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg

The first picture is moved back 1.5" with a 28" tire. The 2nd is stretched with a 28" tire.

923146_10201040519524575_1737147150_n.jpg

Both of those look good roccodart440.

Thanks.

I did the first one with stretched wells because I was afraid lengthening the wheelbase would affect weight transfer. After an expensive learning curve, I can tell you it doesn't. I would simply move it back 1.5" with the front hangers and be done with it. Not to mention saving thousands of dollars you can spend elsewhere..

Here are a few more ways to do wheel well openings .
The first one was a Dodge Demon I help a friend build . I am lazy so we moved the wheel base forward about 5 inches . Used a set of S/W frame rails , cut the front of the quarter panel and moved the sheet metal forward . had a parts car and cut out a patch panel to close the gap . The second shot is a Dodge Colt I built in the mid 80's . Used a extended wheel flair for a Vega for the top sides and the old metal that was cut from the stock opening . The third shot is a stretched and altered wheel opening on my 66 cuda . Used the old sheet metal on the front and a repo patch panel n the back to move it forward and stretch it .
more 001.jpg
1966 afx 009.jpg

wheel well opening 001.jpg

Mine were opened up back in the late 70s when my father still owned the car. Not quite as big as the super stock darts but plenty big enough for slicks on stock Ramcharger wheels.
0801161001.jpg

Yeah,he laid them out, then had his buddy cut them out in his body shop

-
Back