Wheel size for a 2002 Ram?

-

JCMini30

Reaction score
My daily driver is a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. Single cab, short bed 2 wheel drive. My wife owned it when we got married and I started driving it when she got a new car.

Trying to sharpen its looks up a bit. Going to level it with rear shackles and trying to decide on wheels. It has the 17in factory steel wheels with the chrome covers.

I want to go to an all black wheel but can't decide on diameter. The tires for the 17s seem to cost as much if not more than tires for 18s and 20s. Any of you guys/gals drive Rams and have any thoughts or suggestions about this topic? Example pics would be great as well.

Photo is of truck loaded with watermelons so it is sitting lower than it will with the rear leveled.

Dodge.jpg

If you use your truck as a truck, stay with 17s.

Yea if I used it as a truck I wouldn't lower it either. Well honestly I don't even think its fair to call it a truck. It only has the V6. Those melons are the only real load it has carried, ever. Doesn't even have a receiver setup. With the rake the rear has it makes it nearly impossible to use a ball on the bumper, it sits too high.

I use a 97 Ram 2500 Diesel to use for any real pulling/work.

The 17's are the smallest your going to find for that truck. There are some nice aftermarket wheels out there that won't break you up on price. I have a set at the shop that run about $131.00 each and another that runs $125.00.

A few things, your truck is either a V-6 or 4.7 V-8.
The aftermarket wheels will weigh a bunch, this will make a v-6 way down on power.
The 4.7 could handle the factory 20" wheel better, if you have the optional 3.92 rear gear.
To me, you are better off with the stock wheel size.
I put the factory 20" wheel on my sons truck, it was a 5.7 HEMI with 3.55 gears.
It looked better, but was quicker with the factory 17" wheel size.

I had 22's on my 07 4.7l 2wd. No issues and it didn't affect the mileage too much either, maybe a mile per gallon. The tire diameter was the same as the factory 20's they replaced. Only real difference was the weight. There are alot of aftermarket 17's out there that are really cheap and aren't heavy like has been stated. Go to Ebay and type in 5x5.5 17 rim or wheel also and see what all comes up, there are thousands of styles out there to suit your needs.

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 60
Oh and I gave $1100 brand new for the wheels and new Nitto 420s tires. I have a friend that sells wheels and tires so I got a deal on them.

some factory 20's would make it seem like a new truck and id think you can get a decent price
heres my 05
429294_355889654429324_100000248762884_1341984_1636463176_n.jpg

Thanks guys. The factory 20s sound like a good way to go. Now to find some.

-
Back