wheelstand cars Post your pic's here

-
I pitted for Maverick in 62-67. The Little Red Wagon had the engine in the bed mouted in a sub frame, a shortened 727 coupled to a dana 70. It had a heavy tailgate. Mostly Bill did it with horsepower. I saw him haze the tires on the tailgate at 1000' at Orange county in 67.

I pitted for Maverick in 62-67. The Little Red Wagon had the engine in the bed mouted in a sub frame, a shortened 727 coupled to a dana 70. It had a heavy tailgate. Mostly Bill did it with horsepower. I saw him haze the tires on the tailgate at 1000' at Orange county in 67.

Bob told me a similar story that happened to him. He said at the top end these cars are like a sheet of plywood in the wind. He caught a gust of wind that unloaded the rear tires and they just lit up. Everyone thought he blew the engine, but it was the tires breaking loose.

lookes like a ford 9" turned upside down????)

Nope. It's a GM HO52 or HO72. I know because Bob has a whole row of them behind his shop. Most people call it an Eaton 10.5", but it was actually made by GM. There is a lot of Info on it on 67-72chevytrucks.com & Pirate 4x4. It shares alot of similarities with the GM 14 Bolt rear end, except it has a removable punkin like the 8-3/4" and 9" Ford, which is a lot easier to work on. The Dana sucks with the adjustment shims. Don't try to fix one in the field. And it only has 2 spider gears.

The GM HO52 or HO72 came in 1946-1972 Chevy and GMC 3/4 - 1 ton pickups. It looks alot like a 9" Ford, only bigger, stronger, and a less severe hypoid angle (less HP loss). It has a 10.5" ring gear (actually closer to 10") and "4" LARGE spider gears.

The "4" large spider gears are a must when using steering brakes. Some are using 9" Fords with NASCAR 4 gear carriers, but you can't run on the back side of the ring gear very long.

With a 2 gear transfer box like the Casale, the driveshaft rotation into the rear end is still the same (clockwise). With a 3 gear transfer case like the NP205, you are turning the driveshaft backwards (counter clockwise), so you are driving off the back side of the ring gear. Most rear ends won't run that way very long, but the HO72 handles it very well because it also has a ring gear Load Bolt. The HO52 & HO72 came with both 2 & 4 spider gears, with and without Load Bolts. You want the one with 4 spider gears and a Load Bolt. Best years are 1968-1972, next would be 1961-1967.

One interesting thing about the HO rear ends is that the bolt pattern is symmetrical. You can turn it 180 degrees and it still bolts up. You can also remove the rear cover, and it will bolt on the back side in either direction too. And if you want to go from the original 17 spline axles to an updated 14 bolt rear end axle with 30 splines, all you have to do is swap the side gears.

I wanted to narrow my HO72 a little, the cheapest way I could. One axle is 6" shorter than the other, so I got another short axle and cut the long side of the housing 6". Now I only need to carry one axle as a spare.

More info coming. I'm am building a 2001 Dakota (Does an "AN" body count) with a blown 440, 727 4x4 transmission with a bolt on NP205 rotated 1 bolt hole so the front output is almost straight down. I was originally going to use a short tailshaft truck 727 and a Divorced NP205 transfer case, but the married transfer case seems easier for now. (see 1st pic)

Hope this helps,

Speedy Lee

Attachments

• 01 010 640.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 400
  • 01 012 640.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 396
  • 01 011 640.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 386
DSC08846.jpg

DSC08845.jpg

this years MATS

That Dakota looks like a cool project. The married transfer case seems like the way to go, one less driveshaft and a much more compact system. Keep us up on Dakota!

holy crow, you didn't have to cut the bed side off just to get me pic's !!! the plan is to get a ring and pinion from a dana 60 truck front axel and install into my rear end housing i have
Nope. It's a GM HO52 or HO72. I know because Bob has a whole row of them behind his shop. Most people call it an Eaton 10.5", but it was actually made by GM. There is a lot of Info on it on 67-72chevytrucks.com & Pirate 4x4. It shares alot of similarities with the GM 14 Bolt rear end, except it has a removable punkin like the 8-3/4" and 9" Ford, which is a lot easier to work on. The Dana sucks with the adjustment shims. Don't try to fix one in the field. And it only has 2 spider gears.

