SGlez10

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Coupe

Small Bolt Pattern (5x4)

Unsure of backspacing

No modifications have been made (Stock)

I have a pair of 15inch oem Chrysler steelies they are 15x6 for my small bolt pattern which I am going to mount in the front with 235/60R15

In the back I plan on putting 255/60R15 but I have not purchased the wheels yet. Before I do I’d like to get some help/advice/answers/suggestions.

So my questions are:

What size wheel will I need to fit that 255 in the back?

Do I need 15x7 or 15x8? (Remember this is SBP)

Does anyone have similar wheels and tires on their 67-69 Barracuda?

??? I don't think Mopar ever made any 15" small bolt pattern wheels. They must be aftermarket or custom fabricated.

To determine the wheel width you need, go to Tirerack.com and look up the tires you want, then check the Minimum Rim Width column in the specs — that will tell you what you need to know.

??? I don't think Mopar ever made any 15" small bolt pattern wheels. They must be aftermarket or custom fabricated.

To determine the wheel width you need, go to Tirerack.com and look up the tires you want, then check the Minimum Rim Width column in the specs — that will tell you what you need to know.
Yea Wheel Vintiques makes them. I’ve attached photos of what they look like and you’ll see the 5x4 sbp on there

IMG_9329.jpeg

I run 255x60x15 on my fastback and I’m almost certain they 8” wheels from wheel vintiques. The 7” had a larger 4.25 backspacing and I just measure my front spacing quickly at 4” which would be 2.75 if I had 7”. I would be careful with the front, I have 215/60/15 on mine with no problem but previously I had 225/50/17 on all 4 corners and the front wheel cleared fender when turning. Change to disc brakes and first ride out I folded the corner of the fender, try to avoid that it’s heartbreaking. All 5x4 bolt pattern, stock A body 8 3/4 rear

I run 255x60x15 on my fastback and I’m almost certain they 8” wheels from wheel vintiques. The 7” had a larger 4.25 backspacing and I just measure my front spacing quickly at 4” which would be 2.75 if I had 7”. I would be careful with the front, I have 215/60/15 on mine with no problem but previously I had 225/50/17 on all 4 corners and the front wheel cleared fender when turning. Change to disc brakes and first ride out I folded the corner of the fender, try to avoid that it’s heartbreaking. All 5x4 bolt pattern, stock A body 8 3/4 rear
For the front I have the 15x6 and I planned on putting 235’s on the front, I didn’t think clearing would be a problem and yes I have disc brakes in the front. I guess I’ll have to measure the front now. Will I need 15x7 if I want to mount 235’s in the front?

I have 215/60/15 on front with 15x6. If you run 235s you maybe ok, you may fold your fender over in a turn I’m not 100% sure . Maybe there are some guys on here that run them that will chime in. Below is a photo where it can hit. I do know a 225/50/17 will hit and according to this tire calculator, 235/60 is larger in size.

IMG_0560.jpeg

IMG_0169.png

Here is picture Of the 17”. They were deleted quickly but it could have been a backspacing problem more than tire size problem. But what I’m getting at is if you run the 235s when you set the car down carefully turn the wheels with someone watching and make sure you have comfortable distance

IMG_1149.jpeg

62958185231__D2FB24DB-D9C0-423E-A0AB-8F332B814D73.jpeg

I’ve had 245/60/15 with 15x7 and small bolt pattern axles in the rear of my 68 Barracuda coupe with 100% OE untouched quarter panels

My car had original rear leaf springs and was not jacked up in any means.

I should ok 255/60/15 with 15x7 with 4.25” backspace. Same with 15x8 4.5” backspace.

If you get a little inner tire sidewall to spring rubbing, add 3/16” spacer

Last edited:
235/60/15's in the front will be difficult with the wheel openings on a Barracuda. That tire is 26.1" tall, and the lower front corner of the wheel opening is pretty darn tight on a Barracuda.

Take a look at this post about the modifications needed for a 26" tall tire on a Barracuda. This particular modification was to run a tall and wide tire, but the height is a larger factor. The 235/60/15's might not require this much, but it will depend on the backspace as well. Definitely something you need to consider at least

1968 Barracuda Front Fender Modification for 26" Tires

Here is picture Of the 17”. They were deleted quickly but it could have been a backspacing problem more than tire size problem. But what I’m getting at is if you run the 235s when you set the car down carefully turn the wheels with someone watching and make sure you have comfortable distance

View attachment 1716154601

View attachment 1716154602

View attachment 1716154601

View attachment 1716154602
Thanks for the images. Once I get the tires I’ll run those tests to make sure I have enough clearance in the front.

