Wheels and Tires on the 65 Dart

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

Fabo members, Yes, I'm still working on the 65 Dart Revisited Restoration, and I need some help. Body work and paint, I'm OK, but with mechanics and suspension...I need help. I am installing a '72 340 block, 4bb, with 1968 internals, racer brown cam, forged crank, X heads, also, a 904 with a 3000 stall converter, an 8-3/4 SG with 3.23 gears, and LBP Nitro axles using drums in the rear with 1972 Plymouth discs in front, and my rear wheel openings will be untouched stock.....that is what I am working with. Now for the questions. I have not ordered or purchased my wheels/rims or tires, and in order to hook up reasonably, and have the room for the wheels and tires, and be appropriate for the engine, transmission, differential, and the space which the car has for wheels and tires. Can someone give me some recommendations on rear rim width, rim back spacing, rim size (14" or 15"), tire size, and etc? I do not know much regarding these questions, so I will appreciate your help/advice. Thanks. Old Dart 66.

Fabo members, Yes, I'm still working on the 65 Dart Revisited Restoration, and I need some help. Body work and paint, I'm OK, but with mechanics and suspension...I need help. I am installing a '72 340 block, 4bb, with 1968 internals, racer brown cam, forged crank, X heads, also, a 904 with a 3000 stall converter, an 8-3/4 SG with 3.23 gears, and LBP Nitro axles using drums in the rear with 1972 Plymouth discs in front, and my rear wheel openings will be untouched stock.....that is what I am working with. Now for the questions. I have not ordered or purchased my wheels/rims or tires, and in order to hook up reasonably, and have the room for the wheels and tires, and be appropriate for the engine, transmission, differential, and the space which the car has for wheels and tires. Can someone give me some recommendations on rear rim width, rim back spacing, rim size (14" or 15"), tire size, and etc? I do not know much regarding these questions, so I will appreciate your help/advice. Thanks. Old Dart 66.
I have 2 65 Darts and 15x6 are as big as you will fit with stock tubs. If you can adjust the back spacing, I have 2 brand new 15x7 and 2 brand new 15x8 OEM steel wheels. I paid Classics $112/each for and will give you a deal and ship them to you.

I have 2 65 Darts and 15x6 are as big as you will fit with stock tubs. If you can adjust the back spacing, I have 2 brand new 15x7 and 2 brand new 15x8 OEM steel wheels. I paid Classics $112/each for and will give you a deal and ship them to you.

Thanks for the heads up on the wheel size. To be up front, this 65 is my dream car ad I had the Dart GT Charger back in '71. So with that said, I am choosing to go with some nice looking wheels. I thank you for your time and input. Best. Old Dart 66.

So what you are saying is you got the big bolt pattern in the back and small bolt pattern in the front ?

Last edited:
Something like cop car rims with 205/60-15's on all four corners should fit and do fine for general use. With an early A, width becomes an issue in the rear, and overall diameter becomes a problem up front.

65 and 66 rear tubs are the same. I have 15x7 4" backspace on my 66. Quite a bit of room.

20170927_111502.jpg

So what you are saying is you got the big bolt pattern in the back and small bolt pattern in the front ?

Hey Johnny, Sorry that I was not clear in my description, and thank you for responding. I went to the LBP on all four corners. Appreciate it. Old Dart 66

Hey Johnny, Sorry that I was not clear in my description, and thank you for responding. I went to the LBP on all four corners. Appreciate it. Old Dart 66

Got it.
So it sounds like you are not interested in the steel wheel/dog dish route.
You stated you want some " Nice looking wheels".
What wheels do you have in mind ?

As always measuring your own car is the best way but i put 15x7 with 4.25" bs and was able to run 235/60 15 with no rubbing at all with sbp with drums on my 66. i now have a 65 and running 15x7 with 4 bs so i ran 225/60 15s no problems on the sbp 7 1/4, however when i went to rear discs i had to downsize my tire due to the discs taking up another 1/4 inch so i am currently running 205/60 15s.

IMG_1248.JPG

Got it.
So it sounds like you are not interested in the steel wheel/dog dish route.
You stated you want some " Nice looking wheels".
What wheels do you have in mind ?
Hey Johnny, To be honest, not really decided at this point, but I have always been partial to the original Cragar SS appearance. I have them on the 66 Dart, and most folks like them. OEM ralleye is what my wife likes. Thanks. Old Dart 66

Thanks to all.....looks like there are a variety of options. I will keep studying the posts here and make a preliminary decision. I will post that decision to be sure I am not screwing things up. Thanks again. Old Dart 66

I tried a couple ralleys on my 66 once just to see what they look like.
fall07 042.jpg
fall07 043.jpg

Yes TMM, My wife likes that OEM look, and your car is sure that look. I am thinking that the original Cragar SS, for now, might be nice. Still, a bit of time to think about it. Thanks for the photos....Appreciate it. Old Dart 66.

As always measuring your own car is the best way but i put 15x7 with 4.25" bs and was able to run 235/60 15 with no rubbing at all with sbp with drums on my 66. i now have a 65 and running 15x7 with 4 bs so i ran 225/60 15s no problems on the sbp 7 1/4, however when i went to rear discs i had to downsize my tire due to the discs taking up another 1/4 inch so i am currently running 205/60 15s.

View attachment 1715128750
I am considering purchasing a set of 15 inch Cragar SS rims for my 1964 Dart GT with stock everything. I want to convert to disc brakes in the front in the future. I do not desire rear disc brakes. With that said, I want a wider tire in the back and a slimmer tire in the front due to manual steering. What tire sizes and rim backspacing should I buy?

I am considering purchasing a set of 15 inch Cragar SS rims for my 1964 Dart GT with stock everything. I want to convert to disc brakes in the front in the future. I do not desire rear disc brakes. With that said, I want a wider tire in the back and a slimmer tire in the front due to manual steering. What tire sizes and rim backspacing should I buy?
15x7" and a 4" backspace fit on the rear with a 225 60 or 70 series tire. I kept the 14x6 on the front except for the latest which is a 15x4''.

10-18-19.jpg

10-18-19c.jpg

001c.jpg

So, you have a 15x4 inch rim on the front right now, what is the backspacing on the front rims, and what size thinner tires can I choose to make the manual steering a little easier to handle?

-
Back