The GM HO52 or HO72 came in 1946-1972 Chevy and GMC 3/4 - 1 ton pickups. It looks alot like a 9" Ford, only bigger, stronger, and a less severe hypoid angle (less HP loss). It has a 10.5" ring gear (actually closer to 10") and "4" LARGE spider gears.

The "4" large spider gears are a must when using steering brakes. Some are using 9" Fords with NASCAR 4 gear carriers, but you can't run on the back side of the ring gear very long.

With a 2 gear transfer box like the Casale, the driveshaft rotation into the rear end is still the same (clockwise). With a 3 gear transfer case like the NP205, you are turning the driveshaft backwards (counter clockwise), so you are driving off the back side of the ring gear. Most rear ends won't run that way very long, but the HO72 handles it very well because it also has a ring gear Load Bolt. The HO52 & HO72 came with both 2 & 4 spider gears, with and without Load Bolts. You want the one with 4 spider gears and a Load Bolt. Best years are 1968-1972, next would be 1961-1967.

One interesting thing about the HO rear ends is that the bolt pattern is symmetrical. You can turn it 180 degrees and it still bolts up. You can also remove the rear cover, and it will bolt on the back side in either direction too. And if you want to go from the original 17 spline axles to an updated 14 bolt rear end axle with 30 splines, all you have to do is swap the side gears.

I wanted to narrow my HO72 a little, the cheapest way I could. One axle is 6" shorter than the other, so I got another short axle and cut the long side of the housing 6". Now I only need to carry one axle as a spare.

More info coming. I'm am building a 2001 Dakota (Does an "AN" body count) with a blown 440, 727 4x4 transmission with a bolt on NP205 rotated 1 bolt hole so the front output is almost straight down. I was originally going to use a short tailshaft truck 727 and a Divorced NP205 transfer case, but the married transfer case seems easier for now. (see 1st pic)

Hope this helps,

Speedy Lee

Here's a Link to the New 04-23-2012 NHRA Exhibition Vehicle Rule Booklet:

[ame]http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/2012%20Exhibition%20Vehicle%20Rulebook%20Supplement.pdf[/ame]

These 3 pictures of the HEMI Under Glass were taken at a car show in April 2008. I believe it was built in the of winter 2007-2008. He built it the way it was Originally built in 1967. It has an 8-3/4" rear end and Dual handle brakes. I think he told me at it was soon after this that they got tired of changing spider gears in the 8-3/4" and changed to the HO72 GM rear end. He also went to a single handled steering brake later. He used Wilwood Calipers because the Hurst-Airheart calipers are no longer made.

The engine, transmission and transfer gears are mounted together on a 2"x3" steel tubing subframe. The subframe pivots at the front on a frame cross-member and the 8-3/4" rear end is attached to the stock leaf springs for suspension.

Bob recommended that the rear end be suspended and not mounted rigidly, because it is more forgiving, especially on rough tracks. If you are going to do figure 8's, I think the rear should definitely be suspended.

Attachments

• 01 014 640.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 01 002 640.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 346
  • 01 001 640.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 358
Here was my 1962 Ford Van, it was in 20 magazines in the 70's. Hot Rod twice. I owned a Van Conversion company at the time (Vans LTD in Santa Rosa Calif.), and had this in my head for years.It was super reliable,did wheelie's upon request. It had a 440 w/tunnel ram & 727, with a V drive I had built by a machine shop. Never broke anything, and drove it to Van runs over 1,000 round trip.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1140191631276.2021408.1421974018&type=3&l=b06e208987

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1138817436922.2021233.1421974018&type=3&l=07554e08a3