235/60/15's in the front will be difficult with the wheel openings on a Barracuda. That tire is 26.1" tall, and the lower front corner of the wheel opening is pretty darn tight on a Barracuda.

Take a look at this post about the modifications needed for a 26" tall tire on a Barracuda. This particular modification was to run a tall and wide tire, but the height is a larger factor. The 235/60/15's might not require this much, but it will depend on the backspace as well. Definitely something you need to consider at least

This ^^^^ is the answer you need to pay attention to. I couldn't have said it better.

Would customizing the backspacing on the front tires make any difference? There’s a local guy here in socal that will get the most out of backspacing by modifying the wheels. So I’m hoping that’ll help.

Would customizing the backspacing on the front tires make any difference? There’s a local guy here in socal that will get the most out of backspacing by modifying the wheels. So I’m hoping that’ll help.

Yes, it will help. But with 15" rims there is a max backspacing before the inside rim lip hits the upper control arm.

You have small bolt front disks, correct? What spindle are you running with what brake kit?

Factory small bolt disks have a narrower front track. And may put the rim just slightly closer to the upper ball joint than a 73-76 A-body large bolt setup. I've never compared the two.

With 73-76 A-body disk spindles with 15" rims, the max front backspace is 4.5" with factory. And it's close. You should run stick on wheel weights on the inside side of rim.

Also your front end alignment and past body work will factor on how much room you have with un-modified 67-69 Barracuda fenders. More positive caster typically brings the front tire toward the back of the car. Giving more front wheel lip clearance.

I think 225/60/15, 15x7 with 4.25 backspace will be really iffy for you. You should really mock this up on both sides before running it. If you can run a 15x7 with 4.5" backspace, that will help. Still no guarantee's. I'm not sure you can fit 4.5" backspace on a 15x7 hoop. Due to the width of the center drop out. Check with Collins Custom Wheels on Alondra Blvd.

I think 215/60/15, 15x7 with 4.25 backspace is a safer bet.

Last edited:
We put 15x8 sbp Wheel Vintiques with 4" BS and 275/60-15 on dad's 69 notchback. He is running the HD rear leaf springs. No other mods.

Yes, it will help. But with 15" rims there is a max backspacing before the inside rim lip hits the upper control arm.

You have small bolt front disks, correct? What spindle are you running with what brake kit?

Factory small bolt disks have a narrower front track. And may put the rim just slightly closer to the upper ball joint than a 73-76 A-body large bolt setup. I've never compared the two.

With 73-76 A-body disk spindles with 15" rims, the max front backspace is 4.5" with factory. And it's close. You should run stick on wheel weights on the inside side of rim.

Also your front end alignment and past body work will factor on how much room you have with un-modified 67-69 Barracuda fenders. More positive caster typically brings the front tire toward the back of the car. Giving more front wheel lip clearance.

I think 225/60/15, 15x7 with 4.25 backspace will be really iffy for you. You should really mock this up on both sides before running it. If you can run a 15x7 with 4.5" backspace, that will help. Still no guarantee's. I'm not sure you can fit 4.5" backspace on a 15x7 hoop. Due to the width of the center drop out. Check with Collins Custom Wheels on Alondra Blvd.

Totally agree. Could a custom backspace gain a little bit of room for tires? Sure. But it’s going to be such a small amount I don’t think it would be worth it, and the front lower corner of the fender would likely still be an issue.

Yes small bolt front disc brakes but I am unsure of the spindles or the brake kit, my dad set that up and I’m not as well versed in this to remember.

I currently have 15x6 oem steelies for the front which I aimed to try 235’s on but will obviously do with whatever the car allows. I don’t plan on cutting so we will see what we can do with getting the most of backspacing.

As for the rear if I am going with 255 should I get a 15x7 or 15x8 wheel?

How about the front?
He has a 15x6 I think. We just switched to SBP Centerlines. I will tag him here @Just Ron hopefully he sees this and replies with front tire size. Here is the car. I guess it is 215/70R15

20230603_164912.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so the tire is a little taller but not as wide. At this point I’m going to have to mount it to find out.

As for the rear wheel, I’m going with 255 so a 15x8 is best correct?
I would say a 15x7 or 15x8 would be fine.

-
Back