Wheel spacers

-

1973dust

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a 73 duster with a big bolt 7 1/4", 2.76 open gear. The way I drive, I'll probably never hurt the wimpy rear and I'm not sure that going to a 2.94 or 3.23 gear would really be worth the effort to install a different rear axle. I definitely wouldn't put the money into the 7 1/4" to re-gear. Anyway, I've always hated the way the rear tires are tucked in on the car. I've got 14 x 6 rallyes with 4" backspace and 225/70R14 tires with 1/2" clearance to the springs and
2 5/8" clearance to the quarters. I am a machinist by trade and could make my own wheel spacers if that is not a dumb idea. I would probably want about 1 3/4" but I'm just not sure about the safety aspect of that. I also don't know if it would be better to make bolt-on spacers or straight spacers with longer wheel studs. I would make them hub-centric either way. On my bucket list, the next time I need tires, I would like to go with 15" Torque Thrust wheels in which case I could go with a wider rim and not need as much of a spacer.

Crap, I just realized this should have gone in the wheel forum.

Making your own spacer isn't a "dumb idea" as long as you do it right.

I don't personally like using plain spacers if they're going to be thicker than a 1/4", although they generally make plain spacers up to about a 1/2" thick. By plain I mean the kind that just slide over the studs and would require longer studs.

For bolt on spacers, the off-road types use spacers up to around 3" thick, so 1-3/4" wouldn't be a huge deal. Typically they're made out of 6061 aluminum. Remember that just like aluminum rims, you're supposed to check the torque after 100 miles or so and that means checking BOTH sets of lug nuts, so, you have to remove the wheel. If you torque to spec and check the torque as required you'll be fine.

As far as making them, you can usually buy 1.5" spacers in the $50-$70 ballpark. So, even though you may be able to make them yourself, at that price it may not be worth your time to set up your machines to do it...
2X 5x4.5 5x114.3 Wheel Spacers 1.5" Fits Ford Ranger Mustang Explorer 1/2" Studs | eBay

Thanks, that would obviously be a lot less work than modifying and swapping and entire rear axle, brakes, new driveshaft, etc.
I had looked at some online before but was a little scared of China parts. Those look to be high quality. I guess as long as they are billet 6061 and not cast they should be fine. I'll have to try to find a set that have the proper center bore dimension for Mopar wheels.

-
Back