Thank you for posting that!!! awesome, the rules actually make sense...although I plan to run at local oval and figure eight track's theres nuthing wrong with building for the big time, I doubt my car will ever see over 60 mph on one of the Lil' track's I have been invited to. I see the safety side as being very informative and I'll follow those guidelines, I had already planned on having two seperate braking systems for safety as the trans I have has a drum on it I had planned on using that and front drum's for foot brake and seperate system for the steering brakes, i'll be looking thru this rulebook carefully when I start building, the part about using a suspension in the rear is making good sense also thank you so much for this info and the pic's are greatly appreciated
Here's a Link to the New 04-23-2012 NHRA Exhibition Vehicle Rule Booklet:

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/2012 Exhibition Vehicle Rulebook Supplement.pdf

here's some from some mags.....
and a street car that wont wheel stand........
[ame="http://youtu.be/JqlYkLQ96Ag"]302 Found[/ame]

Attachments

• IMGP5449.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 336
  • IMGP5450.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 317
  • IMGP5453.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 298
Is the rear part of the 2x3 subframe attached to the rearend solidly and pivots at the front where it is mounted to the crossmember?
These 3 pictures of the HEMI Under Glass were taken at a car show in April 2008. I believe it was built in the of winter 2007-2008. He built it the way it was Originally built in 1967. It has an 8-3/4" rear end and Dual handle brakes. I think he told me at it was soon after this that they got tired of changing spider gears in the 8-3/4" and changed to the HO72 GM rear end. He also went to a single handled steering brake later. He used Wilwood Calipers because the Hurst-Airheart calipers are no longer made.

The engine, transmission and transfer gears are mounted together on a 2"x3" steel tubing subframe. The subframe pivots at the front on a frame cross-member and the 8-3/4" rear end is attached to the stock leaf springs for suspension.

Bob recommended that the rear end be suspended and not mounted rigidly, because it is more forgiving, especially on rough tracks. If you are going to do figure 8's, I think the rear should definitely be suspended.

This 360 ought to do the trick till somebody drops off a hemi to use

Attachments

• 3608barrel 009.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 259
  • 3608barrel 008.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 3608barrel 004.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 3608barrel 003.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 3608barrel 002.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 3608barrel 001.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 266
Sweet ride waggs! I can't wait to see what it can do.. The one tip I can give you is to wear a diaper on your maiden voyage, you might need it when that thing gets airborne.

mock up progress

Attachments

• the beast 049.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 244
  • the beast 045.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 229
  • the beast 047.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 253
Is the rear part of the 2x3 subframe attached to the rearend solidly and pivots at the front where it is mounted to the crossmember?

Yes.

The first 2 pictures in post #58 are taken from the back of the car looking forward.

If you look at the rear end housing from left to right in the picture, first you see the wheel, tire and disc brakes. Then the leaf spring mount. Then the 2x3" frame mount to the rear end, then the shock mounts. The 2x3" frame goes straight forward from the rear end, parallel to the stock frame. It angles inward after the rear end to attach the V-drive. The sub frame pivots at the front and the leaf springs keeps the rear part of the sub frame centered.

What happened to the WAGON???

The waggin.....still lives but will be big block, this barracuda needs lovin right now...the waggin can wait......thank You for your help...this is gonna happen :)
Yes.

The first 2 pictures in post #58 are taken from the back of the car looking forward.

If you look at the rear end housing from left to right in the picture, first you see the wheel, tire and disc brakes. Then the leaf spring mount. Then the 2x3" frame mount to the rear end, then the shock mounts. The 2x3" frame goes straight forward from the rear end, parallel to the stock frame. It angles inward after the rear end to attach the V-drive. The sub frame pivots at the front and the leaf springs keeps the rear part of the sub frame centered.

What happened to the WAGON???

Checkin' in on your progress brother.......I found this video today and reminded me of your car 8)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pwrqpfjrj4&feature=youtu.be"]Hemi Under Glass Last Ride - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back